inspector

Nov 2, 2013, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 210 (20451 views)
Shortcut
Airplane Collision - Skydive Superior - 2 November 2013 Can't Post

Found this on ASN -

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/s3207651.shtml

Seems everyone is OK.

(This post was edited by PhreeZone on Nov 4, 2013, 10:23 AM)

airdvr  (D 10977)

Nov 2, 2013, 7:30 PM
Post #2 of 210 (20363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [inspector] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

inspector wrote:
Found this on ASN -

http://www.wdio.com/...ories/s3207651.shtml
Seems everyone is OK.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 2, 2013, 7:36 PM
Post #3 of 210 (20340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdvr] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...rior--230364011.html

Divalent  (C 40494)

Nov 2, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 210 (20176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

stratostar wrote:
http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...rior--230364011.html

Superior, WI (NNCNOW.com) -- One person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries following a mid-air collision between two planes in Superior early Saturday evening.

Officials say the two planes were flying together with a group of nine skydivers for a tandem jump.

The planes hit 12,000 feet when one plane came over the top of the other and got caught up in it's turbulence, causing it to hit the plane.

The wings came off of the plane that was hit and it started on fire, disintegrating on it's way to the ground.

Skydivers in both planes were just getting ready to dive when the collision happened and were able to jump out of the planes and out of harm's way.

The pilot of the trail plane was able to land safely, while the pilot of the destroyed plane had to use an emergency parachute. That pilot suffered minor injuries from the impact of landing and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

Superior Skydive says they are suspending all flight operations at this time.

The FAA has been called and an investigation will be underway.

Written and posted to the web by Raeanna Marnati
rmarnati@kbjr.com

Just wow! Only minor injuries to the pilot that had to bail.

skygypsie  (B License)

Nov 2, 2013, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 210 (20164 views)
Shortcut

My current home dz for past 2 years...so grateful everyone survived...sad for family for this 1 of US's longest established dz / dzo Frown
~ Blessings & BlueSkies Soup ~

kuai43  (C License)

Nov 2, 2013, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 210 (20160 views)
Shortcut

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/282465

Quote:
Two small airplanes carrying skydivers collided over Superior at dusk Saturday, causing the lead plane to break into pieces, with debris falling across a swath of southern sections of town.

Only minor injuries were reported among the 11 people aboard the planes. The mid-air collision and its aftermath were seen by numerous witnesses in the Twin Ports.

“We were just kind of lucky that we were at the point where we were out of the airplane,” said Mike Robinson, a skydiving instructor who was one of four jumpers on the first plane, a Cessna 182. “If we’d been back in the rear of the airplane when they collided it might have been a little bit different.”

All nine of the skydivers aboard the two planes were already jumping or preparing to jump when the collision occurred at a height of 12,000 feet above the Superior Menard’s, Robinson said.

The four jumpers aboard the lead plane — the one that broke apart — landed without incident. The pilot of that plane used an emergency parachute to also jump safely, Robinson said, but he sustained some cuts and was taken to an area hospital for treatment.

Robinson didn’t know the pilot’s name but said he was from the Twin Cities and went by the nickname “Tweak.”

“He may need some stitches, but he’s not seriously hurt,” Robinson said in the Skydive Superior building as other skydivers quietly packed their gear.

The five jumpers aboard the second plane, a Cessna 185, also jumped while pilot Blake Wedan of Superior landed safely at the Superior Airport without incident in spite of damage to its propellers, Robinson said.

“The pilot did a great job being able to land it,” he said.

Both planes are owned by Skydive Superior.

All nine of the jumpers were veteran skydivers, Robinson said. Many, like him, are instructors at Skydive Superior.

“It requires a really strong comfort level to be able to do this,” said Robinson, who has been skydiving for 12 years.

He said the accident, which occurred just before 6 p.m., developed during an ordinary run with the second plane closely following the first.

“We don’t know for sure yet but what we think happened was the trail plane got caught in the wash of the wing and caused them to bump,” said Robinson, 64, of Gnesen Township.

Both wings came off the first plane, he said. The fuselage ended up in the Head of the Lakes Fairground, one wing landed off an airport runway and the other, which caught fire, may have landed in or near Nemadji Golf Course, he said.

Most of the skydivers landed in the area of the airport where they would normally land, Robinson said. The pilot was using an older, round parachute that he couldn’t steer

Everyone remained calm through the experience, he said, although he had never had such a close call. “And we’ve done these kinds of jumps hundreds of times.”

“It was more of a matter-of-fact thing,” Robinson said. “We were just kind of lucky that we were at the point where we were out of the airplane. If we’d been back in the rear of the airplane when they collided it might have been a little bit different.”

There were no reports of any injuries on the ground. The jumpers could see parts of the plane falling above them as they descended, Robinson said.

“We’re in free fall, so we’re falling about 120 miles an hour vertically down,” he said. “But then we open our parachutes, and now all the sudden they’re falling faster than we are. … Fortunately, everybody kept it together so they just avoided (the debris).”

Braydon Kurtz of Superior was duck hunting along the St. Louis River when he witnessed the collision.

“We heard a boom and looked up and there’s a fireball and smoke,” he said.

Kurtz said he saw two planes — “one was circling down and one was going down straight.”

Mike Plaunt was at his home in Superior’s Billings Park neighborhood, where he often watches skydivers and hears their planes. On Saturday evening, the engine noise he heard was unusual and drew his attention.

“I went outside and looked and could see six parachuters and a drop plane, and then there was something spiraling down. I couldn’t identify what it was ... it had a trail of smoke and I had never seen that before.”

There was a point of light with the smoke, and Plaunt’s initial thought was that perhaps one of the skydivers had dropped a flare.

Seconds later, Casey Trachsel of Superior was driving with relatives on Tower Avenue near the Head of the Lakes Fairgounds when “we heard a loud buzzing sound coming really close, and we saw a gray object torpedo into the ground.”

What fell from the sky didn’t look like a plane, she said, in the couple of seconds between when they heard the noise and saw the impact. After the fuselage hit the ground, she said, the front end of the plane was crushed, embedded into the earth.

“It doesn’t seem real,” she said about an hour after witnessing the crash. “I’m still kind of in shock.”

Superior Fire Department Battalion Chief Vern Johnson said fire crews initially dealt with numerous reports relayed from eyewitnesses. The first call came in at 6:05 p.m.

“We had all kinds of rabbits we were trying to herd out there,” he said. “We were all over tarnation out there in case anyone needed medical help or if something was burning."

It was the second incident this year involving Skydive Superior. Two skydivers were rescued after they landed off the shore of Lake Superior during the Lark O’ the Lake Festival in July.

Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Oklahoma City, said Saturday night the National Transportation Safety Board had been notified about Saturday’s incident.

“All aspects of safety involved in this will be investigated,” he said.

airdvr  (D 10977)

Nov 2, 2013, 9:03 PM
Post #7 of 210 (20094 views)
Shortcut

11 sets of bonus days

Liemberg  (Student)

Nov 3, 2013, 3:34 AM
Post #8 of 210 (19599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdvr] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

A hell of an 'end of season' party I suppose, once the initial shock is gone and everybody realizes that there's only one minor injury, planes can much easier be replaced than people and they all start to congratulate themselves with being alive!

Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer!Beer! for everyone!!!
SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

(Oh, well - except maybe the fact that there are several television crews lurking around the hangar. "Let's all behave, boys and girls!" Angelic )

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Nov 3, 2013, 5:05 AM
Post #9 of 210 (19397 views)
Shortcut

This is disturbing. Would like to hear the details of how jump planes already on jump run with jumpers climbing out collided. Would also like to know the formation flight experience of the pilots.

mr2mk1g  (C 103449)

Nov 3, 2013, 5:27 AM
Post #10 of 210 (19333 views)
Shortcut

Did they make the 10-way?

vpjr  (D 14158)

Nov 3, 2013, 5:46 AM
Post #12 of 210 (19252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

The best location for the trail plane is lower (further away) than most jumpers or pilots think.

demoknite  (D License)

Nov 3, 2013, 6:46 AM
Post #13 of 210 (19018 views)
Shortcut

Considering this was on jump run with people already on the steps, there has to be camera footage. Of course it wont be released until the FAA and insurance companies have seen it first (if ever). Glad everyone is ok.

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Nov 3, 2013, 7:23 AM
Post #14 of 210 (18877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [demoknite] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

demoknite wrote:
Considering this was on jump run with people already on the steps, there has to be camera footage. Of course it wont be released until the FAA and insurance companies have seen it first (if ever). Glad everyone is ok.

There's nothing to stop individual jumpers from releasing their footage, but it would likely come with a bit of scrutiny.

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Nov 3, 2013, 7:33 AM
Post #15 of 210 (18832 views)
Shortcut

chuckakers wrote:
This is disturbing. Would like to hear the details of how jump planes already on jump run with jumpers climbing out collided. Would also like to know the formation flight experience of the pilots.

I try to make as many jumps as possible up in "Soup". It's a great DZ, very safety conscious, with a strong history of safety! They have a great Vibe and welcome folks into their community. Much can be learned from this DZ, its owners, instructors, staff, and jumpers.

That being said; Yes Chuck, this incident can be a strong learning event for all of us. And, we can learn without the quick bashing. The owners, second generation DZO's, will be very straight forward and they will be more than cooperative in this learning process. I have great faith in this.

We’re very fortunate that this incident will be so well documented and discussed. First-hand accounts of the incident are not always available, as many of us up here are aware. So, let’s give them some time to organize and respond.

To all my friends in Soup…. Blue Skies!!!! We’ll see you all soon… thank God!

FB1609  (C 1409)

Nov 3, 2013, 8:45 AM
Post #17 of 210 (18525 views)
Shortcut

A very fortunate outcome, even more so that nobody was injured or killed by debris. IMO it would be the responsibility of the trailing pilot to stay clear enough to avoid any contact if turbulence or mechanical situations arose on jump run. Glad he's ok, but yeah...like to know more too.

(This post was edited by FB1609 on Nov 3, 2013, 8:46 AM)

airdvr  (D 10977)

Nov 3, 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #19 of 210 (18225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dqpacker] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't recall in thirty some years ever hearing about a formation load running into each other on jump run. Except for the very fortune of being on jump run, and pilots who were able to get out or land their bent machines we could easily be reading about another 11 aircraft incident fatalities.

(This post was edited by billvon on Nov 3, 2013, 2:48 PM)

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Nov 3, 2013, 1:27 PM
Post #20 of 210 (17842 views)
Shortcut

Another account...
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/...lanes-over-wisconsin
Smile

streaker  (A 47552)

Nov 3, 2013, 3:23 PM
Post #22 of 210 (17485 views)
Shortcut

This was a serious incident that easily could have produced
casualties both in the air and on the ground. Thank God that no one was seriously injured.

I've made multiple jumps from both those aircraft in the past and can assure those reading this forum that Skydive Superior emphasizes safety to all that jump at the DZ.

Like many of you reading this forum when I first heard of this incident I thought WTF?! How could this have happened?!Shocked

We will have to wait for the formal findings to be released to know for sure. Speculation is easy. Putting together the formal findings may be difficult.

Again, thank God everyone survived and no one on the ground was injured.

Hugs to my good friends at Skydive Superior........

cactusrose

Nov 3, 2013, 4:52 PM
Post #23 of 210 (17209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [streaker] Skydive Superior [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not the first time in skydiving history this happened. I guess it must have been about twenty years ago a Twin Otter and a Queen Air collided doing a formation jump at a drop zone which shall not be named. The pilot of the Queen Air which was supposed to be trailing, drifted out of position and got ahead of the Twin Otter. The underside of the tail came down hard on the nose of the Twin Otter just in front of the cockpit window. The Queen Air bounced off and went into a dive. I was in the cockpit of the Queen air next to the pilot. I cracked my head on the cockpit ceiling but we all got out and both planes landed safely. There was a video taken from the door of the Twin Otter which was spectacular, but it got deleted, the pilot of the Queen Air was run off the drop zone and no one told the Feds. Great story, very scary at the time, glad it ended without injury, and glad it has been twenty years before it happened again...

ChrisD  (No License)

Nov 3, 2013, 5:10 PM
Post #24 of 210 (17113 views)
Shortcut

I guess this anseweres the question about pilots wearing E rigs....

C

captain1976  (D 7183)

Nov 3, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #25 of 210 (17080 views)
Shortcut

Actually formation flying with paying passengers on board is illegal. I know everyone does it but I like to use "close proximity flying".

Federal Aviation Regulation 91.111 states; No person may operate an aircraft, carrying passengers for hire in formation flight.

On that violation these Pilots will surely loose their Certificates for awhile.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)