Forums: Skydiving: Tandem Skydiving:
Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice

sabrepilot25

Jun 30, 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5574 views)
Shortcut
Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice Can't Post

Lodi usually has used complete tandem systems available. Has anyone bought or know someone who has bought used tandem gear from bill and if so did you get a good deal? I am going to perhaps naively request that this thread doesn't turn into a high school bitch fest and ask that only people with relevant info to the question respond. From what I have seen most of his gear is in great shape. Thanks :-)

(This post was edited by sabrepilot25 on Jun 30, 2017, 11:00 PM)

PeteS  (D 8230)

Jul 2, 2017, 8:54 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sabrepilot25] Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

In my experience, you will get great containers, reserves and AAD. Bill sells off the oldest first, so the mains have been "Previously enjoyed", some to a high degree. You can plan on relining right away or very soon after receipt, sometimes he lets fairly new mains go out by mistake. Hope that helps, you can buy 2 used rigs for a little more than one brand new.

(This post was edited by PeteS on Jul 2, 2017, 8:56 AM)

sabrepilot25

Jul 4, 2017, 3:47 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PeteS] Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Pete, I appreciate the info. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind. Firstly do you know what sort of jump numbers the containers usually have on them when he starts to sell them off? Also do they tend to have precision reserves in them or Sigma reserves? I have to stick 100% to the rules in my country so putting precision reserves in sigma containers is not an option. Thankyou

PeteS  (D 8230)

Jul 4, 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sabrepilot25] Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

As for Jump numbers, I couldn't tell you. Maybe from the AAD. Mostly Precision reserves, I don't think he has many, if any PD reserves in there.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 6, 2017, 8:31 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PeteS] Buying used tandem gear from Lodi Advice [In reply to] Can't Post

The original regulation (banning mixing-and-matching tandem components from different manufacturers) was to discourage riggers from installing round or Micro-Raven reserves in tandems. Back in 1983, only two factories built tandems. They had not tested the other manufacturers' components.
Later on lawyers confused the issue by suing Strong Enterprises for an accident involving a TI (certified to jump another rig) who jumped Strong gear, but had never jumped with a Strong Examiner. That lawsuit was expensive to defend even though Strong was eventually found innocent.
Rules are more "common sense" in Canada. I have only packed 425R reserves into Strong DHT and I have only packed big Angelfire reserves into Racer Tandems, but I have packed Pioneer, PD and Precision reserves into Vector/Sigma tandem containers. I have also offered to pack Next tandem reserves into Sigmas.

May I say some good things about Precision tandem reserves?
They passed three certification trials: first for the Eclipse tandem, and secondly for the Finnish Army. Finnish Army pattern tandems evolved into the (current production) Wings Tandem.
My last tandem "save" ended with the TI grumbling about how "boring" his Precision TR-350 reserve flew.

OTOH I used to jump PD-360 canopies (F-111 fabric, etc.) back when they were fashionable as mains. I often jumped with "well nourished" Bavarians. Is there any wonder I have an aching back, aching knee and aching foot.

I would rather be bored under a reserve.

P.S. The best cure for old aches is regular exercise. I celebrated my 60th birthday by hiking the Groose Grind. The following weekend I did 10 tandem jumps.

freefalle  (D 27777)

Jul 11, 2017, 3:41 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4094 views)
Shortcut

When I first moved out here I was looking to pick up a second hand sport rig. I wouldn't have bought what he tried to sell me especially for what he was asking. YMMV,

Value is in the had of the consumer.

Good luck

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 7, 2017, 11:22 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2906 views)
Shortcut

A couple of local DZs use second-hand tandems they bought from Lodi. Mains were due for reline, but harnesses and containers only had minor scuffs.
Given the slower pace of jumping at Canadian DZs, these Sigmas will easily last another decade ..... and thousands of jumps.

kiss_the_sky  (B 6083)

Nov 19, 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #8 of 8 (684 views)
Shortcut

FWIW, We have a lot of tandem gear for sale, only strong DHT though I believe.

Forums : Skydiving : Tandem Skydiving

Search for (options)