Dec 31, 2001, 1:38 PM
Post #1 of 8
Lapse in Training
Just curiuos what the policys are at your home DZ regarding AFF courses. I am fast approaching 30 days since my last jump (level 5) and am worried the weather, both cold and possible snow in the forecast might push me past 30 days. I have been glued to the weather channel trying to figure it out.
I have heard 2 different things from my DZ, one person says take a refersher course to review safety etc, another says you have to repeat the previous level. Grrr wish they could get their shit straight. Any help??
Ultimately this is going to be up to your DZ. Remember....the USPA only makes "Recomendations" Your JM's will make the ultimate decision on what you will have to do based on their knowledge of you personally.
I would suggest you hang out at the DZ on whenever possible. And train for your Dive when your out there. This will keep things fresh in your mind and it shows your making an effort to jump. Some DZ's are cool and not trying to milk students for every penny! I have gone past 30 days twice, once because of bad weather, and the other becuase of a long lasting sinus cold and the 9-11 events. I would also go through the emergeny procedures whenever you get a chance. the place I jump allows you to go through emegency procedures anytime they are doing it. It has been nice, I have done it twice since my first training. Right now I am not current because of fundage, got laid off. I have not been making an effort to go to the DZ because I know I cannot afford to jump, so I know I will have to do a retrain! Just show some effort! you'll be fine!
At Elsinore we'd do a "re-train" and put you in the harness. Probably have you do Level 5 over again, depending on how you did the last time. Personally I'd recommend doing L5 over again along with the re-train.
My DZ requires you to take a make-up course (about an hour) which costs $35. You don't necessarily have to re-take your last jump. A friend who jumps Perris only has to take a similar $35 class but no re-takes.
I guessed wrong on the weather :( We now have 4+ inches of snow on the ground in GA! Oh well. I am itching to jump in a bad way, its been too long. I think I may follow some of the advice and redo #5. My level 5 went great with no flaws, I pulled of 3 360 rotations and redocks, but I would feel more comfy doing it again. The solo exit on #6 has me a little intimidated.
If this weather persist I will be able to afford doing 5,6,7 in one day. I plan on staying much more current once I move off of student jumps. I was hoping to have my A license by February, I'm heading to Mardi Gras and I heard something about a boogie at a DZ down that way?
Like I said thanks again, the people of DZ.com are always great!.