Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Purchasing Weights

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hazarrd

Sep 14, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 35 (3512 views)
Shortcut
Purchasing Weights Can't Post

I am in the market for a weight vest of some sort. I understand there are a few different types. I'm not really sure what to get or even where I can get them. Appreciate any information. Thanks Angelic

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Sep 14, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 35 (3503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hazarrd] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

Any gear dealer should be able to get you a weight vest or belt if they don't have them in stock. If you can get to a gear store that has both, see if you can put a jump on each type.

I've jumped both a vest and a belt and I much prefer the belt.

Expect to pay US$75 - $125ish for either a belt or vest with 6-10 pounds in it. If you think you'll need more lead than that ask if additional weights are available and what the maximum the vest/belt will hold is.

Hazarrd

Sep 14, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 35 (3494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

What are some advantages/disadvantages between the two options? Are there other options? How concerned should I be by increasing by wing loading which is only at about 1.05 right now. Thanks Tongue

AggieDave  (D License)

Sep 14, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #4 of 35 (3483 views)
Shortcut

You know, a rigger at my DZ built weight belts out of some weight lifting (think gym) belts. The new style belts, the ones that are made out of cordura and velcro, not the old style made of leather, then took some cordura and made velcro-ed pouches, took lead shot and whipped up some bags for the shot (think ziploc) and created a well built, comfortable, inexpensive weight belt for some jumpers at my DZ.

Just something to think about (all in all I think it took about $25-30 and about an hour per belt, with weight).

headoverheels  (D License)

Sep 14, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #5 of 35 (3482 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
What are some advantages/disadvantages between the two options? Are there other options? How concerned should I be by increasing by wing loading which is only at about 1.05 right now. Thanks Tongue

I recommend the belt. I've had two vests, and now jump a belt, because the weight is much more comfortable hanging on my hips than on my shoulders/neck. A belt also gives you the option of wearing it outside of your jump suit, which would let you release it fairly easily in the event of a water landing. It was pretty noticeable when I went from a vest to the lower center-of-gravity of a belt, but I adjusted within a few jumps.

I wouldn't worry about increasing the loading by 0.06 (assuming that your wear 10 pounds of weight and are jumping a 170 sq. ft. canopy), if you are pretty comfortable with the canopy loading already.

Gary

tinfoil  (A 10316)

Sep 14, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #6 of 35 (3472 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

I'll give my $0.02, I've been looking at weights.

Weight vest are the most common form to carry weight. Puts the weight up higher on the body, something a lot of women seem to like. Usually worn underneath the jumpsuit, can be uncomfortable on the shoulders. But since its under the jumpsuit, you can't take it off with your harness on.

Weight belts, kinda new. Puts the weight in your arch, helps to drag down your hips. I've only ever seen it worn over a rig, lets you ditch if you needed to. But since its outside the jumpsuit there might be some concerns about what the wind could do, or of someone grabs onto it (Has anyone ever seen a PFF instructor with a weight belt?). Little more comfortable.

What else can you do? Get a beer gut! Jump with floaty people, or work on your arch.

You will be increasing you WL, so be ready to come in a little faster. I was scared about using 10lb of weight, but my landing didn't seem different.
Hope that helps

nicknitro71  (D 26704)

Sep 15, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #7 of 35 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Few months back I was looking at weights too. I ended up buying a 20 Lb. SCUBA diving vest. It's made of sturdy neoprane and it has five pockets and much cheeper than the ones made just for skydiving. You can go as low as 4 Lb. to as much as 30 Lb. I got it mainly for increasing my WL. I calculated that 20 Lb. gives me exactly the same WL as going one size down. I use it during RW too given my skinny ass.

andy2

Sep 15, 2003, 7:29 AM
Post #8 of 35 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Expect to pay US$75 - $125ish for either a belt or vest with 6-10 pounds in it.

only a moron would pay 100 dollars for a few pounds of lead shot wrapped in codura with a buckle. You don't have to be a rigger to sew, ya know Tongue

kallend  (D 23151)

Sep 15, 2003, 9:06 AM
Post #9 of 35 (3403 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am in the market for a weight vest of some sort. I understand there are a few different types. I'm not really sure what to get or even where I can get them. Appreciate any information. Thanks Angelic

Go to your local K-Mart or Wal-Mart or Target store and buy a couple of sets of ankle weights (Reebok makes a suitable set, and there are other brands too). They have different weights available depending on how much weight you need.

Then sew them together to make a belt. Add an extra strap for security.

Total cost around $25, looks just like the $100 ones, complete with zippered pockets for the weights.

Sep 15, 2003, 9:23 AM
Post #10 of 35 (3395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy2] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
only a moron would pay 100 dollars for a few pounds of lead shot wrapped in codura with a buckle
Yeah. Only a moron would support the industry that supports their sport. </dripping sarcasm>

Good thing most jumpers don't have your attitude.

kallend  (D 23151)

Sep 15, 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #11 of 35 (3387 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
only a moron would pay 100 dollars for a few pounds of lead shot wrapped in codura with a buckle
Yeah. Only a moron would support the industry that supports their sport. </dripping sarcasm>

Good thing most jumpers don't have your attitude.

Are you suggesting that I am damaging the skydiving industry by making my own weight belt from Reebok ankle weights for $25, and telling others how to do it? That it is somehow my duty to pay through the nose instead for a belt made by a skydiver?

Sep 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #12 of 35 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Are you suggesting that I am damaging the skydiving industry by making my own weight belt from Reebok ankle weights for $25, and telling others how to do it?
Although it may have come off that way, no, that's not what I'm suggesting. What I was trying to say (and I didn't do a very good job of it and this probably wasn't the thread to say it in) is that it's my opinion that buying skydiving related items from skydivers is preferable to buying skydiving related items from non-skydivers. The person I was replying to has posted repeatedly about how he prefers to buy things he'll be using for skydiving at non-skydiving related stores so he can save some money. Personally, I think doing that goes against the whole "skydiving is a big family" thing that folks like to crow about. Don't support skydiving equipment stores and manufacturers and eventually the wide selection of items and companies out there will dwindle away... If you think prices are too high for gear items now, imagine what they'd be if there were fewer gear stores and fewer manufacturers (i.e. less competition for the skydiver's dollars).

Wanna make your own weight belt, jumpsuit, altimeter, helmet, main canopy? Go for it, you won't be hurting my income or the industry in general at all. See, most jumpers don't have the skills needed to make that kind of stuff or would rather spend a bit more for something that is already made than put the time and effort into making it themselves. Those who do make their own skydiving related items often end up selling what they make to others... isn't that how many of today's manufacturers got started?

Hazarrd

Sep 15, 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #13 of 35 (3379 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

Go to your local K-Mart or Wal-Mart or Target store and buy a couple of sets of ankle weights (Reebok makes a suitable set, and there are other brands too). They have different weights available depending on how much weight you need.

Then sew them together to make a belt. Add an extra strap for security.

Total cost around $25, looks just like the $100 ones, complete with zippered pockets for the weights.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to try and do what you posted.

Hazarrd

Sep 15, 2003, 11:48 AM
Post #14 of 35 (3375 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
See, most jumpers don't have the skills needed to make that kind of stuff or would rather spend a bit more for something that is already made than put the time and effort into making it themselves. Those who do make their own skydiving related items often end up selling what they make to others... isn't that how many of today's manufacturers got started?

I don't think thats the case at all! I am a college student and am pretty much broke. I'll take the extra 20 minutes to make a weight belt if its possible. I'm not a sewer but I am sure I can figure it out.

AggieDave  (D License)

Sep 15, 2003, 11:52 AM
Post #15 of 35 (3373 views)
Shortcut

The economics of skydiving is larger then just the skydiving industry.

Imagine if nobody was buying weight belts/vest from the skydiving industry. What would happen? Well several things could happen. Would weight belts/vests no longer be made? No, there is a need there, so the supply won't go away. Would the price of weight belts/vests go down? Possibly, or maybe not.

Lets suppose for a moment that the price of weight belts went down $20. Would that actually hurt the skydiving industry? Note really, more then likely that jumper would take that $20 and buy something else skydiving related or go use it to buy a lift ticket. Lets say the jumper spent it on a lift ticket. The DZ gets another $20, yeah $20 isn't much, but it adds up across the board. Thus a DZ might end up buying a new tandem rig or some new student rigs or student jumpsuits. Or they use the money to advertise and more people start jumping, thus more gear is sold. All in all the industry as a whole would benifit.

Basically, I'm not trying to say that prices are inflated in the skydiving industry, I know that generally profit margins are pretty low; however, inflated prices would do nothing but hurt the industry.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 15, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #16 of 35 (3334 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Quote:

only a moron would pay 100 dollars for a few pounds of lead shot wrapped in codura with a buckle. You don't have to be a rigger to sew, ya know Tongue
You may not have to be a rigger to sew, but are you sure you can design one with the right materals and configuration. It would be a hell of a mess if it came off or came apart in freefall. Do you know the difference between Type III and Type IV?

Hazarrd

Sep 15, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #17 of 35 (3333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Quote:

You may not have to be a rigger to sew, but are you sure you can design one with the right materals and configuration. It would be a hell of a mess if it came off or came apart in freefall. Do you know the difference between Type III and Type IV?

Hmmmmmm? Crazy

skycat  (D 25740)

Sep 16, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #18 of 35 (3327 views)
Shortcut

I wasn't going to post to this but making weight belts is a pain in the ass, which is why the price is high. Everyone wants custom this and custom that and extra this or that. That is why Derek charged $75 for a weight belt (lead included), which is also why he refuses to make them anymore. It takes hours to make one and if something has to be changed due to something odd the customer wants, it could include days for re-designs. Just not worth the return on the investment.

The reason you can get those ankle weights so cheap is that they are mass produced by machines or by people in 3rd world countries.

btw....I had a weight vest and after getting my belt I'd never go back to a vest.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 16, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #19 of 35 (3315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skycat] Purchasing Weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I wasn't going to post to this but making weight belts is a pain in the ass, which is why the price is high. Everyone wants custom this and custom that and extra this or that. That is why Derek charged $75 for a weight belt (lead included), which is also why he refuses to make them anymore. It takes hours to make one and if something has to be changed due to something odd the customer wants, it could include days for re-designs. Just not worth the return on the investment.

The reason you can get those ankle weights so cheap is that they are mass produced by machines or by people in 3rd world countries.

btw....I had a weight vest and after getting my belt I'd never go back to a vest.
I had a feelilng that Derek was smater then he let on. lolSly
Sparky

kallend  (D 23151)

Sep 16, 2003, 8:24 AM
Post #20 of 35 (3304 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Quote:

You don't have to be a rigger to make and sell weight vests and belts that cost $100 either (unless the FAA has secretly changed FAR Part 105). I fail to see your point.

andy2

Sep 16, 2003, 8:41 AM
Post #21 of 35 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
"skydiving is a big family"

A family that charges quadruple what the cost of an item is? Sounds pretty fishy to me. Tongue

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 16, 2003, 9:19 AM
Post #22 of 35 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Rigging is covered under Part 65. My point is that if they are not made right they can be one hell of a hazard in the air. If you don't have access to the right machines and use the right thread they will come apart under the stress of freefall.

(This post was edited by mjosparky on Sep 16, 2003, 9:46 AM)

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 16, 2003, 9:41 AM
Post #23 of 35 (3290 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
See, most jumpers don't have the skills needed to make that kind of stuff or would rather spend a bit more for something that is already made than put the time and effort into making it themselves. Those who do make their own skydiving related items often end up selling what they make to others... isn't that how many of today's manufacturers got started?

I don't think thats the case at all! I am a college student and am pretty much broke. I'll take the extra 20 minutes to make a weight belt if its possible. I'm not a sewer but I am sure I can figure it out.
Having made several weight belts, you can be sure it is going to take you much longer than 20 minutes.

Sep 16, 2003, 10:15 AM
Post #24 of 35 (3278 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
A family that charges quadruple what the cost of an item is? Sounds pretty fishy to me.
Material cost is only part of the cost of an item. There's also labor cost and shipping cost (know how much it costs to ship 10 pounds of lead?) - unless of course you expect those who are making them to not make anything for their time.

Oh wait, this is a big skydiving family, of course they don't want to make any money off their hard work.

But I'm sure you've been in manufacturing and retail long enough to know far more than I do about it.

andy2

Sep 16, 2003, 10:57 AM
Post #25 of 35 (3274 views)
Shortcut

No, my intent was not to get into an argument over whether or not skydivers are a "big family", or any finer points of shipping lead. I just wanted to point out the fact that if you need something you do not have to run to the comp and buy it off the first dealer you come across. That would be silly. It appears you're reading too much into what I write, skybytch.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)