Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Sky Switches mouth camera switch review

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

photognat

Dec 9, 2016, 4:56 AM
Post #1 of 26 (6276 views)
Shortcut
Sky Switches mouth camera switch review Can't Post

Posting this here because there's not a place in the gear review section for Sky Switches:

I messaged Kris at Sky Switches (http://skyswitches.com) about making a custom two-port adapter so I could shoot two Sony mirrorless cameras. He replied almost instantly asking how I'd be using it and then sent me a very reasonable quote for the switch within 9 minutes. Cost for the whole thing (mouth switch to 2.5mm, 2.5mm to dual Sony plugs) was way less than Chutingstar's price for a single 2.5mm to Sony multi adapter. He had it custom built and shipped out within a couple days and kept me updated on a small change before he'd shipped it. I received it 4 business days later (EU, but he ships worldwide).

Build quality of the switch and his custom right angle Sony plugs were very good. The switch is solid with plenty of shrink wrap to reinforce it and the Sony plugs fit very snug. They will definitely not be falling out mid-jump. They take more force to remove than my other Sony mouth switch.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mouth switch is straight instead of in a right angle, so when you use it as a tongue switch it has to stick straight out and then curve around to go back into your helmet, leaving a fair bit of excess cable flopping around before you put the helmet on and then once you mount it and have the switch in your mouth, if you push it out to talk to someone it flops down and you have to re-insert it with your hand. Check the attached photos to see what I mean.

My Exit Equipment switch (which would have been around twice the price of the two-plug Sky Switch) with a right-angle mouth switch ends up snug with your face and you can push it out of your mouth to talk and then grab it with your teeth again.

The Sky Switch mouth switch also has a flat part on the top and a notched part on the bottom, so once you get used to it you'll want to have it facing the same way every time and you may have to put it in your mouth, feel that it's the wrong way, and then flip it the other way with your hand. If it was a right angle then it would only go one way and you'd never have to check if it needs to be flipped.

If it had a right angle mouth switch that was flat/symmetrical I'd give it 10/10. As it is I'd still buy one with a 2.5mm adapter so you can see if you like the mouth switch and have the option to change it. Highly recommended.
Attachments: Sky switch.jpg (73.2 KB)
  Exit equipment switch.jpg (54.2 KB)


jumpsalot-2  (D 33093)

Dec 9, 2016, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [photognat] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if it was critical to you ( I use a 90 deg tongue switch also ) you could send him your tongue switch and have him modify that switch. It would take longer with shipping, but you would be more comfortable.


degeneration

Dec 10, 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #3 of 26 (6087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumpsalot-2] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

At the moment, I don't make a right angle at the switch end of things, so wouldn't be able to modify one just now unfortunately. All my right angles are in the connector.

This is because:
i) I don't have the bits to make a right angle at the switch end at the moment
ii) I've not done any testing to find suitable raw parts to make a decent right angle at the switch end; and
iii) originally when I started making switches it was a deliberate choice to not have right angle at the switch end, this was because I didn't want to presume which side of the helmet people route their switch from. Having a right angle with the way the actual switch part is made would restrict routing to it coming from one side only.

However, the OP isn't the first person to comment saying they'd like the right angle up at the mouth, so I will look into what I can get and do to make it like that, and will potentially make this an option in the future, if I can make one that is acceptable in quality.


jtiflyer  (D 27430)

Dec 10, 2016, 9:28 PM
Post #4 of 26 (5976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

degeneration wrote:
At the moment, I don't make a right angle at the switch end of things, so wouldn't be able to modify one just now unfortunately. All my right angles are in the connector.

This is because:
i) I don't have the bits to make a right angle at the switch end at the moment
ii) I've not done any testing to find suitable raw parts to make a decent right angle at the switch end; and
iii) originally when I started making switches it was a deliberate choice to not have right angle at the switch end, this was because I didn't want to presume which side of the helmet people route their switch from. Having a right angle with the way the actual switch part is made would restrict routing to it coming from one side only.

However, the OP isn't the first person to comment saying they'd like the right angle up at the mouth, so I will look into what I can get and do to make it like that, and will potentially make this an option in the future, if I can make one that is acceptable in quality.


not to nit pick but for reason 3, couldn't you just flip the switch over to get the switch to rout the other direction?? I have been waiting for you to come up with a Conceptus type tongue switch for a long time. Finally broke my first skyswitch recently. It last a good long time and lots of abuse.


degeneration

Dec 11, 2016, 3:03 AM
Post #5 of 26 (5934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

jtiflyer wrote:
not to nit pick but for reason 3, couldn't you just flip the switch over to get the switch to rout the other direction?? I have been waiting for you to come up with a Conceptus type tongue switch for a long time. Finally broke my first skyswitch recently. It last a good long time and lots of abuse.

Happy with nitpicking and happy to answer questions!

Not sure flipping switch over would work, as then then tongue would be pressing on the back of the switch, and not the side with the actual button on it. That would almost certainly result in the button not being pressed as easily, if at all.

http://skyswitches.com/img/switch-side.jpg

The above is a pic of my switches from the side. The ridge on the back is deliberate for two reasons 1) to protect the soldering underneath, and 2) to allow those that use the switch as a "gentle nibble" switch (not a bite switch!) to know when their teeth are aligned over the centre of the switch part. Having your tooth up against the ridge should mean your opposing tooth is over the button for gentle presses using your teeth.

If you pressed on the back with your tongue, I don't think it is likely that the front will receive enough pressure to activate the button.

I do have an idea for a reversible switch at the moment, which I'm planning on making very soon. Not sure whether it'll actually work or whether added bulk will make it too uncomfortable, but I'll have a play around and see.

That and looking into a right angle option are my plans for over the xmas period, then if they are decently usable, I'll see where it goes from there.


(This post was edited by degeneration on Dec 11, 2016, 3:04 AM)


photognat

Dec 12, 2016, 3:01 AM
Post #6 of 26 (5815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

What about running the wire through a thin walled aluminum tube and bending it 90 degrees? Or maybe through a plastic tube and then heat the tube and then bend it. Or running a metal wire (like a metal clothes hangar) alongside the wire and then heat the shrink wrap tightly at the ends but not in the center so that it can be bent?

Toughening it up a little bit so it can be used as a bite switch would solve the left or right side problem. Or just have it as another order option.


degeneration

Dec 12, 2016, 5:48 AM
Post #7 of 26 (5783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [photognat] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

photognat wrote:
What about running the wire through a thin walled aluminum tube and bending it 90 degrees? Or maybe through a plastic tube and then heat the tube and then bend it. Or running a metal wire (like a metal clothes hangar) alongside the wire and then heat the shrink wrap tightly at the ends but not in the center so that it can be bent?

I'm looking into finding appropriate tubing that I could do this with - most likely plastic, as I don't have metal working tools. Have got some things on order to experiment with once they arrive.

The metal wire approach is interesting, and not one I had thought of, so will definitely experiment with that. That would potentially also solve left/right routing issue as if the metal wire is firm, but pliable, the user could bend to the side of their choice... I like it. If I end up offering a right angle option, and I go with the wire approach, I'll send you one as a freebie as a thanks for suggesting it!

photognat wrote:
Toughening it up a little bit so it can be used as a bite switch would solve the left or right side problem. Or just have it as another order option.

I played around with that a year or so ago, to add a bite switch option, but all the materials I tried didn't stand up to enough abuse to make them reliable or were too bulky for use.

Since then, making a bite option has been put on hold. Kids and life in general don't offer me much time to play around!


photognat

Dec 12, 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #8 of 26 (5658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool, thanks!

Is the problem with the bite switch that the microswitch is breaking/disconnecting or the shrink tube tearing? If it's the shrink tube you could include a couple extra pieces of shrink tube with one side pre-shrunk & glued so they just have to remove the old one and slide the new one on and heat it. Or switch to a surface mount switch and use a heavy wall tube.

Although having to replace the switch after 6 months of regular use isn't a big deal IMO.

Here are some shots from Saturday with your switch: https://drive.google.com/...qx6TCYml1QmdubF9obDA


degeneration

Dec 13, 2016, 12:54 AM
Post #9 of 26 (5646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [photognat] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

photognat wrote:
Is the problem with the bite switch that the microswitch is breaking/disconnecting or the shrink tube tearing? If it's the shrink tube you could include a couple extra pieces of shrink tube with one side pre-shrunk & glued so they just have to remove the old one and slide the new one on and heat it. Or switch to a surface mount switch and use a heavy wall tube.

Although having to replace the switch after 6 months of regular use isn't a big deal IMO.

Bit of both. Personally I don't think getting a customer to replace some protective cover is an acceptable approach, and isn't something I'd want to do. I'd also want any switch I buy/make to last more than 6 months. I hope mine do in general.

For bite switches I tried, the thinner walled cover wears away too quickly. The thicker walled stuff I tried was much tougher, but still cracked too readily. It was also extremely bulky. I don't think shrink tubing is the way forward for bite switches. Whichever way it is covered, there still has to be enough protection for the soldering at the switch contacts. I think repeated chomping on the switches I make, even with the cover over the soldered parts, is likely to cause an issue there.

A durable, thin rubber would be best, and probably a different microswitch shape/type. Maybe one day I'll try out a few ideas I have if I can find the bits I'd want, but it's not on my to do list in the short term. Conceptus already do a good bite switch, so whatever I would do would have to be able to be done at a price point notably cheaper than theirs to make it worthwhile.


RyanFYF  (D License)

Jan 10, 2017, 7:37 AM
Post #10 of 26 (5127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Just ordered two for my new sony a6300. Can't wait to try these out


Dos  (C License)

Jan 10, 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #11 of 26 (5095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RyanFYF] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

I just received mine. Works great with a nice quality. Kris, you are the Man !


degeneration

Jan 11, 2017, 3:28 PM
Post #12 of 26 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RyanFYF] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

RyanFYF wrote:
Just ordered two for my new sony a6300. Can't wait to try these out

And I've just sent you an email with your tracking number.


On a different note, as stated in some of the posts above, I am trying out a few ideas for the switch having a right angle at the mouth part.

I've already sent three to the OP of this thread for feedback and suggestions, but would also like a another opinion on them.

So I'm looking for someone who would be willing to try out two different switches. Both do exactly the same thing, but are made differently, and have different aesthetics. All I ask is you pay the actual shipping cost to get them to you, otherwise they are free. I would also like whoever wants them to at least frequently jump camera so I can get timely feedback from not just trying out on the ground, but actual air use. Familiarity with my current design wouldn't do any harm for a comparison either.

They have a 2.5mm connector, so are either good for Canon cameras, or for any other camera with a suitable 2.5mm adaptor.

Anyone with an appropriate camera fit the bill and willing to give them a try, then give me some feedback? Smile


degeneration

Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 26 (4850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

degeneration wrote:
So I'm looking for someone who would be willing to try out two different switches.
.
.
.
Anyone with an appropriate camera fit the bill and willing to give them a try, then give me some feedback? Smile

Got someone. Thanks for the interest. There may be more test switches at a later point, we'll see.


jtiflyer  (D 27430)

Jan 13, 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #14 of 26 (4752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

degeneration wrote:
degeneration wrote:
So I'm looking for someone who would be willing to try out two different switches.
.
.
.
Anyone with an appropriate camera fit the bill and willing to give them a try, then give me some feedback? Smile

Got someone. Thanks for the interest. There may be more test switches at a later point, we'll see.

if you need someone to test out the sony multi port I gladly volunteer. Hoping the right angle switch happens soon.


photognat

Jan 14, 2017, 2:31 AM
Post #15 of 26 (4740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

He already sells right angle switches for every Sony multi-terminal camera.

http://www.skyswitches.com/index.asp?q=buy&c=


(This post was edited by photognat on Jan 14, 2017, 2:31 AM)
Attachments: multi-large.jpg (98.5 KB)


degeneration

Jan 14, 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #16 of 26 (4690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [photognat] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Think he was meaning right angle at the switch end, not the connector end.

Smile


degeneration

Jan 14, 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #17 of 26 (4683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

jtiflyer wrote:
if you need someone to test out the sony multi port I gladly volunteer. Hoping the right angle switch happens soon.

All beta testing versions will be done on 2.5mm cables, as they are considerably cheaper than multi-terminal connectors. Once I've got a design that I'm happy with from the functionality and aesthetic point of view, then I'll roll it out to other connectors.

If you can test with a 2.5mm connector, I'll be in touch with you if there's another round of testing.


degeneration

Jun 7, 2017, 3:40 PM
Post #18 of 26 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

jtiflyer wrote:
Hoping the right angle switch happens soon.

Well, it's happened. Available now.


photognat

Jun 8, 2017, 3:50 AM
Post #19 of 26 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Couple shots from this morning with your switch :)






(This post was edited by photognat on Jun 8, 2017, 3:51 AM)


jtiflyer  (D 27430)

Jun 9, 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #20 of 26 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

I was referring right angle (vertical) at the switch like a conceptus tongue switch


degeneration

Jun 9, 2017, 2:25 PM
Post #21 of 26 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

jtiflyer wrote:
I was referring right angle (vertical) at the switch like a conceptus tongue switch

Ah, I wasn't. Didn't realise that's what you meant. Thought you meant the fixed right angle routing of the cable once it comes out your mouth.

The right angle actual switch so it is like a T but on its side? If that's the case, that's not going to happen. That's Conceptus' design. I'm afraid if that's what you want, as Conceptus already make it, use a Conceptus!

Sorry.


jtiflyer  (D 27430)

Jun 11, 2017, 7:28 PM
Post #22 of 26 (828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

degeneration wrote:
jtiflyer wrote:
I was referring right angle (vertical) at the switch like a conceptus tongue switch

Ah, I wasn't. Didn't realise that's what you meant. Thought you meant the fixed right angle routing of the cable once it comes out your mouth.

The right angle actual switch so it is like a T but on its side? If that's the case, that's not going to happen. That's Conceptus' design. I'm afraid if that's what you want, as Conceptus already make it, use a Conceptus!

Sorry.

nah my sky switch works too well for me to switch back


degeneration

Jun 15, 2017, 3:04 PM
Post #23 of 26 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtiflyer] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to hear that. Smile

If you fancy something different some time, I've now added a Blow Switch to my list of products available...


DougH  (D License)

Jun 15, 2017, 3:23 PM
Post #24 of 26 (563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

Another rave view for Sky Switches.

Both the 2.5 adapter, and the switch for my A7II have been fantastic.

Price, customer service, and speed of shipping all excellent.


jtiflyer  (D 27430)

Jun 18, 2017, 8:05 PM
Post #25 of 26 (304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [degeneration] Sky Switches mouth camera switch review [In reply to] Can't Post

degeneration wrote:
Nice to hear that. Smile

If you fancy something different some time, I've now added a Blow Switch to my list of products available...

I have used blow switches in the past, jumping from 18k all day can leave me a little winded blowing all the time. besides my wife would prefer I practice my tongue switch not a blow switch Tongue


First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

 


Search for (options)