Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ins_Ane  (A License)

Feb 10, 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #1 of 29 (47064 views)
Shortcut
Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 Can't Post

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/...-20170210-story.html

"Nikolay V. Likachev landed underneath an open parachute at Skydive DeLand at the DeLand Municipal Airport shortly after 9 a.m., according to police.
In a 911 call, a witness with the skydiving company said Likachev hit the ground very hard and was unconscious, but breathing. "

(This post was edited by PhreeZone on Feb 22, 2017, 5:38 AM)

jdpml  (D 18680)

Feb 12, 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #2 of 29 (45465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ins_Ane] Injury - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Any updates on his condition ?

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Feb 15, 2017, 3:19 AM
Post #3 of 29 (43897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdpml] Injury - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

From http://www.newschief.com/...mains-hospitalized/1

Quote:
DELAND A sky diver who took a hard landing at Skydive DeLand remains in intensive care and is unable to communicate, a nurse at Halifax Health Medical Center said Monday.

The sky diver, 40-year-old Nikolay Likhachev, suffered a compound fracture to his left leg and a head injury, an incident report released Monday by DeLand police states. The report states that Likhachev had completed 200 jumps, most of them at Skydive DeLand.
Likhachev, whose address in the report is listed in Reston, Va., was injured Friday just before 9:15 a.m. Another customer at the sky-diving facility reported it, but the person did not see Likhachev go down, police said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found Likhachev lying near a tent that had some blood on it, the report states. Likhachev was breathing, but was unresponsive.

DeLand spokesman Chris Graham said police also recovered a camera among Likhachev's belongings. It's not clear whether the camera was videotaping when Likhachev went down, Graham said. The recording device, along with Likhachev's helmet, a pair of shoes, his parachute and safety glasses, have been placed in a sealed bag and are at the DeLand Police Department's evidence room, Graham said.

GFawkes69

Feb 16, 2017, 9:18 AM
Post #4 of 29 (43003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Injury - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like he was in the higher performance landing area at DeLand where the tents are. Likely just messed up a swoop and femured in.

Anachronist

Feb 17, 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #5 of 29 (42288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GFawkes69] Injury - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Word on the street, low turn on a wonky approach. Apparently he had been advised he was flying beyond his skill level.

No word on his condition other than "he's alive."

I hope he recovers, but to say it for the 10,000th time, if anyone tells you you need to cool it and you are being sketch, listen! You were probably sketch long before anyone actually said anything.

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Feb 21, 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 29 (40975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Injury - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

It is my understanding that life support was removed on Saturday and this is now a fatality.

hodges  (D 108409)

Feb 22, 2017, 4:59 AM
Post #7 of 29 (40356 views)
Shortcut

19 years ago today: http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/...0Jr.&Personal=on

(This post was edited by hodges on Feb 22, 2017, 4:59 AM)

bachemj

Mar 24, 2017, 3:43 AM
Post #8 of 29 (6416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ins_Ane] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Kaspersky

Nikolay Likachev has been a quite famous hacker and author (not to be confused with the "antivirus" Eugen Kaspersky). R.I.P.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 1:18 AM
Post #9 of 29 (2426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ins_Ane] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!
There is any real information about that accident with Kris Kaspersky?

it take place in dropzone, and i hardly believe, no one see what happens, and why?

he was, based on his stories, experienced complex situations on landing, including landing at night, and in a restricted areas.

that not means, sure, he is an expert, but i believe, he read and think many hours about canopies, and control techniques, and is hard to believe, he make an simple dangerous mistake, like a turn on very low altitude...

that was very strange - it was a bit famous men, and when it day, there is almost no information about accident conditions and so on.
as if he get lost on unhabitable island...:-O

sorry for my bad english....

PS he also have camera - there also not a video from it?
he do not have any friends amongst skydivers?

WickedWingsuits  (D 30916)

Apr 28, 2017, 5:14 AM
Post #10 of 29 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drago76] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing is, reading and thinking really hard about a skill doesn't actually mean you have it.

Low turns have killed far more experienced skydivers and rarely is there anything new to learn.

Sounds like an aggressive progression with only 200 jumps.

The lessons here are the same as they always are which is probably why there is such little chatter. Slow down, listen to good instructors and enjoy the journey.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 6:44 AM
Post #11 of 29 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WickedWingsuits] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

WickedWingsuits wrote:
The thing is, reading and thinking really hard about a skill doesn't actually mean you have it.

sure. but for more you read and think about, the more you know and understand, i suppose...

Quote:
Low turns have killed far more experienced skydivers and rarely is there anything new to learn.

i know that too, besides i do not clearly understand, why?
it is instinctive , "survival reactions", as it call Keith Code?

but if you are experienced, that often means you have a cold heart, and suppress your reactions, because you know, it make situation only worse ?

Quote:

The lessons here are the same as they always are which is probably why there is such little chatter. Slow down, listen to good instructors and enjoy the journey.

i just want to know, what happens really, and what was situation there?

no any eyewitness / bystander there? :-O

mxk  (D 36227)

Apr 28, 2017, 7:39 AM
Post #12 of 29 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drago76] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any information about the fatality, but I know that Nikolay accumulated those 200 jumps in a very short amount of time. He did his FJC at my DZ only this past summer or fall, don't remember the exact time line. I saw him a couple more times after that, but not sure whether he actually completed AFF at Orange or not. There was also a language barrier apparently; someone mentioned that I would've been helpful in translating to/from Russian for his FJC.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 8:20 AM
Post #13 of 29 (1940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxk] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

mxk wrote:
I don't have any information about the fatality, but I know that Nikolay accumulated those 200 jumps in a very short amount of time. He did his FJC at my DZ only this past summer or fall, don't remember the exact time line. I saw him a couple more times after that, but not sure whether he actually completed AFF at Orange or not. There was also a language barrier apparently; someone mentioned that I would've been helpful in translating to/from Russian for his FJC.

He got A licence, as i know.
there is his youtube channel with some jumps too:

https://www.youtube.com/...jjFAlPlcJidYfzStc75g

Yes, he looks very entusiastic on jumping, and jump very often, as so, get over 200 jumps in a short time.

He do not have registered / posts there?

about language barrier:
i suppose, his english was quite good, he live and work in USA from about 2009 or 2010, and before that he was IT guy, who means, read and understand a lot of technical information in english.

(This post was edited by drago76 on Apr 28, 2017, 8:21 AM)

CrashProne  (B License)

Apr 28, 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #14 of 29 (1780 views)
Shortcut

DISCLAIMER: I am a newb, I have 165 jumps, all in the last year. I fly a big fat canopy, I don't swoop and I've never been to Deland.

A few clues that stand out to even a newbie like myself can be found on his youtube channel.

1. On the last video he posted, the day before his fatal accident, he claims 253 jumps, which (although more than I have) isn't a lot of experience.

2. He states that this is his second jump on a Pilot 117, which by any measure is a performance canopy. Maybe not by competition standards, but certainly I can tell you the crew at my DZ would be very wary about letting a 250 jump skydiver fly a 117 sf canopy, if they allowed it at all. Other videos show him doing at least a couple jumps on a Storm 120, possible even a more aggressive canopy than the Pilot.

3. None of his previous videos, at least as far as I can tell, involve any induced speed, or "high performance" landings. Again, I'm a newbie, but this begs the question, why the aggressive downsizing if you're not building experience in the usual landing techniques of smaller, higher performing canopies? In other words, if you're not extracting all the performance out of your current canopy, then why do you need a smaller, faster one?

4. He also states that this was one of two poor landings that day which resulted in beer fines. At least the one in the video was a simple (fairly) straight in approach. Just another indicator of a possible lack of skill and/or experience.

5. It would appear from the videos that he's posted, that a large percentage of his jumps were solo hop n pops. That's not a thing where I normally jump, so I can't claim to completely understand it, but I would suspect that to mean either (a) he was very interested in building up his jump numbers quickly and/or (b) he was more interested in canopy flight progression than free fall progression. Not sure if this has any bearing, just an interesting (to me anyway) observation.

Nothing there is news I'm sure to most of you more experienced jumpers, but honestly I feel it's helpful to examines one's own progression in the sport and look for warning signs. Unfortunately, one of the best ways to learn to recognize them is to learn from the misfortune of others, and I feel like this is one of those cases. I never met this man, but I believe I can gain some helpful wisdom from him none the less.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #15 of 29 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CrashProne] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

as i remember, he was very delicate constitution, small man. weight about 110 lbs, as so, relative load even on small canopy not high.
in one of his post ( on russian forum) he wrote, there was 12 mph wind, and it was unable to fly against wind - actually wind push he with "his back in front".
also he was very happy for smaller canopy have much more precise and faster control - he compare it with ferrari ....

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Apr 28, 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #16 of 29 (1688 views)
Shortcut

>as i remember, he was very delicate constitution, small man. weight about 110 lbs, as
>so, relative load even on small canopy not high.

People get caught by this all the time. They think "well, I only weigh 110 lbs, so a 117 should be very safe and conservative for me!"

But that's bad reasoning. A 117 canopy loaded at 1:1 will turn faster, be more sensitive to input and will take longer to recover than a 230 loaded at 1:1. Thus while lighter jumpers have some margin over heavier jumpers, that margin does NOT allow them to jump the same loadings that heavier jumpers do at the same experience level.

CrashProne  (B License)

Apr 28, 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #17 of 29 (1663 views)
Shortcut

drago76 wrote:
as i remember, he was very delicate constitution, small man. weight about 110 lbs, as so, relative load even on small canopy not high.
in one of his post ( on russian forum) he wrote, there was 12 mph wind, and it was unable to fly against wind - actually wind push he with "his back in front".
also he was very happy for smaller canopy have much more precise and faster control - he compare it with ferrari ....

I'm a first year skydiver, I believe the same as he was.

If I were a first year automobile driver, it would be questionable (at best) for me to be driving a Ferrari.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #18 of 29 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CrashProne] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

CrashProne wrote:

I'm a first year skydiver, I believe the same as he was.

If I were a first year automobile driver, it would be questionable (at best) for me to be driving a Ferrari.

We all have different level of bad luck in past, a fear, and a luck.

he have very quiet childhood, i think - no reckless bicycles driving, no mopeds, motorcycles, cars - mostly books, thinking, and computers. i have broken bones in my childhood, many crashes on bicycle, and some on motorcycle, not to say about close calls on cars. that lead me to be a bit cowardly, yet even then i have such luck, who otherwise can lead me to death...
as so all that is very questionable. he was bit too fearless, and in final he pay high bill for that, i think, as so, being too much "macho" and "hero" lead to high possibility to be dead.

2billvon: yes, it sounds right, and as minimum a part of that Kris understand, i think. but, have a bit of experience lead us to overthink - in all cases. in cars, in motorcycles, and i think, in skydiving too, more accidents come, when novice gets some experience. when it was green novice, he mostly was very careful. but then he start think - "i was not novice anymore, i have some skills, and experience", and then problem starts - because sills and experience is far too less, than need for that sort of thinking...

obelixtim  (D 84)

Apr 28, 2017, 4:42 PM
Post #19 of 29 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WickedWingsuits] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

Its not difficult to clock up 200 jumps quickly if you have the time and money to do so.

That doesn't always equate to experience.

When Tandems were invented, I can remember discussions about the necessary qualifications to get a rating. Jump numbers were set quite high, and the reason for that was because high numbers equated to time in the sport, because back in the day it took quite a long time to accumulate those jump numbers.

Recognising that things were changing, and someone could clock up numbers in a short time, the discussion turned to number of years in the sport, and it was agreed that a minimum of 3 years was a good idea, because it meant that someone had been around long enough to gain experience, which comes from spending time on the DZ. It also gave candidates the chance to gain other ratings, like jumpmaster, which meant they got experience dealing with different situations that arise with taking responsibility with others.

My point is simply that this guy seems to have got in over his head when it comes to downsizing, and his lack of time in the sport meant he hadn't been around long enough to learn from others mistakes, plus he was not monitored closely enough to appreciate the pitfalls that can come with rapid progression.

However the old adage still,applies...once out the door you are on your own, you are responsible for your own life.

Its easy to see why he was not more closely monitored, at 200 jumps one should be able to make wise decisions for themselves, but sadly that is not always the case.

We need to look out for these individuals, especially when there might be a language barrier.

Quite a few lessons can be learnt from this incident.

drago76

Apr 28, 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #20 of 29 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obelixtim] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

he wrote, he seen many folks with traumas, broken bones on dropzones, as he know, that was dangerous hobby.
jumping on one dropzone, he write, he see women crashed by trying turn on low altitude, and broken leg in two places.

and some time after that he wrote, he make landing in ditch, and because he have seen that women, and learn from hes mistake, he do not try turn on low altitude, but going in ditch, and as result, make safe landing, yet it got wet all over...

as so, he, based on his own writings, not look completely novice, dumb, and unknown - that is the fact, why i want to know more about it last jump, and a bit doubt, he was make so elementary mistake as simple turn on low altitude...

obelixtim  (D 84)

Apr 29, 2017, 3:06 AM
Post #21 of 29 (937 views)
Shortcut

drago76 wrote:
he wrote, he seen many folks with traumas, broken bones on dropzones, as he know, that was dangerous hobby.
jumping on one dropzone, he write, he see women crashed by trying turn on low altitude, and broken leg in two places.

and some time after that he wrote, he make landing in ditch, and because he have seen that women, and learn from hes mistake, he do not try turn on low altitude, but going in ditch, and as result, make safe landing, yet it got wet all over...

as so, he, based on his own writings, not look completely novice, dumb, and unknown - that is the fact, why i want to know more about it last jump, and a bit doubt, he was make so elementary mistake as simple turn on low altitude...

You can't ask him.

People make mistakes. Sometimes more than once. Sometimes it works out OK, sometimes not.

drago76

Apr 29, 2017, 5:33 AM
Post #22 of 29 (836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obelixtim] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

obelixtim wrote:

You can't ask him.

People make mistakes. Sometimes more than once. Sometimes it works out OK, sometimes not.

yes, i cant, that's why i want to read extended version of "what's happen " ( not a-la "he fly, fly, and then he fall dead - words from street"), and if there will be video, then all is ideal.

on extended version i mean something like "there was windy, he make high turn, and come on glissade, but speed rises too fast, and in its way come fence, and then ...".

that means - a bit story from person who was there, when it happens, and know - what happen, and what lead for that.

general talks about "he must more careful" and so on, sure, do not bring any valuable info for us, instead of disassembling concrete accidents.

that is who i think. maybe i am wrong ( after all, i am not Einstein, nor Feynman), and in skydiving world i am very new, and know almost nothing, but...

normiss  (D 28356)

Apr 29, 2017, 7:16 AM
Post #23 of 29 (726 views)
Shortcut

With only 200 jumps, he lacked the experience IMO.

I've seen people with 1000'a of jumps make a bad call and injure or kill themselves.

IanHarrop  (C 1152)

Apr 29, 2017, 7:30 AM
Post #24 of 29 (702 views)
Shortcut

The sad truth is that people with all level of experience and expertise make mistakes.

I've lost friends that had thousands of jumps because they made a mistake during landing.

Too many times I've been reminded that if it can happen to them, it can happen to me.

drago76

Apr 29, 2017, 7:50 AM
Post #25 of 29 (680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IanHarrop] Fatality - Skydive DeLand, FL, USA - 2017-02-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

IanHarrop wrote:
The sad truth is that people with all level of experience and expertise make mistakes.

I've lost friends that had thousands of jumps because they made a mistake during landing.

Too many times I've been reminded that if it can happen to them, it can happen to me.

that start to look to me, a skydiving dangerousness is very underestimated...?

i have hear a skydiving is much more safe, than driving a car, but...?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)