Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot

Brodi3687  (C 41791)

Oct 7, 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4157 views)
Shortcut
Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot Can't Post

I've heard these 3 are pretty similar in characteristics. I've made about 50 jumps on a sabre 2 150 and loved the way it flew. If I wanted to be the first down, I was able to do so. If I was long out or just wanted to hang out then could. So I am wondering on everyone opinion with all three being that I am downsizing to the 150 range. Thanks

nutellaontoast  (A 55700)

Oct 7, 2013, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brodi3687] Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

I've flow all three when I was at varying skill levels. My knowledge is incomplete but I'd say that the Sabre2 is a little better than the Pilot and both are way better than the Safire2.

I felt the Safire2 had a funny distribution of where you got your flare power in the stroke. It seemed like all of the flare came between 3/4 and full brakes. I've heard other people say something similar.

I recall the Sabre2 being a little steeper and faster than the pilot with a bit more in the flare but I liked both.

All three open softly.

nad  (C 40317)

Oct 7, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3849 views)
Shortcut

There is already a thread on this...
http://www.dropzone.com/...vs.%20pilot;#4067520

degeneration  (C 106811)

Oct 8, 2013, 7:41 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3572 views)
Shortcut

Not jumped a Safire2, but preferred the Pilot to the Sabre2. I've jumped the Pilot in 150, 132, 124 and 117 sizes, and the Sabre2 in the 135. I didn't like the Sabre2 much, it just felt quite docile by comparison. I didn't do that many jumps on it.

The Pilot opened better, more reliabley on heading and without end cell closure. It also felt more responsive in toggle turns, which I liked.

The flare of the Pilot was much deeper in the toggle stroke than the Sabre2, but both had decent flare if flared well. And by that I mean if you do a "Sabre2 flare" on a Pilot, it won't feel like it flares well, and vice versa.

My old team mates were jumping all 3 at a training camp last year, and each of them picked the Pilot as their favourite.

But everyone is different.

suuz83  (B 716290)

Oct 10, 2013, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3251 views)
Shortcut

safire 2 :D

jumped the Sabre 2 for a while - flies great but Sabre 2's are known to swing around on opening and that's what mine did.

Safire 2 opens great - soft and always on heading (unless I do something weird). Also I find the toggle pressure lighter and more fun to fly. At almost 500 jumps I am still doing 'baby' approaches (not using my front risers basically because I have no interest in that - yet) and my Safire gives me with no wind a nice 'swoop' while flaring because it flies so flat.

I demoed the Pilot as well - I think it has a combination of both Sabre 2 and Safire 2 but found it a little more boring....

theplummeter  (C License)

Oct 10, 2013, 1:48 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suuz83] Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe try a Fusion as well. I just went from a Stiletto to a Fusion (was previously on a Safire2) and am loving the openings and flare. It's very similar to the Sabre2 and Safire2 but cheaper with a nice lineset and lighter front riser pressure.

grue  (D License)

Oct 10, 2013, 3:30 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theplummeter] Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

theplummeter wrote:
Maybe try a Fusion as well. I just went from a Stiletto to a Fusion (was previously on a Safire2) and am loving the openings and flare. It's very similar to the Sabre2 and Safire2 but cheaper with a nice lineset and lighter front riser pressure.

on my 2nd Fusion, love it.

Brodi3687  (C 41791)

Oct 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nad] Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

nad wrote:
There is already a thread on this...
http://www.dropzone.com/...vs.%20pilot;#4067520

Yeah I know there is already threads on it but I saw the date on them and was just thinking of getting different/newer opinions on the 3.

Ronsebag  (C License)

Oct 11, 2013, 7:57 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2508 views)
Shortcut

I have 100 jumps on sabre 2 150 loaded at1.2
And 200 jumps on Safire 2 129.

Safire 2 better opening, shorter recovery arc and toggle on flair are deeper so less left for slowing forward movement in other words it feels like more of a one step flair.
Sabre 2 end cells often close on opening and less staple to but long recovery arc " better for swooping" I felt it was easier to make a 2 step flair.

I like my Safire because I am more comfortable wing suiting with it the a sabre.
That's my experience with these 2 Canopies.

nad  (C 40317)

Oct 14, 2013, 6:47 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2085 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would demo a Safire 2 and the Pilot and make your comparison with the experience you have on the Sabre2. Other people opinions may be different than yours.

On that note, my opinion:
I've jumped a Sabre2@1.0 to 1.4 and Safire2@1.2.

- The Sabre2 openings are fine but I get the occasional off-heading openings, and these lessened as my body position during deployment had gotten better. I was able to get soft openings on both, but had more on heading openings with the Safire.
- Both canopies are fun to fly in the sky with toggles or risers.
- On normal straight in landings, I prefer Sabre2 over Safire2. The Sabre2 just had more range and was more forgiving. Like during light wind days, If I had flared too early with the Safire, I wouldn't have the bottom end like the Sabre2 to finish the flare.

Personally, I've chosen the Sabre2 because, like you said, it is fun to fly.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)