Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Chin mount alternatives to Grellfab for G3 and KISS

sundevil777  (D License)

Jul 23, 2018, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (833 views)
Shortcut
Chin mount alternatives to Grellfab for G3 and KISS Can't Post

These seem to be a well executed design, what do you think?

https://chinmount.com/

markharju  (D 23828)

Jul 24, 2018, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 4 (735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] Chin mount alternatives to Grellfab for G3 and KISS [In reply to] Can't Post

sundevil777 wrote:

I like it. I just bought a Cookie G3 and am keen to mount my GoPro on the chin. Cool

mh

sundevil777  (D License)

Jul 24, 2018, 4:48 AM
Post #3 of 4 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markharju] Chin mount alternatives to Grellfab for G3 and KISS [In reply to] Can't Post

markharju wrote:
sundevil777 wrote:

I like it. I just bought a Cookie G3 and am keen to mount my GoPro on the chin. Cool

mh

I have no experience in freefall videography, but I also think the chin is a better location than top of helmet. This mount keeps the camera very close to the helmet, significantly closer than the Grellfab mount by the looks of it.

sundevil777  (D License)

Aug 14, 2018, 5:52 PM
Post #4 of 4 (156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] Chin mount alternatives to Grellfab for G3 and KISS [In reply to] Can't Post

I have used the chinmount.com unit for the KISS helmet for several jumps.

The quality of the design and the 3D printed parts is very high.

Total cost including shipping is only $45 for my session mount for a KISS helmet. It would be only 20 or 25 for a G3 helmet depending on whether you will use a session camera or "full size" gopro.

The design has a very high priority on keeping the camera as close as possible to the helmet. The limit for how close it can be depends a lot on the "upward" angle that the camera can achieve. I needed a design that allows a little more "up" angle because I don't naturally fly with my head as high up as a 20 year old...but it was OK because the guy in Sweden that makes these things already has a modified design like that.

I love that it has a cutaway and it can be dislodged/snap back in place. I already tested that on a hula hoop dive where I dragged the camera against the hoop. The camera got dislodged, allowing it to get past the hula hoop without upsetting the hoop too much, then snapped back right into place. If a bridle or line does manage to snag it, I think there is a good chance of it clearing on its own. That still leaves the cutaway as an option, or the 2 rubber bands holding it on can break.

It hits on the mudflap area of my harness if I don't lean my head back a little when looking far to the side. I think I'll quickly get used to leaning back. Besides that, it rocks!

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)