Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Bridle Attachment Point

3fLiEr

Nov 20, 2001, 8:49 PM
Post #1 of 4 (999 views)
Shortcut
Bridle Attachment Point Can't Post

There maybe a very obvious answer to this question but I am just curious at the reasons this maybe is not so on a BASE canopy you can have something called a multi this is a multiple point attachment of the bridle to the canopy it is designed to stop centre cell stripping due to the forces exerted onto a single attachment point. I realise that the forces on the single point attachment to a skydive canopy are less due to slower deployment speeds but would not a multi perhaps reduce the wear and tear on a canopy and perhaps prolong its life?
I do not know of any problems that people have with their skydive canopies and single attachment points thus I can not see a problem with the single point.

I am just curious if these have been used at any point on skydive canopies (not CReW) and what the findings were.

Just me being curious trying to build up knowledge in an anoraky way!!

Thanks for all views

BSBD

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Nov 21, 2001, 7:04 AM
Post #2 of 4 (957 views)
Shortcut
Re: Bridle Attachment Point [In reply to] Can't Post

Multiple bridle attachment points are only relevant when you pack without a d-bag.
On regular skydiving gear, the D-bag lifts the entire canopy at the same time, so it hits the air evenly.

Back in the late 1970s, a few skydiving canopies were built with two bridle attachment points. This was supposed to lift the canopy more evenly. Dual bridle attachments lasted as long as free-stowing. Free-stowing eliminated d-bags and rubber bands by loosely coiling lines in the main pack tray, then muscling the flaps closed over the loose canopy. Free-stowing was quick, but unreliable at terminal velocity. After a couple of guys died from suspension line/side flap entanglements, free-stowing fell out of fashion. Para-Flite was so serious about banning free-stowing that they provided free main d-bags!

3fLiEr

Nov 21, 2001, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 4 (907 views)
Shortcut

cheers dude

BSBD

rmsmith

Nov 22, 2001, 1:06 AM
Post #4 of 4 (894 views)
Shortcut

>I am just curious if these have been used at any
>point on skydive canopies (not CReW) and what
>the findings were.

I still have an old GQ Security canopy from the late 70's that's in pretty good shape stored away in the garage. It has a dual bridle attachment that is roughly 6-ft between the points of connection. I used it with a deployment bag, and there was a small steel ring at the top of the bridle to prevent it from being pulled through grommet at the top of the deployment bag. Once the canopy was open, the deployment bag would slide down and cover the pilot chute collapsing it. The kevlar suspension lines were stowed on the bottom of the deployment bag in a pocket that closed with velcro along one edge. Overall, it was a successful design albeit too bulky by today's standard.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)