Forums: Skydiving: Tandem Skydiving:
Finally did my first jump!

Ray_Ray

Sep 30, 2013, 11:31 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Finally did my first jump! Can't Post

I finally jumped yesterday tandem at 13,500 ft and I must say its hard to describe the emotions that went through me. it was windy and my instructor was awesome. I suffer from motion sickness and the instructor did a bunch of turns that got me sick once I told him "easy on the turns I am getting sick he stopped and had be try and glide the chute down. It was awesome and I want to do it again as I think it will be better now that I know what to expect. I have taken Dramamine on boats and it has helped do you think by taking this again and jumping I will have a better experience? I want to do it again to see if this is a hobby I want to pursue.

SEREJumper  (D 29555)

Sep 30, 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ray_Ray] Finally did my first jump! [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread is a good one to read.

http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Bottom line, I would not take any meds, just have your instructor hold off on the crazy turns. I got sick on my first tandem, but once I started jumping with my own parachute, it all went away. Kind of like driving don;t get car sick because they are driving. Next time, be the driver!

flyingdrinkard  (B 39897)

Sep 30, 2013, 8:22 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Ray_Ray wrote:
I finally jumped yesterday tandem at 13,500 ft and I must say its hard to describe the emotions that went through me. it was windy and my instructor was awesome. I suffer from motion sickness and the instructor did a bunch of turns that got me sick once I told him "easy on the turns I am getting sick he stopped and had be try and glide the chute down. It was awesome and I want to do it again as I think it will be better now that I know what to expect. I have taken Dramamine on boats and it has helped do you think by taking this again and jumping I will have a better experience? I want to do it again to see if this is a hobby I want to pursue.

I also suffer from motion sickness, quite terribly I might add. One thing that has completely cured me of any motion sickness is ginger root capsules. You can get them at almost any health store, or CVS/Walgreens and I have not been motion sickness once after taking a few capsules. Make sure to wait 30 min- 1 hr after taking the capsules before doing anything that would cause motion sickness to make sure they kick in.

Oh and congrats on the tandem!

Ray_Ray

Oct 2, 2013, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyingdrinkard] Finally did my first jump! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank You for that, I am going to give it a shot. I cant wait to jump again.

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Oct 2, 2013, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Too bad the instructor didn't let you grab the toggles and steer the canopy. I let almost every student help me fly the canopy around and I think it really helps to hold off the motion sickness, putting them in control. It's safe to do, too, and I think they get more out of the jump that way. Smile

SEREJumper  (D 29555)

Oct 2, 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnMitchell] Finally did my first jump! [In reply to] Can't Post

JohnMitchell wrote:
Too bad the instructor didn't let you grab the toggles and steer the canopy...I think they get more out of the jump that way. Smile

+1

linebckr83  (D 30571)

Oct 3, 2013, 8:18 AM
Post #7 of 8 (946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnMitchell] Finally did my first jump! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that you mention that, the only 3 that I've had that got sick to the point of vomiting both requested to not fly the canopy. Interesting.

I always tell them it's safe, you can't mess it up, and I will help. But some people just don't want to and that's fine. It does seem to help with sickness though.

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Oct 3, 2013, 9:58 AM
Post #8 of 8 (902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [linebckr83] Finally did my first jump! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting.Smile

i never ask if they want to fly the canopy. I just tell 'em "Stick your hands in these loops the same way I've got them." Then I tell them that they are flying the canopy and, with my hands on theirs, guide them thru a couple of shallow turns.

Forums : Skydiving : Tandem Skydiving

Search for (options)