Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Looking for 2 weeks of coaching

 


b3ndech0

Sep 10, 2013, 1:38 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Looking for 2 weeks of coaching Can't Post

Hi Everybody

Im planing a small trip to california in january and i would like to do 2 weeks of skydiving there. I have a 100 jumps now and i can do a mostly stable sitfly. So what im looking for is a dropzone where i can get arround 50 coached-jumps (freefly) within 2 weeks.

Can you guys recommend any good dropzone in california where this is possible and where there are good coaches (elsinore is somehow sympathetic for me, are there any offers like this?)?

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Blue Skies

Fabian


ridebmxbikes  (C 40741)

Sep 10, 2013, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

For all that money youre gonna spend buying someone 50 jumps to give you some tips not to mention you're own jumps, you should just go to a tunnel. Its more cost effective and you'll learn more.


b3ndech0

Sep 10, 2013, 6:51 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ridebmxbikes] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

ridebmxbikes wrote:
For all that money youre gonna spend buying someone 50 jumps to give you some tips not to mention you're own jumps, you should just go to a tunnel. Its more cost effective and you'll learn more.

i had that thought as well. but here in europe one hour tunnel is more expensive than 50 jumps in the USA. The second thought i had is that i would have someone to jump with instead of doing solos all the time...

but you're right, mostelikely i should consider looking for a dropzone with a tunnel, i'll definitly would find some jumpbuddies...

so as far as i know Skydive Perris is the only dropzone with a tunnel in southern california. Anyone has some experience there?


(This post was edited by b3ndech0 on Sep 10, 2013, 6:55 AM)


scottd818  (C 41314)

Sep 10, 2013, 7:07 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Elsinore is definetly you best choice IMHO. they have awesome Load Organizers as well so you will beable to get some great coaching for free as well. If your interested pm me and i will give you a few names there of the coachs.


mattjw916  (D License)

Sep 10, 2013, 7:30 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ridebmxbikes] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

ridebmxbikes wrote:
For all that money youre gonna spend buying someone 50 jumps to give you some tips not to mention you're own jumps, you should just go to a tunnel. Its more cost effective and you'll learn more.
One thing to keep in mind about the tunnel is that you can't just jump directly to sitflying. You need to be stable and controlled on your belly and then your back (the recovery position when you cork out of a sit in the tunnel or the sky) before you start working on skills like walking on the net and then basic head-up flying.

If he's already decent in the air in the sit position (not corking or chronically backsliding/orbiting) it might be better to just get coach jumps in this case as the progression from little/no tunnel experience to head-up can take hours and hours of tunnel.

My $0.02 Wink


Premier Remster  (C License)

Sep 10, 2013, 7:50 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottd818] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
they have awesome Load Organizers as well so you will beable to get some great coaching for free as well.

I'm a LO (belly, but that's not the issue). Do not expect to get coaching from a LO. Yes, you may get tips, some feedback, and general help. But as a LO, my job is not coaching an individual. If you want good coaching, pay for it.

To the OP: Elsinore, Perris and good bets. Oceanside seems to be the hot freefly place in SoCal these days, so check with them too (they have minimum license requirements, but I'm not sure what they are).

Also, depending on your schedule/budget, consider mixing some tunnel and jump time.


b3ndech0

Sep 10, 2013, 8:44 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

mattjw916 wrote:
ridebmxbikes wrote:
For all that money youre gonna spend buying someone 50 jumps to give you some tips not to mention you're own jumps, you should just go to a tunnel. Its more cost effective and you'll learn more.
One thing to keep in mind about the tunnel is that you can't just jump directly to sitflying. You need to be stable and controlled on your belly and then your back (the recovery position when you cork out of a sit in the tunnel or the sky) before you start working on skills like walking on the net and then basic head-up flying.

If he's already decent in the air in the sit position (not corking or chronically backsliding/orbiting) it might be better to just get coach jumps in this case as the progression from little/no tunnel experience to head-up can take hours and hours of tunnel.

My $0.02 Wink

My sitfly is ok but not more. I tend to do some backslide. So most likely I would need to start all over again in the tunnel. I think I could afford 2 hours of tunnel. So im not quite sure whats a smarter idea, pay for a lot of coaching jumps or go 1-2 hours to the tunnel .

Remster wrote:
I'm a LO (belly, but that's not the issue). Do not expect to get coaching from a LO. Yes, you may get tips, some feedback, and general help. But as a LO, my job is not coaching an individual. If you want good coaching, pay for it.

To the OP: Elsinore, Perris and good bets. Oceanside seems to be the hot freefly place in SoCal these days, so check with them too (they have minimum license requirements, but I'm not sure what they are).

Also, depending on your schedule/budget, consider mixing some tunnel and jump time.
As stated above, I have 0 Tunnel time so im not sure if 1-2 hours is enough to get a good learning curve.
Oceanside? Which dropzone is this? Do you have a link?

Thanks for all the feedback guys 


mattjw916  (D License)

Sep 10, 2013, 8:46 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.tsunamiskydivers.com/skydive-in-oceanside/


Premier Remster  (C License)

Sep 10, 2013, 8:55 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I have 0 Tunnel time so im not sure if 1-2 hours is enough to get a good learning curve.

Regardless of your past skydiving experience, x minutes of tunnel will be your first x minutes of tunnel. If your goal is to sit/FF, expect your first few hours to be on your belly, then your back.. and maybe sitting after all that.

If you want to jump, jump! If you want to get some key technical goals, consider a mix. (I'm not a tunnel freak... I prefer jumping out of planes, but I still probably have 18-20 hours of tunnel, because, if you want to learn fast, it's the best way).


grimmie  (D 18890)

Sep 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Fabian,
We can sort out your lodging with breakfast included, pick you up from the airport and hook you up with world champion freeflyers. We'll also book some tunnel time at a reduced rate for you and sell a block of 50 jump tickets at our bulk rate. We have a very active freefly scene and you will have a lot of skilled folks to jump with. We also have small group skills camps every month hosted by David Gershfeld.
The view isn't too bad either.


Tsunami Skydivers


JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Sep 10, 2013, 1:56 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [b3ndech0] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Fabian,

Bryan Gile is a full-time coach. He lives in San Diego, which is just down the road from Oceanside; 65 kms from San Diego to Oceanside. Last year Bryan was on the world record head-down in Chicago.

You can contact Bryan at:

bryangile@gmail.com

I've known him since he was a brand new baby. Tongue

JerryBaumchen


b3ndech0

Sep 13, 2013, 1:15 AM
Post #12 of 12 (765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grimmie] Looking for 2 weeks of coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

grimmie wrote:
Hi Fabian,
We can sort out your lodging with breakfast included, pick you up from the airport and hook you up with world champion freeflyers. We'll also book some tunnel time at a reduced rate for you and sell a block of 50 jump tickets at our bulk rate. We have a very active freefly scene and you will have a lot of skilled folks to jump with. We also have small group skills camps every month hosted by David Gershfeld.
The view isn't too bad either.

Tsunami Skydivers

On your website it says your open from thursday to sunday. Is that correct? If yes that would be a dealbreaker... :/


(This post was edited by b3ndech0 on Sep 13, 2013, 1:40 AM)



Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

 


Search for (options)