Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Container sizing for noob

 


LukeSkyBoarder

Jul 17, 2014, 9:38 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Container sizing for noob Can't Post

Hi All,

I'm a 2 month AFF student with 16 jumps and I'm researching and planning for my 1st rig. I weigh 130lb so I'm looking for a container that can hold a 170 zp main canopy and 180-190 reserve canopy. I also want the container to be downsizable to 150 main canopy.

I like Vector III Micro, Mirage G4, and Wings but I'm not sure of the container size.

Vector III Micro: V350?
Mirage G4: M5, M6?
Wings: ???

Is my assessment right?


grantunderland  (D License)

Jul 17, 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

For a Vector, a V349 might be a better choice assuming you're going with a PD176/OP193 or another "Standard" fitting reserve.
I had a V351, which lists the same Std/Full fitting mains as a V350, and a 150 wasn't the best choice when fitted with a "Standard" fitting reserve. A Pulse 170 was ok, but a regular 150 just didn't quite fit right.


kevin442  (C License)

Jul 17, 2014, 1:20 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grantunderland] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

For the mirage you may want to look at either a M2 or a M3. I jump a M2 with a PD 143 reserve and put around 300 jumps on it with a sabre 2 170 main. Packing is a little tough at first if youre not a good packer and have a new canopy though. I even had a PD vengeance 170 in that container for a little while which is an airlock canopy so it packs about 20% larger according to PD. You can also go with a PD 160 optima for a reserve in a M2. As for a M3 the main is the same size but you can fit a PD 160 reserve or a 176 optima reserve.


GooniesKid

Jul 17, 2014, 1:33 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

LukeSkyBoarder wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a 2 month AFF student with 16 jumps and I'm researching and planning for my 1st rig. I weigh 130lb so I'm looking for a container that can hold a 170 zp main canopy and 180-190 reserve canopy. I also want the container to be downsizable to 150 main canopy.

I like Vector III Micro, Mirage G4, and Wings but I'm not sure of the container size.

Vector III Micro: V350?
Mirage G4: M5, M6?
Wings: ???

Is my assessment right?

Just a FYI, there is no Micro that will fit the canopies you are looking to use.

see upt reference chart http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/...Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf


LukeSkyBoarder

Jul 17, 2014, 1:52 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GooniesKid] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey GooniesKid,

That's what I thought too when I saw the unitedparachutetechnologies rig but I was chatting with someone at my jump spot and he said there is a Vector III micro compatible for 170 main.


JBR  (B License)

Jul 17, 2014, 3:03 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

LukeSkyBoarder wrote:
Hey GooniesKid,

That's what I thought too when I saw the unitedparachutetechnologies rig but I was chatting with someone at my jump spot and he said there is a Vector III micro compatible for 170 main.

If he had long hair and a beard I'd take his word for it, if he didn't I'd trust the info on UPT's website!!!


GooniesKid

Jul 17, 2014, 3:25 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

LukeSkyBoarder wrote:
Hey GooniesKid,

That's what I thought too when I saw the unitedparachutetechnologies rig but I was chatting with someone at my jump spot and he said there is a Vector III micro compatible for 170 main.
No worries man...your choice. Trust what the manufacturer documnted or the dude @ the jump spot.


Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jul 17, 2014, 4:00 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are ordering custom, don't worry about container size. Let the manufacturer decide what size based on the canopies and line types you will be putting into it, and in some cases how tight of a fit you want (you don't want tight).

Why? If they size the container and your canopies don't fit, they will take care of you at no charge. If you specify a container size and your canopies don't fit, well, you got what you asked for.


Joellercoaster  (D 105792)

Jul 18, 2014, 1:30 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

skybytch wrote:
If you are ordering custom, don't worry about container size. Let the manufacturer decide what size based on the canopies and line types you will be putting into it

This. Definitely this.


labrys  (D 29848)

Jul 18, 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Joellercoaster] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get the impression that he was ordering custom, but rather than he wants to buy a rig and he isn't quite sure what container size he needs.


chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jul 18, 2014, 2:11 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LukeSkyBoarder] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of curiosity, why do you want a reserve that is 180-190 with a body weight of 130?


JeffCa  (C License)

Jul 18, 2014, 2:40 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

chuckakers wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you want a reserve that is 180-190 with a body weight of 130?

I'm not the OP, but I weigh 155 and have a 218 reserve. I bought my reserve and sized my rig for "the unconscious scenario", bought low-bulk to get more canopy into the same container. Dz.com members also helped me to think it through, and I think I made a good decision in the end. I've yet to meet my reserve in action.


chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jul 18, 2014, 2:47 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JeffCa] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

JeffCa wrote:
chuckakers wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you want a reserve that is 180-190 with a body weight of 130?

I'm not the OP, but I weigh 155 and have a 218 reserve. I bought my reserve and sized my rig for "the unconscious scenario", bought low-bulk to get more canopy into the same container. Dz.com members also helped me to think it through, and I think I made a good decision in the end. I've yet to meet my reserve in action.

I like the way you think.


JeffCa  (C License)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Container sizing for noob [In reply to] Can't Post

chuckakers wrote:
JeffCa wrote:
chuckakers wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you want a reserve that is 180-190 with a body weight of 130?

I'm not the OP, but I weigh 155 and have a 218 reserve. I bought my reserve and sized my rig for "the unconscious scenario", bought low-bulk to get more canopy into the same container. Dz.com members also helped me to think it through, and I think I made a good decision in the end. I've yet to meet my reserve in action.

I like the way you think.

Thanks, it means something coming from a well-repsected jumper like yourself. Not sure who wrote it in my thread about reserve choice, but I was told that nobody ever cutaway, looked up at their reserve and said, "I really don't need so much reserve." It made sense. I understand that my choice won't be the best in a strong-wind reserve scenario, but point out a reserve choice that is best for all scenarios, various levels of incapacitation, all wind conditions, etc.



Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

 


Search for (options)