Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
The USPA and BSR inforcements

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 31, 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #1 of 11 (871 views)
Shortcut
The USPA and BSR inforcements Can't Post

After some discussion in a different thread, I was wondering how exactly the USPA does inforce their BSRs.

From what I gather, they basically don't/can't/won't, but then at that point what is the reasoning for having the DZ program and the BSRs in the first place?

Also, if they do/could actively enforce the BSRs, what about situations where DZs are pushing the envolope for the betterment of the sport. Sort of like when Roger Nelson was using BOCs for AFF before they were "approved." He went to the USPA after having done it for a while, with a stack of videos that proved it worked and worked well, so it was approved for student use. At the time, from my understanding, that was violating the BSRs, but it was in a "good" way that helped advance our sport.

Thoughts, comments?

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jul 31, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 11 (861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] The USPA and BSR inforcements [In reply to] Can't Post

>From what I gather, they basically don't/can't/won't, but then at that
>point what is the reasoning for having the DZ program and the BSRs
> in the first place?

Because many people do follow them and they save lives. Even voluntary 'rules' are useful; many DZO's voluntarily enforce them (i.e. if you keep pulling at 500 feet you get kicked off the DZ, even if there's no USPA cop there to write you a ticket.) I think that's a good thing; we do need a framework of recommendations so newer jumpers have some very basic safety rules, but at the same time I don't think we need USPA 'police.' It's always the 5% of DZ's who are assholes about the BSR's and the other 5% who neglect them completely that get all the attention, but they do a lot of good to that other 90% I think.

SkydiverRick  (D 13360)

Jul 31, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 11 (848 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Sort of like when Roger Nelson was using BOCs for AFF before they were "approved." He went to the USPA after having done it for a while, with a stack of videos that proved it worked and worked well, so it was approved for student use. At the time, from my understanding, that was violating the BSRs, but it was in a "good" way that helped advance our sport.

Thoughts, comments?
I was under the impression that Roger had a waiver for this.

Samurai136  (D 26609)

Aug 1, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #4 of 11 (818 views)
Shortcut

Read the front page of the SIM

Legally, non-compliance w/ BSR's is not negligence, according to the USPA.

Living in the midwest I have witnessed a few AFF instructors give their students canopy advice that freaked us out on the ground. Their response, "I learned that from Roger, back in the day, over at Sandwich."

In my opinion it goes both ways; non-conventional thinking breaks new ground. (no pun)Wink But there must be some self enforced adherence to the norm to deviate from it.

Ken

D22369  (D 22369)

Aug 1, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #5 of 11 (806 views)
Shortcut

There isnt anything USPA can do to a non uspa dz if they are not complient.......
I dont know how many non-USPA drop zones everyone has been to, but I have been to quite a few.........with the exception of one, they all follow the BSR's quite closely and run clean operations

::: the above is only what I have seen, I havent been to all the non uspa dz's in the country .....YET!!!

Roy

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Aug 1, 2003, 5:20 AM
Post #6 of 11 (785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D22369] The USPA and BSR inforcements [In reply to] Can't Post

If a DZ only follows the BSR's because it's scared of enforcement, then it's not a place to go to. Just like a driver who only drives the speed limit because they're scared of a ticket -- they're always looking for the opportunity to do what they "really" want to do.

If people follow the rules voluntarily, then the rules can be general guidelines, and have some room for interpretation. If the rules have to be enforced often, they they have to be more and more specific, and the cost of administering them goes up.

Folks, quit looking for loopholes. Change the rules you don't like, so they can continue to be guidelines to good behavior.

Wendy W.

AggieDave  (D License)

Aug 1, 2003, 5:23 AM
Post #7 of 11 (780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] The USPA and BSR inforcements [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Folks, quit looking for loopholes

That isn't the point I started this thread, though.

This thread was started due to curiosity that was peaked in a different thread AND due to my not really seeing anything that the USPA is truely doing for me. Besides my monthly magazine...Crazy

Ron

Aug 1, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #8 of 11 (758 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
This thread was started due to curiosity that was peaked in a different thread AND due to my not really
seeing anything that the USPA is truely doing for me. Besides my monthly magazine..

They do lobby for our rights to airspace.

But if it were not for that, and the fact that there are a bunch of places that I could not jump WO the USPA card..I'd tell them to shove off.

The USPA is mostly worthless...And they continue to show that they are worthless time after time.

So I am a member just becuase they make me...Without that stupid little card I can't jump at a lot of cool DZ's.

Scrumpot  (D License)

Aug 1, 2003, 7:44 AM
Post #9 of 11 (724 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
This thread was started due to curiosity that was peaked in a different thread AND due to my not really seeing anything that the USPA is truely doing for me. Besides my monthly magazine... Crazy

Hmmm.... Is Aggie Dave "coming of age"? Tongue

I'm thinking now of starting a thread: Aggie Dave Matures! ...Read all about it! Wink

Saliency in all of us from time to time it seems, rears it's ugly head! ---Keep on thinkin' & keep that mind a workin' bro. Let me know when you see yourself approaching any conclusions from all this.

BS,
-Grant

robskydiv  (D 26660)

Aug 1, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #10 of 11 (662 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dave. To answer your question, it seems to me that USPA doesn't enforce it's BSR's. Having said that, I think that the BSR's and the SIM's do us all a favor by establishing training procedures and recommendations. These procedures may be helpful to someone who is in a court of law being sued for neglience. Conversely, it may be used to prove negligence if this is the case.

crutch  (D 10182)

Aug 2, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #11 of 11 (616 views)
Shortcut

Dave, being the S&TA here, I will tell you what I have been lead to believe. There are BSR's that are guidelines that should be followed. These were developed over the years by our elected officers (that piece of paper you are suppose to fillout and send in every couple years, it is on the back of your Parachutist). If the guidelines aren't followed, I (representing the USPA) should inform the jumper and advise him/her on the proper procedures. As far as instructors go, not following the BSRs should result in myself filing some paperwork with the USPA and effectively removing their ratings and/or license. This includes having a student jumping gear that does not meet the BSRs (a drop zone reponsibilty maybe, but the instructor needs be aware of it). Over the years I have seen the USPA pull ratings and licenses, even a couple incidents of pulling membership. This prevents the person from being insured through the membership and effectly grounded from USPA member drop zones. I hope this answers your question. Oh yeah, just a note, my ratings have been threaten on numerous occasions.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)