Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
Hi!

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #1 of 23 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Hi! Can't Post

I just skydived (skydove?) for the first time on Monday (Memorial Day). I was very scared on the way up, but it was such an awesome experience, I will definitely do it again.

My friends and I jumped at Skydive Oregon. Everyone there is great, really nice and supportive. Props to Ryan and JJ (my tandem instructor and cameraflyer) for an awesome jump and pictures (I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm sure that is spectacular as well).

I hope to jump again soon, and maybe even make it a hobby (if my inner ear doesn't make trouble for me).

CanuckInUSA  (D 26396)

May 29, 2003, 12:08 PM
Post #2 of 23 (995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annieoakley] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to DZ.COM and the wonderful sport of skydiving. We're glad to hear that you had a good time and one of the most dangerous aspects of this sport is that you'll enjoy it and want to do it again and again and again, etc, etc, etc. Heck look at me, 10 1/2 months ago I was a whuffo. Angelic

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 12:16 PM
Post #3 of 23 (990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CanuckInUSA] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, can I ask a seriously newbie question? What's a whuffo? (Don't laugh!!)

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
May 29, 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #4 of 23 (985 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile I'm glad you enjoyed your first tandem. I always thought I would only try 1 tandem, and now 270 jumps later, I'm obsessed.

A whuffo is someone who has never gone skydiving who would say, "whuffo you jump outta an airplane for"? Sly

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #5 of 23 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, so half my co-workers...Tongue

The best was my big, sporty, super-lawyer boss saying, "Jeez....I don't think I could ever do that. Weren't you scared?"

Nah, not me. Wink

txblondie

May 29, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #6 of 23 (973 views)
Shortcut

Welcome! I just did my first two AFF's on Monday, too! Glad you enjoyed it; it's probably the most fun I've ever had. Hope you keep it up!Smile

txblondie

May 29, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #7 of 23 (968 views)
Shortcut

A "whuffo" is simply a non-skydiver. Trust me, it's not a stupid question, I only know because I've heard the reference about 500 times in the last month, since I made my first tandem!Tongue

CanuckInUSA  (D 26396)

May 29, 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #8 of 23 (962 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
What's a whuffo? (Don't laugh!!)

A Whuffo is what skydivers call non-skydivers and it stands for "What for you jump out of them airplanes". Wink

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #9 of 23 (960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [txblondie] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh heh, thanks!

I'd love to get certified and make it a hobby, but I don't know where the $$ is going to come from. Smile

It was seriously the coolest thing I have ever done, and I loved it.

txblondie

May 29, 2003, 1:46 PM
Post #10 of 23 (945 views)
Shortcut

Yes, unfortunately, money is an issue. However, when you think about it...I used to go to the movies 2 or 3 times a week, and out to dinner 2 or 3 times a week, and at work, I would go out for lunch every day. When you add that up, along with shopping sprees and other nonsense, then you can probably come up with enough money to jump at least every couple of weeks, until you get an A license and don't have to spend a FORTUNE on every jump! Trust me, I've been totally broke since I started, but the faster you pay for it, the faster the money starts to show back up in your bank account, and I think it's worth it! Smile

Casie  (B 25656)

May 29, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #11 of 23 (935 views)
Shortcut

Welcome! I also have problems with my ears. Now, don't laughTongue...but I was born with a small hole in my ears....I've had extensive surgery when I was a baby & still have problems with the wind, etc. For the most part...I got allergies living here in Austin & take Allegra to cure my congestion which seems to help my ears quite a bit. For some reason though it can take quite a few days for my ears to pop...so hang in there!Cool

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 3:00 PM
Post #12 of 23 (932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Casie] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I have a friend who also has similar issues with her ears (tiny hole in one), and I wouldn't laugh anyway. Smile My ear thing is slightly different. I have a thing called Meniere's syndrome which is when your inner ear fills with fluid, which causes mild to severe vertigo. Mine has been fairly dormant of late, with no attacks in about 6 months. I jumped on Monday, got a serious dizzy spell on Wednesday and have been mildly dizzy since. Mad I've emailed my doctor to see if skydiving caused it (in which case I'll be pissed) or if I was just due.

Probably more than you wanted to know....

Raefordite  (D 17243)

May 29, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #13 of 23 (926 views)
Shortcut

Hi back to you annieoakley! Ok, what is the story behind your name?

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #14 of 23 (924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raefordite] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm into shooting sports (paper and reactive targets) and I apparently have a natural ability to hit what I aim at. Smile My friends sometimes call me Annie Oakley as a joke. Wink

rhino  (D 22500)

May 29, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #15 of 23 (921 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile Welcome!

flygirl60  (Student)

May 29, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #16 of 23 (920 views)
Shortcut

Hi glad to hear you had such a great time...it's awesome isn't it. ShockedCool

robskydiv  (D 26660)

May 29, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #17 of 23 (916 views)
Shortcut

Way to go Annie! Your'e going to jump again right?

SkyOCiel  (C License)

May 29, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #18 of 23 (902 views)
Shortcut

Hi Annie,
i just started like you 2 months ago with a tandem and now i just got off student status and i'm loving every bit of it!!!!
by the way i did my tandem in Hollister, and JJ was my tandem Master, if it's the same guy say hello for me tell him "I got Hooked, it's all you fault!!!!!"

live the sky

S-

annieoakley

May 29, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #19 of 23 (893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robskydiv] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hell yes I'm gonna jump again.....

I had myself so psyched out that I was terrified until actually out of the plane....I have to go again, so I can enjoy the full experience!

divingduck

May 29, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #20 of 23 (883 views)
Shortcut

yay! welcome! I just got into it, and I jump @ Eugene Skydivers. Where are you from?

annieoakley

May 30, 2003, 10:46 AM
Post #21 of 23 (851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [divingduck] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were at Skydive Oregon in Molalla. Smile

b1jercat  (B 26608)

May 30, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #22 of 23 (832 views)
Shortcut

HI, I just got my A licend at SDO, they will treat you right and train you well. After the first few jumps it does get cheaper money wise. hang in there!
blue skies

annieoakley

May 30, 2003, 4:02 PM
Post #23 of 23 (829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b1jercat] Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are really great there.

Maybe we'll see you there this summer! Smile

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)