Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Airtec Cypres - Warning to Low pullers

3fLiEr

Dec 18, 2001, 1:16 AM
Post #1 of 16 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Airtec Cypres - Warning to Low pullers Can't Post

After my friend was speaking with Airtec about when I can expect to recieve my Cypres back with its new cutter - they informed her of the following:-

Due to the body position on dumping and line strectch the change in air pressure around you can fool the cypres slightly causing it to fire 1 or 2 hundred feet higher than the stated 750ft......... thus if you low pullers are dumping at 1000ft it is possible that as you snivel through sub-1000 your cypres can fire............. so if your thinking that as long you are under canopy by 750 you will be OK......... think again.........

So basically - dont pull low with an AAD............ its dangerous..........

Have fun people.......

bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

SkydiveMonkey  (B 102345)

Dec 18, 2001, 1:20 AM
Post #2 of 16 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Re: Airtec Cypres - Warning to Low pullers [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're that low you probably should be going for the reserve anyway.

I like my women like I like my coffee - hot and with a spoon in Smile

3fLiEr

Dec 18, 2001, 1:29 AM
Post #3 of 16 (1414 views)
Shortcut

"If you're that low you probably should be going for the reserve anyway"

Yeah easier said than done - check out the muscle memory post - when you are that low - you just dump out - its automatic - easy to say on the ground go for reserve - you wait to you see that groundrush at 800ft......... you just dump.......... no thought about it......... you gotta be very switched on to go for your reserve in that situation - unless you make the plan to go for your reserve before hand .......... but thats just crazzzzzzzzzy........... ;op

bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

(This post was edited by 3fLiEr on Dec 18, 2001, 1:40 AM)

weid14  (D 20292)

Dec 18, 2001, 4:03 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1399 views)
Shortcut

yeah, saw a video the other day of a guy who filmed a deployment flipped on his belly, looked at his alti (way, way in the red) and dumped his main, as soon as the main started to inflate there's a nice reserve behind it. He was low enough you could clearly read the sign on the building below him... he landed in that parking lot. Of course then there's Frankie from the Ranch....

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

Dec 18, 2001, 9:29 AM
Post #5 of 16 (1331 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Due to the body position on dumping and line strectch the change in air pressure around you can fool the cypres slightly causing it to fire 1 or 2 hundred feet higher than the stated 750ft......... thus if you low pullers are dumping at 1000ft it is possible that as you snivel through sub-1000 your cypres can fire............. so if your thinking that as long you are under canopy by 750 you will be OK......... think again.........
As far as I can recall, the CYPRES manual actually says that it can fire up to 300ft higher than 750.. If you're using a piece of equipment, RTFM first..

Mike

johnny1488  (D 25453)

Dec 18, 2001, 3:23 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1279 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Of course then there's Frankie from the Ranch....
WOW that was one of the nastiest landings I've ever seen. Slider all the way up when you hit the state troopers front lawn. One lucky jumper.

Johnny

Brokeneagle  (D 27414)

Dec 19, 2001, 3:18 AM
Post #7 of 16 (1217 views)
Shortcut

"if you're that low you probably should be going for the reserve anyway"

Nothing in life is foolproof- even a Cypres...I agree muscle memory is ingrained in training, but if you're flying a canopy type that consistantly takes 1000 or so ft to open (like a Spectre), and you notice you're at or below 1000 ft, I would think you would get that reserve out without even considering your main; on any type of low-pull situation, for a snivel-prone/slow opening main, reserve is the only option, unless you want to end up in the hospital or obituaries. Just my .02...
Brokeneagle.
Brokeneagle.

<shrug, grin, innocent look> I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

geoff

Dec 19, 2001, 3:37 AM
Post #8 of 16 (1215 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I would think you would get that reserve out without even considering your main
'should' - definitely.....'would' .... I dunno....

In the 'muscle memory' thread I started under safety and training, nobody could cite even a single example of someone using their reserve when suddenly realising they were low.

Do you know an example of that ever actually happening?

Geoff

3fLiEr

Dec 19, 2001, 3:59 AM
Post #9 of 16 (1209 views)
Shortcut

"but if you're flying a canopy type that consistantly takes 1000 or so ft to open (like a Spectre), and you notice you're at or below 1000 ft, I would think you would get that reserve out without even considering your main"

I normally pack my canopy to snivel and open in around 600ft.... I dumped my main out at around 750 - 700ft........ I did not for one second think about how I had packed it and whether i would get a snivel ............. you just dont......... luckily that day it opened quite quickly.......... Nice!

bsbd

Brokeneagle  (D 27414)

Dec 19, 2001, 6:17 AM
Post #10 of 16 (1185 views)
Shortcut

"Do you know of an example of that actually happening?"

No Geoff, I do not- I can only hope that the logic/knowlege that my slow-opening canopy is useless in low situations would move my hands to the silver if I was caught low... Smile didn't mean to stray from the thread, skyhawk Laugh
Brokeneagle.

<shrug, grin, innocent look> I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

in2falling  (C License)

Dec 24, 2001, 6:58 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1060 views)
Shortcut

What the hell where you doing dumping that low?

skyhawk

Dec 25, 2001, 5:59 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1046 views)
Shortcut

didn't mean to stray from the thread, skyhawk

ill forgive you this time :-)

1 i dont think you should be at that height except in an emergancy 2. while i know to pull the reserve if im at 1000 ft sadly i prob wont be thinking ill just be trying to get somthing in the air and my first thought will be my main same thing if a dog jumps in front of u driving you know you are just ment to hit it and hope 4 the best but most people will still lock up there brakes and swerve comparing the 2 i think that it is not muscle memory instead it is instinct your body doesnt have time to think it finds the simplist way of self/other ppl (dog) preservation and does it

Click Me

rgoper  (C 32349)

Dec 25, 2001, 10:15 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1025 views)
Shortcut

"Yeah easier said than done - check out the muscle memory post - when you are that low - you just dump out - its automatic - easy to say on the ground go for reserve - you wait to you see that "GROUNDRUSH" at 800ft......... you just dump.......... no thought about it......... you gotta be very switched on to go for your reserve in that situation - unless you make the plan to go for your reserve before hand .......... but thats just crazzzzzzzzzy........... ;op"

it troubles me that you utilize the word "groundrush" in your posts. be careful, it can mean various things to young individuals in our sport. low pulling is dangerous, that's a proven fact, there's really no excuse for it. you can "justify" it all you want, but you can't say, and be truthful with yourself that it's safe.

Merry Christmas:

Richard

"Gravity Is My Friend"

dkearns  (B 1110874)

Dec 25, 2001, 11:17 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

And every boby knows that 3flier has a low pull death wish even if he thinks he does'nt. And 3spatter don't argue cause you know you do or you wouldn't have been grounded a thousand times this year.
Geers.

mikefarmer  (D 19948)

Dec 26, 2001, 2:17 PM
Post #15 of 16 (966 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
low pulling is dangerous, that's a proven fact, there's really no excuse for it.
I'm no low pull artist, contrary to my cute little quote below; but I do believe that the above statement could be made about skydiving in general. Jumping serves most of us no transportational purpose, it only exists for the "thrill" or "rush." It is also an individual sport, and while I would do nothing to wreck the sport for my fellow jumpers by acting in a silly manner, everyone makes his/her own decision about how safe they want to play it. I personally like to freefly (eek-the reserve might blow), shoot video (we have all heard deadly accounts of snags), and occasionally swoop my little canopy. Point being, before the "Mainstreaming" of skydiving, we were "Daredevils" who jumped for the thrill of the fear. Again DON'T BE STUPID and hurt yourself, but be careful about telling other jumpers what's best for them. I am not advocating pulling low, swooping, or anything except personal freedom!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

"It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool."-Marlboro Man

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Dec 26, 2001, 2:39 PM
Post #16 of 16 (965 views)
Shortcut

"groundrush"

In truth it's not necessarily a bad thing. I have noticed a bit of "ground rush" at relatively high altitudes. I even noticed a little bit of it last weekend while Head down and passing through 5,000 ft. I hadn't looked at my alti yet....noticed my jump partner looking at his and noticed the gound coming up. I knew it was about time to leave and before I could even look my Time out went off at 4500. My normal break off alti. I also ended up pulling a little high one day. For some reason I didn't trust my alti and got Ground rush at like 3500 ft. I would have sworn I was lower than that but it sure looked high once I was open. My alti said 2900. I'm normally riding in the saddle at around 2500. I have no idea what made me get the rush on that jump. Maybe it was seeing an airplane below and to the right. I probably would have missed it but I decided to be safe and track. Smile

"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)