Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Snag Hazard!

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

unkulunkulu  (C License)

Sep 11, 2013, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 35 (7426 views)
Shortcut
Snag Hazard! Can't Post

I've just seen this someplace on the internet.



What do you think?
Attachments: 998794_10201909620884168_180256668_n.jpg (31.0 KB)


pchapman  (D 1014)

Sep 11, 2013, 4:57 AM
Post #2 of 35 (7187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

In case it is hard to recognize the blob on the helmet, that apppears to be a top mounted student radio.


DocPop  (C License)

Sep 11, 2013, 5:36 AM
Post #3 of 35 (7100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank f*%k it's not a GoPro!


BIGUN  (D 23385)

Sep 11, 2013, 6:27 AM
Post #4 of 35 (7018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if the radio is to be used; it should be mounted to the chest strap.
But, I also think students should be taught well enough to not need a radio, so what do I know.


FB1609  (C 1409)

Sep 11, 2013, 7:03 AM
Post #5 of 35 (6948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you embed the pic?


normiss  (D 28356)

Sep 11, 2013, 7:28 AM
Post #6 of 35 (6890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's flapping out of the bottom of the rig?


davelepka  (D 21448)

Sep 11, 2013, 7:35 AM
Post #7 of 35 (6866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [normiss] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

 
My guess is that it's a rubber band for stowing a static line.

What's going on in the jumpsuit dept? Looks like there's something bright pink over the balck/purple jumpsuit. See how you can see the collar of the jumpsuit under the bright pink thing? Is that a weight vest? Worn over top of a jumpsuit? On a student? On anyone for that matter, with handles and the like in the same area?


Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Moderator
Sep 11, 2013, 8:53 AM
Post #8 of 35 (6672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

>Looks like there's something bright pink over the balck/purple jumpsuit.

I'd guess it's the front of the jumpsuit. Small women get jumpsuits that are horrendous fits, because most DZ's don't carry a lot of small jumpsuits.


davelepka  (D 21448)

Sep 11, 2013, 9:11 AM
Post #9 of 35 (6644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

  Take another look, you can see what appears to be a purple collar exactly where a jumpsuit collar should be. You can also what appears to be a bright pink seam running up and down the chest area near the right MLW. Just looks odd to me for sure.


-ftp-

Sep 11, 2013, 9:17 AM
Post #10 of 35 (6626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

davelepka wrote:
Take another look, you can see what appears to be a purple collar exactly where a jumpsuit collar should be. You can also what appears to be a bright pink seam running up and down the chest area near the right MLW. Just looks odd to me for sure.

and it appears to be over the chest strap somehowUnsure


IJskonijn  (A License)

Sep 11, 2013, 9:24 AM
Post #11 of 35 (6593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-ftp-] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Playing devil's advocate: There's something to say for not putting a student radio on the chest strap, but rather on the helmet (either top or sidemounted). It makes it easier for the student to find their handles and only their handles in case of a cutaway (rather than giving a great big whack at the radio when in fact you desperately want that main gone)...


NeonLights  (D License)

Sep 11, 2013, 9:30 AM
Post #12 of 35 (6582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if you need someone to talk you down under canopy, then you should pick another sport.... And go suck at that. Maybe you can wear a radio in your football helmet and your coach can guide you like a puppet


hookitt  (D License)

Sep 11, 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #13 of 35 (6384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeonLights] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

NeonLights wrote:
I think if you need someone to talk you down under canopy, then you should pick another sport.... And go suck at that. Maybe you can wear a radio in your football helmet and your coach can guide you like a puppet

I think I know world champions that had radios on a jump or 2. They have their place. Back up devices aren't a bad thing.


GooniesKid

Sep 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #14 of 35 (6257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

unkulunkulu wrote:
I've just seen this someplace on the internet.



What do you think?

what do i think? she's pretty! Blush


ixlr82  (C 33491)

Sep 11, 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #15 of 35 (6038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dave, Bill,
I respect that you guys potentially see something weird going on where her handles are but the photo isn't likely to provide sufficient info on this...so about the radio. Is that a bad idea? I can see the shadow of the antennae so I know there is a big protrusion coming from that radio. Could a line snag there or would the lines just pull her head back and release. At first glance, this just seems like a really bad idea...for a student...who usually only has a couple of jumps. At least she's smiling!


DocPop  (C License)

Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #16 of 35 (5991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GooniesKid] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

GooniesKid wrote:
unkulunkulu wrote:
I've just seen this someplace on the internet.



What do you think?

what do i think? she's pretty! Blush

Your standards are as low as the information content of your posts.


ChrisD  (No License)

Sep 12, 2013, 7:58 AM
Post #17 of 35 (5796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DocPop] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

DocPop wrote:
GooniesKid wrote:
unkulunkulu wrote:
I've just seen this someplace on the internet.



What do you think?

what do i think? she's pretty! Blush

Your standards are as low as the information content of your posts.

I hate seeing clothing the same color as the cutaway pud and or loose and flapping near your handles as well...

Of course shit hanging off a helmet is a snag hazard....

"What do I think" was the question???


And my answere is also she appears to be having fun, which means also that she is unaware as most students are, of the position, albeit small, of the increased risks that more knowledgeable people have put her in.

Apparently some feel that they can get away with doing things to students that they wouldn't do to themselves. this is what I see....

C


And let he who is not guilty cast the first stone, (canuck) I think she is cute as well.... Smile


mattjw916  (D License)

Sep 12, 2013, 8:42 AM
Post #18 of 35 (5726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I hate seeing clothing the same color as the cutaway pud and or loose and flapping near your handles as well...

yeup... the black handles on a black MLW with a black jumpsuit or a black t-shirt untucked and blown up over them is something I see quite a lot on videos... but at least they look cool like a factory team! must... add... more... patches... Pirate

personally my handles are fluorescent and don't match any other color on my gear or various jumpsuits for this exact reason


gowlerk  (C 3196)

Sep 12, 2013, 9:31 AM
Post #19 of 35 (5678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattjw916] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have three thoughts. The first is that students are known to occasionally deploy in unstable positions and that there is a very real snag hazard there. My other thought is that we really don't have any context to the picture, we don't know how the radio is attached, or even if it really is a student.

Third one is I'm sure that won't stop anyone from tossing out uninformed opinions here. I'm pretty sure I could post just about any random picture of a skydive here and get many opinions on all the wrong things.


erippetoe

Sep 17, 2013, 7:05 PM
Post #20 of 35 (5057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

The pink thing is a weight vest. Ugly student jumpsuit + bright pink weight vest. =)


potatoman  (Student)

Sep 17, 2013, 9:24 PM
Post #21 of 35 (4856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unkulunkulu] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like the Reserve Pilot chute is also sticking out, but that might be a hard top.
Rubber Static line band..
Top mounted Radio
West seems over chest strap, an pink

Face: Priceless.

In offence- Maybe the radio is tied with an elastic.
Would I do this? No.


Createurself  (B License)

Sep 18, 2013, 4:45 AM
Post #22 of 35 (4756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookitt] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

FYI She is a student going through AFF.


Createurself  (B License)

Sep 18, 2013, 4:48 AM
Post #23 of 35 (4747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DocPop] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

You people disgust me and I pray to God that you aren't skydivers cause this is just disappointing to see you talk like this. If you only knew the person you talk about!


peedeepalmer  (D 32625)

Sep 19, 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #24 of 35 (4411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Createurself] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear a lot of good points in this forum regarding the snag hazard aspect of this picture. The problem is that many of the post are immature and ill informed.

This is my home dz. The girl in the picture Just graduated AFF. In regards to the jumpsuit, it is an ugly jumpsuit but thats all it is, no weightbelt, no shirt over, just a jumpsuit.

In regards to the radio, all mature suggestion are encouraged. I disagree with the idea that a student should not need a radio as a backup. The placement of the radio is another issue and I understand why some have issues with where it is located. I can say that it will be brought up this weekend.

Please remember that we were all newbies at one point and that there is a professional way to address issues.


ChrisD  (No License)

Sep 21, 2013, 8:12 AM
Post #25 of 35 (4029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Createurself] Snag Hazard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Createurself wrote:
You people disgust me and I pray to God that you aren't skydivers cause this is just disappointing to see you talk like this. If you only knew the person you talk about!


Knowing the person is irrelevant.


My concern is that so many jumpers of the new age are totally absorbed with how they look or how they are perceived and or how they are this or that....

the point is snag hazards have become rampant and accepted. This will and has caused a fatal.

Posting public domain pictures for discussion is and I certainly hope a great way to promote discussion and awareness. If you can't see this then I suggest you stay away from jumping because it seems your interests are misplaced and the rest of us now have more work to do, to prevent you from becoming a problem for the rest of us.

We should have a dedicated pocket for student radios, sewn into the jumpsuits located away from everything, someplace where it can be readily heard. So that there is no snag hazard and our chest strap is free and clear.


This is not too much to ask AND IS DISCUSTING TO ME THAT THE MAJORITY OF DZ'S WORLDWIDE CAN'T TAKE 20 MIN TO DO A LITTLE SEWING....

Fuck all of yas!!!! Smile Smile Smile

C

Angelic


Seriously.... a few min to sew on a outside pocket????? And absolutely no one gives a shit?????Crazy




Quote:
I hear a lot of good points in this forum regarding the snag hazard aspect of this picture. The problem is that many of the post are immature and ill informed.

This is my home dz. The girl in the picture Just graduated AFF. In regards to the jumpsuit, it is an ugly jumpsuit but thats all it is, no weightbelt, no shirt over, just a jumpsuit.

In regards to the radio, all mature suggestion are encouraged. I disagree with the idea that a student should not need a radio as a backup. The placement of the radio is another issue and I understand why some have issues with where it is located. I can say that it will be brought up this weekend.

Please remember that we were all newbies at one point and that there is a professional way to address issues.


HEY Pee wee: (peedeepalmer)

I see a fucking pink thing flappin all over the fuckin place, that's how you treat students????

There's enough confusion on this girls chest to get her killed and your ok with that????

"ILL INFORMED" ?????


We have 2 well documented 2012 incidents where risers have pulled on helmets and contributed to fatalities. And yo stick a fish-hook on a student and call others immature????? I don't get it?????


And while I'm at it:


" Tied with an elastic"

Take a new stow elastic and try to break it, somewhere around FIFTY LBS of force required!!!! ya that makes sense....Crazy


(This post was edited by ChrisD on Sep 21, 2013, 8:28 AM)


First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

 


Search for (options)