Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Wing Suit Flying:
ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit?

andy2

Apr 22, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #1 of 8 (906 views)
Shortcut
ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? Can't Post

This may be a newbie question, but how hard is it to run on the ground in a wingsuit? Say if you were trying to run away from someone at full speed, would the suit hinder your movements? Just curious, thanksSmile

kevin922  (D 26500)

Apr 22, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy2] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
This may be a newbie question, but how hard is it to run on the ground in a wingsuit? Say if you were trying to run away from someone at full speed, would the suit hinder your movements? Just curious, thanksSmile

If your leg wing is put on yes. You don't typically attach the leg until you get in the airplane (or just before) and you typically take the leg off after you are under canopy.

Though I have waddled out to the plane many-o-times.

So yes, when you see Tomb Raider.. it isn't possible :-)

(This post was edited by kevin922 on Apr 22, 2003, 6:52 PM)

indyz  (D 28525)

Apr 22, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #3 of 8 (876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kevin922] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
So yes, when you see Tomb Raider.. it isn't possible :-)
So much for my plan to offset the cost of a wingsuit by also using it as my vigilante crime fighting costume.Frown

Premier TomAiello  (D 22400)
Apr 23, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #4 of 8 (855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy2] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

As a follow-up, have any of you SF3 jumpers found that it's easier to walk/run in the SF3? (Rather than the SF1)?

Being able to run is quite important to me (for launching cliff flights, and occasionally landing low deployments), and this is one area in which the old Classic far outperformed my SF. I've heard that the SF3 has a larger leg wing, though, and I was wondering if anyone had found it easier to run in.

ManBird  (D 28001)

Apr 23, 2003, 7:08 AM
Post #5 of 8 (836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

One person who was jumping the SF1 at DeLand and now jumps the SF3 claims that he couldn't get up the steps to the Otter with a zipped up SF1, but has no problem walking around with the SF3. I'll try running in mine as soon as it comes in. In fact, I'll wear my Heelies and go rolling through downtown with a wingsuit on, shouting, "COMPACT GUITAR!". It'll be awesome.

andy2

Apr 23, 2003, 8:11 AM
Post #6 of 8 (826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ManBird] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

keep us posted on not only your ability to run but also the reactions you get from other pedestrians!!!

diablopilot  (D License)

Apr 23, 2003, 9:58 AM
Post #7 of 8 (809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] ability to run/walk in birdman wingsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Being able to run is quite important to me (for launching cliff flights, and occasionally landing low deployments), and this is one area in which the old Classic far outperformed my SF. I've heard that the SF3 has a larger leg wing, though, and I was wondering if anyone had found it easier to run in.

Tom, the wing is bigger than the SF1 however, does not afford nearly the stride of the classic 2 suits. If you want to see one, come on out to the DZ and you can looky at mine.

kevin922  (D 26500)

Apr 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
Post #8 of 8 (794 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
As a follow-up, have any of you SF3 jumpers found that it's easier to walk/run in the SF3? (Rather than the SF1)?

I have a GTI & SF3, yes the leg wing is enormous on the SF3 and so in theory it is easier to move however you're not going to go from a turtle to a hare.. you can simply waddle faster :)

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Wing Suit Flying

Search for (options)