Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Any experience with a Firebolt 180?

CLWDDNCR  (D 6702)

Sep 23, 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4758 views)
Shortcut
Any experience with a Firebolt 180? Can't Post

Anyone out there have experience or an opinion on a Firebolt 180 loaded 1:1 ?

Thanks in advance,
Clouddancer

[thehardhat@earthlink.net]

Really tired of butt skid landings instead of descent flairs only into 10 knots or better wind for my Triathlon I've just become too heavy for good no wind flares.

hackish  (No License)

Sep 23, 2016, 1:23 PM
Post #2 of 17 (4645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CLWDDNCR] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would suggest you have the trim checked. We have a firebolt 189 at the DZ and I load it around 1.1. It's been a few seasons since I test jumped it but I found the flair to be quite acceptable, far better than my triathalon.

-Michael

Premier faulknerwn  (D 17441)
Sep 23, 2016, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CLWDDNCR] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

From my jumps on them Firebolts open super soft and have a great flare

jumpwally  (D License)

Sep 26, 2016, 7:04 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faulknerwn] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it a quick opener ? or a sniveler ? thx much

Premier faulknerwn  (D 17441)
Sep 28, 2016, 2:08 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumpwally] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely a sniveler.

SecondRound  (A License)

Sep 28, 2016, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faulknerwn] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes a very deliberate sniveler

Hunterbeav  (D License)

Dec 10, 2017, 5:02 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SecondRound] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there an issue with the slider hanging up on the Firebolt canopies

benlangfeld

Dec 10, 2017, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hunterbeav] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Iím a total novice and apparently shouldnít be flying one, but Iíve done 7 jumps on a Firebolt 210 loaded at 0.85 and my observation in comparison with two larger student canopies is that the snivel is very long (I thought I had a malfunction on the first of those jumps) and the slider tends to get stuck for a moment about a foot above the risers, sometimes requiring a pull on rears to get it down.

Hunterbeav  (D License)

Dec 10, 2017, 5:21 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benlangfeld] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

benlangfeld wrote:
Iím a total novice and apparently shouldnít be flying one, but Iíve done 7 jumps on a Firebolt 210 loaded at 0.85 and my observation in comparison with two larger student canopies is that the snivel is very long (I thought I had a malfunction on the first of those jumps) and the slider tends to get stuck for a moment about a foot above the risers, sometimes requiring a pull on rears to get it down.

Hi Ben....sounds like you're doing things right....wing loading at 0.85 sounds ok...did you buy this canopy or are you renting.

benlangfeld

Dec 11, 2017, 1:57 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Renting. I only discovered it was a firebolt after those 7 jumps. Scared me when I found out itís definitely not a beginners canopy.

Hunterbeav  (D License)

Dec 11, 2017, 6:08 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benlangfeld] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

benlangfeld wrote:
Renting. I only discovered it was a firebolt after those 7 jumps. Scared me when I found out itís definitely not a beginners canopy.

Here's what I found on the Firebolt and wing loading:
The FireBolt can't be compared directly to any other canopy. When lightly loaded (.5 or .6 pounds per sq. ft.), it can be a beginner canopy. When heavily loaded (2.3 pounds per sq. ft. to 1.7 pounds per sq. ft.) it is a high performance canopy, that will please the most aggressive canopy pilot. canopy. When loaded from .85 pounds per square foot to 1.6 or so, it is a great all-around canopy, capable of slow flight with lots of stability and great toggling range.

(This post was edited by Hunterbeav on Dec 11, 2017, 6:33 AM)

betzilla  (D 23089)

Dec 11, 2017, 6:28 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3067 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The FireBolt is absolutely new technology

um, not exactly. It's been out since at least 2003 (that is when the first user review was posted here on DZ.com).

Hunterbeav  (D License)

Dec 11, 2017, 6:32 AM
Post #13 of 17 (3064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [betzilla] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

betzilla wrote:
In reply to:

um, not exactly. It's been out since at least 2003 (that is when the first user review was posted here on DZ.com).

Sorry... I should have edited that part......fixed

(This post was edited by Hunterbeav on Dec 11, 2017, 6:34 AM)

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Dec 11, 2017, 7:55 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2986 views)
Shortcut

The firebolt is pretty dated and is between the Stiletto and Sabre in terms of its performance. The Pilot is close to how the Firebolt flies. Not many really high performance pilots would really be that pleased with how it flies when its compared to any of the current designs out there even when you look at the non-crossbraced models. At a light loading it would be fine but if you load it up there are much better flying canopies out there.

shadeland  (D 34638)

Dec 11, 2017, 8:50 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [betzilla] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

betzilla wrote:
In reply to:

2003 was probably the last time they updated their web page.

NancyJ  (D 7675)

Dec 13, 2017, 8:41 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

Typical openings are 300 Ė 400 feet to a fully opened canopy. The FireBolt is tuned for soft, comfortable openings. That is why it's a "cameraman's dream". Front riser pressure is relatively easy. The flare is terrific, and what I mean by that is, itíll ďpop you upĒ if you come in with a lot of speed and apply brakes all at once; or it will give you a sustained surf if you give it a little bit of brake as you enter ground effect. Itís a very effective flare. If you land conservatively (no front riser or hook turn), youíll still get tremendous lift and consequently a good flare with the FireBolt.

The current production FireBolt patterns and line trims has been refined since it was first introduced and since we started using Ultrasil 0-Porosity canopy fabric, FireBolts are wearing much better. The best thing to do is demo one to see how the NEW FireBolt performs.

Hunterbeav  (D License)

Dec 13, 2017, 8:59 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NancyJ] Any experience with a Firebolt 180? [In reply to] Can't Post

NancyJ wrote:
Typical openings are 300 Ė 400 feet to a fully opened canopy. The FireBolt is tuned for soft, comfortable openings. That is why it's a "cameraman's dream". Front riser pressure is relatively easy. The flare is terrific, and what I mean by that is, itíll ďpop you upĒ if you come in with a lot of speed and apply brakes all at once; or it will give you a sustained surf if you give it a little bit of brake as you enter ground effect. Itís a very effective flare. If you land conservatively (no front riser or hook turn), youíll still get tremendous lift and consequently a good flare with the FireBolt.

The current production FireBolt patterns and line trims has been refined since it was first introduced and since we started using Ultrasil 0-Porosity canopy fabric, FireBolts are wearing much better. The best thing to do is demo one to see how the NEW FireBolt performs.

Thanks for the update Nancy

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)