Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Hardhousing crushing strength?

Hellis

Aug 27, 2013, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Hardhousing crushing strength? Can't Post

Anyone know how much it takes to crush/compress a hardhousing?

erdnarob  (D 364)

Aug 27, 2013, 1:47 PM
Post #2 of 3 (905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellis] Hardhousing crushing strength? [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, hard cable housings like the cutway cable housing ones, have less friction (about 50% less) than soft housings.

I tried to crush a hard cable housing using a piece of plywood of 47 mm wide and put 250 pounds on it, no flat mark and no damages at all. I tried again using a 19 mm wide piece of plywood and 250 pounds, same, no marks, no damages.
Using a 1 kg hammer and a medium strike, I succeded to flatten it but just a bit with a single strike. I conclude that those housings are way stronger than expected.

Hellis

Aug 27, 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #3 of 3 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [erdnarob] Hardhousing crushing strength? [In reply to] Can't Post

erdnarob wrote:
First of all, hard cable housings like the cutway cable housing ones, have less friction (about 50% less) than soft housings.

I tried to crush a hard cable housing using a piece of plywood of 47 mm wide and put 250 pounds on it, no flat mark and no damages at all. I tried again using a 19 mm wide piece of plywood and 250 pounds, same, no marks, no damages.
Using a 1 kg hammer and a medium strike, I succeded to flatten it but just a bit with a single strike. I conclude that those housings are way stronger than expected.

Wow.
That's impressive.
So they are stronger than I expected too.

Thank you for the info.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)