Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Jumping mirrorless SLR with wingsuit

emckinley  (B License)

Sep 30, 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #1 of 3 (602 views)
Shortcut
Jumping mirrorless SLR with wingsuit Can't Post

Hey all,

I have been jumping camera for a while now and have only used a gopro while wing suiting. I would like to jump with my Sony A6300 while wing suiting so I can get some higher quality photos.

Does anyone have any advice as far as hazards or major changes that I may encounter? I have a bonehead optik helmet with the sony mounted w/ a cutaway system installed. I cannot really find any info with wingsuits jumping cameras bigger than gopros.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

johnmatrix  (E 9999)

Oct 1, 2017, 1:15 PM
Post #2 of 3 (493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emckinley] Jumping mirrorless SLR with wingsuit [In reply to] Can't Post

I jump a Canon 600D with my wingsuit from time to time.
I have it on a Cookie flat mount on a Cookie Rok, and use a chin-cup cutaway.

I would say aside from higher likelihood of line twists on a wingsuit jump it's no different to a normal skydive with that camera setup. I haven't encountered or heard of any extra issues with it related to wingsuiting.

Skwrl  (C 36419)

Oct 2, 2017, 3:49 AM
Post #3 of 3 (382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnmatrix] Jumping mirrorless SLR with wingsuit [In reply to] Can't Post

johnmatrix wrote:
I jump a Canon 600D with my wingsuit from time to time.
I have it on a Cookie flat mount on a Cookie Rok, and use a chin-cup cutaway.

I would say aside from higher likelihood of line twists on a wingsuit jump it's no different to a normal skydive with that camera setup. I haven't encountered or heard of any extra issues with it related to wingsuiting.

I agree with this. I wingsuit almost exclusively, and have shot a Canon 5D, Mark 2, a Canon 60D, and most recently, an EOS M5. I really don't think it's all that much different than shooting a non-wingsuit skydive; deployment speeds can be a little slower, if done right (which is nice when you have a lot of weight on your head).

So, usual advice - check for snag risks, have a cutaway on your helmet (and know how to use it and how it changes your emergency procedures), and don't let it be a distraction. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your photos.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)