Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

airborne82nd  (C License)

Mar 8, 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #1 of 261 (13240 views)
Shortcut
Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) Can't Post

Florida dropzone? 172 hit a skydiver? anyoneknow where and who?

Chris

(This post was edited by PhreeZone on Mar 8, 2014, 4:43 PM)

stratostar  (Student)

Mar 8, 2014, 2:04 PM
Post #2 of 261 (12962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airborne82nd] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.baynews9.com/...and_plane_crash.html

MULBERRY --

The Polk County Sheriff's Office and Polk Fire Rescue responded to a skydiving plane crash on Saturday afternoon in Mulberry.

According to reports, Shannon Trembley was doing "touch and goes," which are a maneuver that involves landing on a runway and taking off again without coming to a full stop, in his private Cessna from the South Lakeland Airport near 7500 Coronet Road in the Mulberry area around 11 a.m.

During his third pass, officials said the passenger-side wing of his plane became entangled in and then cut the strings of a parachutist.

The parachutist, John S. Frost of Gainesville, was flung to the ground, officials said. The plane nose-dived into the ground.

The incident occurred at around 75 feet above the ground.

Both men were transported by ambulance to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Frost was treated and released. Trembley is being held for observation.

Neither received serious injuries. No other people were involved.

The NTSB and FAA were notified and have responded to the scene. They will investigate the incident.

iopenhi  (D 30110)

Mar 8, 2014, 2:27 PM
Post #3 of 261 (12920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

Flung to the ground from 75'... Miraculous indeed that he sustained no injuries...

Or perhaps that's not entirely accurate

theonlyski  (D License)

Mar 8, 2014, 2:45 PM
Post #4 of 261 (12881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airborne82nd] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/...rs-parachute-mid-air

You'll say holy fuckballs just like I did.

(This post was edited by theonlyski on Mar 8, 2014, 3:27 PM)

sundevil777  (D License)

Mar 8, 2014, 2:54 PM
Post #5 of 261 (12870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

75 feet above the ground?

Reporters, and editors can't get it even close to right, even when they are publishing the pics that show the event.

browncow  (D License)

Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 261 (12690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

Holy fuckballs

SoCalJumper  (D License)

Mar 8, 2014, 4:46 PM
Post #7 of 261 (12491 views)
Shortcut

DAMN!!!! Crazy

shropshire  (C License)

Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM
Post #8 of 261 (12195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airborne82nd] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wrong place .... wrong time

strife  (D 5457)

Mar 8, 2014, 6:17 PM
Post #9 of 261 (12191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SoCalJumper] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

the photos are incredible, they are both lucky people, holy batshit.

Lukasz_Se  (A License)

Mar 8, 2014, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 261 (12065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I understand there was a 172 that hit a skydiver in Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

theonlyski wrote:
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/...rs-parachute-mid-air

You'll say holy fuckballs just like I did.
Holy fuckballsShocked
So lucky to walk away from that!!!

Quincy  (D 26576)

Mar 8, 2014, 7:30 PM
Post #11 of 261 (11918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airborne82nd] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

FIRST ... glad everyone was OK.

That said, this is why I NEVER believe the news media...!!!... I mean look at the pictures and read the article. <<< They say "... and then cut the strings of a skydiver's parachute 75 feet above the ground." >>> What ... is it a requirement to get into the media that you have actual crystal clear photographic evidence and then you get to print something completely INSANE...???...!!!... His feet might have been 7.5 INCHES above the ground ... but clearly not 75 feet.

Second ... the article is titled "Private skydiving plane..." that is doing touch-and-go landings. After reading the above ... anything else seem out of place with that statement?

NEVER believe the media...!!!... They can't even have the pictures and get the narrative right in the same article.

OK ... vent off/over...

Scrumpot  (D License)

Mar 8, 2014, 7:50 PM
Post #12 of 261 (11849 views)
Shortcut

Incredible pictures, attached to this article, here:
http://news.msn.com/us/skydiver-pilot-treated-after-midair-accident

Just based upon the raw pictures alone... absolutely amazing either survived, let alone merely minor injuries!

Anyone have pertinent details?

DAVE619  (D 29384)

Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM
Post #13 of 261 (11583 views)
Shortcut

Most every place I have jumped has rules regarding staying the hell away from runways & taxiways, this usually includes the airspace above them up to 1000'. What are the policies at this place? If this happened on take off or landing I am assuming it happened pretty close to the runway, why was the jumper so close to an active runway?

D22369  (D 22369)

Mar 8, 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #14 of 261 (11455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DAVE619] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

at skydive Yakima we landed on the grass runway unless there was an airplane taking off/landing- then you got to practice landing in the small parking lot or on the edge of the runway - or if high enough you could land on the other side of the orchard.

have to pay attention, this jumper wasn't obviously, he could have easily landed on the edge of the runway if he would have seen the plane

Roy

pope  (D 19947)

Mar 9, 2014, 1:27 AM
Post #15 of 261 (11299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DAVE619] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

DAVE619 wrote:
Most every place I have jumped has rules regarding staying the hell away from runways & taxiways, this usually includes the airspace above them up to 1000'. What are the policies at this place? If this happened on take off or landing I am assuming it happened pretty close to the runway, why was the jumper so close to an active runway?
+1.
If the Cessna pilot was truly doing t&g's, then IMHO this jumper had no business landing where he was. If it's really that cut and dry (and it rarely is) he should have picked a spot to the side of the runway. If there were no spots on the side of the runway, (especially if this jump was made under a temporary NOTAM for a demo), then more attention needed to be paid to radio ATC and ground control, which may be true either way...based only on what I saw in the photos and basic reports...
$0.02

PiLFy  (A License)

Mar 9, 2014, 4:10 AM
Post #16 of 261 (11196 views)
Shortcut

OK, I only have limited experience, & have only jumped at six DZs. But... all those DZs strictly kept the plane(s) away from the LZ until all jumpers had landed. From the pix, it appears the jumper (aka: Lucky) followed a typical pattern where he turned onto final at the edge of the runway. He was about 20' or more in over the grass when hit.

What kind of DZ allows T&Gs w/jumpers in the air??

FlyingRon

Mar 9, 2014, 4:59 AM
Post #17 of 261 (11115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

This pearl from the airport directory...

PARACHUTE JUMPING AND ULTRALIGHT ACTIVITY ON AND INVOF ARPT. THLDS MKD WITH 3 WHITE BUCKETS PERPENDICULAR TO CNTRLN.

DannHuff

Mar 9, 2014, 5:20 AM
Post #18 of 261 (11060 views)
Shortcut

Well done to the photographer who did a great job in capturing the incident.

jimjumper  (D 11137)

Mar 9, 2014, 6:38 AM
Post #19 of 261 (10899 views)
Shortcut

The photo's and a sensationalized story were just shown on the "Today" show. It also gave them an excuse to show photo's from the Oklahoma incident and the plane collision from last year.

billokeefe  (D 7953)

Mar 9, 2014, 7:01 AM
Post #20 of 261 (10850 views)
Shortcut

As Klatu would say "Thank the Almighty Spirit" that no one was hurt. I just saw this on the news this Sunday morning. Just to set the record straight about the aircraft. It's a Cessna 170, or at least looks big enough to be that model, maybe a Cessna 140, but it is definately NOT a 172. Please note the tailwheel. In any event, this sure is one of those situations where hopefully everyone will learn a good lesson and nobody got hurt in the learning. This really shows that both pilots and jumpers need to maintain a vigilance for each other and both have a responsibility to do so when sharing the airspace.

PiLFy  (A License)

Mar 9, 2014, 7:39 AM
Post #21 of 261 (10698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FlyingRon] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

FlyingRon wrote:

PARACHUTE JUMPING AND ULTRALIGHT ACTIVITY ON AND INVOF ARPT. THLDS MKD WITH 3 WHITE BUCKETS PERPENDICULAR TO CNTRLN.

I ran that through Google Translate, but am still at a loss. What's that last sentence mean??

ryoder  (D 6663)

Mar 9, 2014, 7:43 AM
Post #22 of 261 (10686 views)
Shortcut

Before throwing stones at the pilot, take a look at the airport.
It is just a grass strip, and the peas are right on the edge of it at the South East end: https://www.google.com/...5:0xd93f5abd765e6bc1

PiLFy  (A License)

Mar 9, 2014, 7:53 AM
Post #23 of 261 (10624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ryoder] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

ryoder wrote:
Before throwing stones at the pilot, take a look at the airport.
It is just a grass strip, and the peas are right on the edge of it at the South East end: https://www.google.com/...5:0xd93f5abd765e6bc1

Not trying to throw Anyone under the bus. Just trying to learn what happened. If that's the airport. Then, the pilot was doing T&Gs right at the corner where parachutes were landing.

Are You sure that's the right airport? If so, the pilot chose to do T&Gs at an end of the runway, right where Skydivers were landing Crazy.

Quincy  (D 26576)

Mar 9, 2014, 7:56 AM
Post #24 of 261 (10616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billokeefe] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

Zoom in on the pics. From the tail number a Cessna 170B.

dzjnky  (D 28727)

Mar 9, 2014, 8:12 AM
Post #25 of 261 (10566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] Non-Injury - Tampa FL - 8 March 2014 (Airplane hits jumper) [In reply to] Can't Post

PiLFy wrote:
FlyingRon wrote:

I ran that through Google Translate, but am still at a loss. What's that last sentence mean??

THLDS MKD WITH 3 WHITE BUCKETS PERPENDICULAR TO CNTRLN. = Thresholds Marked with three white buckets perpendicular to centerline [of runway].

Also, I think "INVOF" means "In vicinity of"

In other words, the end of the runway is marked by white buckets.

Check out "South Lakeland Airport, Coronet Road, Mulberry, Florida" on Google Earth - this appears to me to be an "interesting" place to skydive, and one where the skydivers should be acutely aware of airplane traffic... I know nothing of the skydiving operation there, and thus do not know what local policies are regarding crossing the runway.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)