Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
A little help and advise on helmets please!

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1418 views)
Shortcut
A little help and advise on helmets please! Can't Post

Hi everybody,
Short history
Noob
1 tandem jump last fall (not my idea it was my sister in-law. I'm too old. 51 yrs)
Hooked like a fish (who knew)
Started tunnel training for AFF last week (5 min time)
Second time last night (10 min time)
Sitting here typing this with a nose that seems like it has a garden hose attached to it that won't shut off.
All that being said, I know I will be using the DZ's equipment during my AFF training but I apparently have a problem with my nose during extended time breathing in the tunnel.
I'm hoping some information from the community can help me make a smart decision on a helmet I can use in my tunnel time that would transition well for my use after my AFF training.
I hope to hear from everybody your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Donteven] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

A full-face helmet should make a big difference with the "tunnel snot" problem (I know it helps me greatly). There are many different ones on the market - your best bet would be to try several to see which feels most comfortable on your head / face.

One caveat would be that in general, instructors don't tend to like to have students in full face helmets and the DZ will most likely ask you to use their helmets for your student jumps. I suspect that you will find less of a snot problem with the relatively short duration of freefall on a skydive, vs. the concentrated time you're spending in the tunnel. However, once you are through with your student jumps, the full face that you're using in the tunnel could then be used on skydives as well.

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for taking your time to talk to me!
I was just wondering if there was a helmet(s) that would adapt or are designed for free fly / tunnel time that will accept audibles when I eventually get to that stage.
God knows I'll need all the warning I can get when that time comes!

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Donteven] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Plenty of different helmets will fit the bill and take an audible.

A few brands to check out are

Cookie Composites - the G3 helmet is very popular.
Bonehead Composites has the Mamba and the Rev2
SkySystems has several models as well
The Square 1 Phantom X is also pretty popular.

There's others but that's what came to mind off the top of my head.

http://www.dropzone.com/..._Goggles/index.shtml

Check out the reviews here for more info as well.

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1305 views)
Shortcut

Any full face helmet made for skydiving will accept altimeters, and will be suitable for the tunnel. You can ask a tunnel instructor, or your instructor at the DZ, to introduce you to regulars who might let you try on their helmet to see how they fit.

It's dependent on head shape as well as size. Motorcycle helmets are bulkier and heavier than skydiving helmets, and won't really do.

Wendy P.

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the info.
I will get a size off the open face helmet I get to use at the tunnel, check these out in the mean time, Then come right back here to this community looking for someone wanting to sell the one they don't use any more but that will be just I'm looking for
Thank you!!!

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 23, 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wendy,
I'm not a big guy just 5'8" 145 so I can't imagine wearing a motorcycle helmetSmile
I was concerned with field of vision though and if there may be one that has the most (I'm old and the more the better!

Southern_Man  (C License)

Jan 23, 2014, 1:30 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Donteven wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info.
I will get a size off the open face helmet I get to use at the tunnel, check these out in the mean time,

Fit is very specific to the model, so you can't use the open face and assume a full face will be the same size. Also, does not just include the size of your melon but also the shape of your face, so some people find particular brands not suited to your head.

Try before you buy.

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 23, 2014, 2:20 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Southern_Man] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you
The tunnel here has some different helmets (open face) and perhaps as I get to meet people I will get to see some different styles and shapes of the helmets. I will definitely be talking to my coach next week about this to get his input.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Jan 24, 2014, 4:52 AM
Post #10 of 11 (919 views)
Shortcut

Donteven wrote:
Hi Wendy,
I'm not a big guy just 5'8" 145 so I can't imagine wearing a motorcycle helmetSmile
I was concerned with field of vision though and if there may be one that has the most (I'm old and the more the better!

You sir, are a fucking pup to a lot of skydivers on here. There are Tandem Instructors in their 50's - 70's. And your height/weight ratio is better then a lot of 30-somethings. You have a perfect body type for this sport. This sport is ALL about positive mental attitude. You gonna keep bitchin about being old; then go be old somewhere else because you can still have 20+ awesome years in this sport. Go find you a helmet. That is all. Smile

Donteven  (Student)

Jan 24, 2014, 7:30 AM
Post #11 of 11 (827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] A little help and advise on helmets please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good morning and thank you!
The too old part of my original post I meant to be humorous Smile I so look forward to being a part of and participating in a sport that I just never even thought about and now just wished I had found this earlier! Believe me I know there's so much more of life I will get to live and now I know the adventure I get to experience during that time!
JT
All my friends call me JT Smile

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)