Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:
Official advice for skydiver with a cochlear implant?

Eddles  (C License)

Oct 28, 2013, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Official advice for skydiver with a cochlear implant? Can't Post

Hi guys,

I've got a French friend who has a deaf friend with a cochlear implant who wants to skydive, but her skydiving centre told her she can't jump due to her having a cochlear implant, even though it's perfectly possible to skydive with a cochlear implant. She wants to find official documentation saying "Yes you can skydive" - I'm hoping someone on here has something?

I've found something from the British cochlear implant society but it's just a couple lines, so I'd like some more to reinforce the message.

Some advice would be appreciated!

ParaStyx  (Student)

Oct 28, 2013, 2:22 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eddles] Official advice for skydiver with a cochlear implant? [In reply to] Can't Post

Go to an otorhinolaryngologist.. (Throat, nose and ear doctor) and try to get it in a official statement, so you can prove to your DZ it is allowed and possible on safe terms..

PiLFy  (A License)

Oct 28, 2013, 6:45 PM
Post #3 of 6 (989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eddles] Official advice for skydiver with a cochlear implant? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here,

Others jump w/them without any problem. One Guy in the first thread has jumped w/a CI for >20yrs.

http://www.dropzone.com/...r%20implant;#4216715

http://www.dropzone.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

Eddles  (C License)

Oct 29, 2013, 5:41 AM
Post #4 of 6 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] Official advice for skydiver with a cochlear implant? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I know, I have a cochlear implant and I've got 350 jumps. The issue is that the friend's DZ wants official documentation.

Cheers everyone for advice, much appreciated ;-)

PiLFy  (A License)

Oct 29, 2013, 3:46 PM
Post #5 of 6 (881 views)
Shortcut

Oh,

I can't see a Manufacturer doing that. How about gathering as much proof as you can find, here. Then, present it to her ENT? Written authorization from her treating MD should placate them.

jonathan.newman  (D 30644)

Oct 29, 2013, 4:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (873 views)
Shortcut

Take a train to Spain. Come home with an A license. That'll show 'em.

Forums : Community : Skydivers with Disabilities

Search for (options)