Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring???

WrongWay  (D 27371)

Sep 9, 2003, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 13 (980 views)
Shortcut
Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? Can't Post

I've heard from a few people that becoming a pro skydiver, especially a tandem master, makes it get old really fast, and takes away from the yearning of jumping. Is this true? I'd like to know it from a pro's point of view. Thanks!!

Rdutch  (D 24618)

Sep 9, 2003, 7:31 AM
Post #2 of 13 (963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've heard from a few people that becoming a pro skydiver, especially a tandem master, makes it get old really fast, and takes away from the yearning of jumping. Is this true? I'd like to know it from a pro's point of view. Thanks!!

Its a fun job, but its still a job.

nightjumps  (D 23385)

Sep 9, 2003, 8:00 AM
Post #3 of 13 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

To a certain extent that is true. I used to work EVERY weekend, but eventually learned that if your job is also your fun, you have to make specific dividing lines of time and environment. I spend about two weekends a month teaching, the other two are mine to go somewhere else to have my fun.

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Sep 9, 2003, 9:12 AM
Post #4 of 13 (891 views)
Shortcut

Like anything you get out of it what you put into it.
What once was a hobby for me is now a full-time proposition. My take is...that if it isn't fun it isn't worth doing.
I have had several careers in my time. I learn what I can and if it becomes mundane, I move on, learn something new and grow from the experiences.
Life is too short to be stuck in a job that you don't like and don't feel rewarded by.

lazerq3  (C -34113)

Sep 9, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #5 of 13 (791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbarnhouse] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've seen a couple of video jumpers and TM's that wont fun jump anymore because unless there getting paid to jump its not worth it!!Crazy

jason

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Sep 9, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 13 (790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lazerq3] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
TM's that wont fun jump anymore because unless there getting paid to jump its not worth it!!

What isn't it worth it? Most often as a staff member their slot is covered for fun jumping.

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Sep 9, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbarnhouse] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is absolutely not the case most places. Unless I am organizing, I am paying for my fun jumps. Granted, it's at a discounted rate, but I pay nonetheless. That said, I am a full-time school manager/chief instructor/meat hauler. It is not a glamorous life, but I don't mind it. I do not let my less-than-perfect work dives get me down and I keep my interest in the sport piqued by staying on the cutting edge of new disciplines.

Chuck

mfrese  (D 20145)

Sep 9, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #8 of 13 (768 views)
Shortcut

Gotta go with Chuck here, most of us get discounted rates on tickets, but we're still paying for fun jumps.
As for the boring part, when you've just finished wrestling some hungover 200 lb frat boy out the door, managed to correct his lousy body position in freefall so you're not spinning, managed to point out the video flyer to him so he at least shows his face in his video, shifted him around in the harness after opening to keep him from passing out or puking on you, executed the perfect flare to stand him up in no wind only to have him fall on you anyway and almost break your leg...does that sound boring to you? Wink

Iceman

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Sep 9, 2003, 3:54 PM
Post #9 of 13 (757 views)
Shortcut

I would absolutly love it if the DZ picked up my slots. I sure would be making a lot more jumps then I am now Sly It works out that at the end of the day 5 work jumps pays for 5 fun jumps with a packer. If I break even its a good day, I like to fly my wingsuit much more then I like spinning in place with a Whuffo in my good air for video. Tongue

Some DZ's give breaks for the full time staff thats out there 24/7/365, but I've never heard of a DZ just offering free jumps to staff when ever they want to jump.

I've seen more then one die hard fun jumper get their ratings then procede to never fun jump again since it actually costs them money at that point to do something that they can do for free as long as they wait for a student to show up.

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Sep 9, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #10 of 13 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Some DZ's give breaks for the full time staff thats out there 24/7/365, but I've never heard of a DZ just offering free jumps to staff when ever they want to jump.
Well guess you have now. Course with the hectic schedules these guys keep, there isnt much time for it. I will say tho in the summer when it is quieter, it isnt uncommon.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Sep 9, 2003, 4:18 PM
Post #11 of 13 (734 views)
Shortcut

Do they get to fun jump every day of the week or just their days off?

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Sep 9, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 13 (725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Does becoming a professional jumper make it boring??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Do they get to fun jump every day of the week or just their days off?

If there are slots available they are welcome to jump. These jumps generally occur first thing in the morning or after they have finished with their work day. However, once manifested should a customer wish to manifest, they are bumped from the load.
For clarification, this applies to our full-time/year around staff members.

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)
Sep 10, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #13 of 13 (655 views)
Shortcut

I just really dig teaching, especially tandem students. The way I look at it is that people place me in a position of honor by trusting me first with their lives, and second as a safe space for them to conquer their fears and step way outside their comfort zone. I make an effort to make the experience as incredible and rewarding for them as possible, personalizing it when I can.

When I get a little tired of it, feeling like I need a change, I bust out for a fun jump or two. In April we had some dotcommers here at Raeford and I did mostly fun jumps that weekend with them.

My current love as a change of pace is tracking dives. I did three of them in January and fell in love.

So, when whatever one is doing in skydiving starts to get boring, there are plenty of other disciplines out there to try and gain a fresh perspective on the sport.

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)