Forums: Skydiving: Events & Places to Jump:
Balloon jumps

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 21, 2013, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3688 views)
Shortcut
Balloon jumps Can't Post

It seems that balloon pilots want nothing to do with skydiving. At least in FL. I'm looking for a balloon or balloons to jump. Any info would be a great help. Many others are interested of course. Beer!

skydude89  (B 6129)

Aug 23, 2013, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerolite] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Eloy Arizona does them on a regular basis.

wicodefly  (B License)

Aug 23, 2013, 7:04 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3406 views)
Shortcut

I saw on SkyDiveMilwaukee.com's calendar that it says balloon jumps next Sat 8/31). I am already scheduled to be there three times next week including Sat. so I'll find out.

I am a total newbie and obviously they won't let me do it, but it sounds fun!

chemist  (A License)

Aug 23, 2013, 7:32 PM
Post #4 of 24 (3399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wicodefly] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a newb too. Wondering what's so hard about falling off a balloon? If someone could fill me in that would be great

ChuckMartin  (D License)

Aug 23, 2013, 9:04 PM
Post #5 of 24 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chemist] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not hard its fun. Also you get a real feel of falling.

BigMark  (D 17505)

Aug 24, 2013, 1:55 AM
Post #6 of 24 (3324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChuckMartin] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Flying a balloon is SO much hard work especially if you have to tarp, luckily for me I saved one from getting blown into some trees then did ground crew in exchange for jumps, did about 20 free jumps but holy crap it was a lot of work.

grue  (D License)

Aug 24, 2013, 4:40 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Aerolite wrote:
It seems that balloon pilots want nothing to do with skydiving. At least in FL. I'm looking for a balloon or balloons to jump. Any info would be a great help. Many others are interested of course. Beer!

Wrong side of the country, but all my balloon jumps have been at Perris.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Aug 24, 2013, 5:36 AM
Post #8 of 24 (3276 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
I'm a newb too. Wondering what's so hard about falling off a balloon? If someone could fill me in that would be great

It's not hard, it's just different. You get that funny feeling in your stomach (like you get from a roller coaster) that you don't get when you skydive because you're jumping from a stationary object. It's the same when you jump from a helicopter too. Definitely a must-do if you ever get the chance!

rbignon  (D 237927)

Aug 24, 2013, 5:40 AM
Post #9 of 24 (3274 views)
Shortcut

What part of Fl are you from? theres several balloon pilots that will take you if you ask in a professional manner. Just make it sound like you know what your doing and eventually you will find one.

are you willing to drive down to Miami Area ?

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Aug 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #10 of 24 (3176 views)
Shortcut

chemist wrote:

The primary reason that most DZs that operate balloon jumps want you to have at least a B license is that there's a high probability of landing out on a balloon jump. It's good to have people who've got a bit more experience and comfort under canopy so they can handle that situation more easily. Smile

ChrisD  (No License)

Aug 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Cost is a big factor, that propane ant cheep....

To a reasonable altitude that is, they have to factor the increased weight, propane is needed for the trip down as well....

C

Bring money.

Tink1717  (D 12524)

Aug 25, 2013, 4:15 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Contact Lake Wales. I did a few out of a balloon there a few years ago. They might still have contact info.

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 25, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #13 of 24 (2998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rbignon] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

I am currently in Fort Lauderdale. I found a pilot needing $200 each 3 jumpers max. A little much.

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 25, 2013, 4:46 PM
Post #14 of 24 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grue] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be in CA next week. It seems that the company in Temecula/ Perris is out of business.

grue  (D License)

Aug 25, 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #15 of 24 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Aerolite wrote:
I will be in CA next week. It seems that the company in Temecula/ Perris is out of business.

Lemme scrounge up the number for the person I used last. I'll get that to you as soon as I can.

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Aug 26, 2013, 8:22 AM
Post #16 of 24 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Aerolite wrote:

Did you get that info from the DZ? I was at Perris just last week and heard them announcing balloon jumps over the PA. I suppose it's possible that the company's gone under in that short a period of time, but it seems odd...

sarajo  (D License)

Aug 26, 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #17 of 24 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Contact balloon Bob up in Orlando - I tried to organize a jump for my bday a few years ago when I was still living there and think it was $100 each, but never happened because of weather and then I moved back north Frown A few people that still jump at Lake Wales have gone with him though since then. http://bobsballoons.com/

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 26, 2013, 8:55 PM
Post #18 of 24 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sarajo] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

he has stopped

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 26, 2013, 8:57 PM
Post #19 of 24 (2627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a different company. The number provided on the web was disconnected....I'll have to try again

Aerolite  (C License)

Aug 26, 2013, 9:13 PM
Post #20 of 24 (2620 views)
Shortcut

http://abovetheresthotairballooning.com/contact-above-the-rest-hot-air-ballooning-.htm

Yep, disconnected.

grue  (D License)

Aug 27, 2013, 8:57 PM
Post #21 of 24 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Aerolite wrote:
http://abovetheresthotairballooning.com/contact-above-the-rest-hot-air-ballooning-.htm

Yep, disconnected.

Wow yeah that's Dawn, that's who I was going to give you the # for.

cjsgrlsx3  (C 38727)

Sep 5, 2013, 6:33 PM
Post #22 of 24 (2172 views)
Shortcut

http://www.balloonskydive.com/

Try this site! Looks like they are operating there and seem to have jumps scheduled every weekend. Enjoy! My one and only balloon jump was in CA!

Aerolite  (C License)

Sep 12, 2013, 5:42 PM
Post #23 of 24 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cjsgrlsx3] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Found a guy in Perris...good deal...but never went. Funds went straight to the planes. Will definitely be back though. Love that place.

ChrisD  (No License)

Sep 20, 2013, 3:04 PM
Post #24 of 24 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cjsgrlsx3] Balloon jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

cjsgrlsx3 wrote:
http://www.balloonskydive.com/

Try this site! Looks like they are operating there and seem to have jumps scheduled every weekend. Enjoy! My one and only balloon jump was in CA!

Great post cjsqrlsx3 THANKS

Dan is alive and well, mostly sunset or sunrise. Generally need seven passengers, not all need to jump. Nice step on outside of gondola. (figure on about 100 bucks) apparently the price varies depending upon numbers...

This is probably one of the best values out theerree!!

Just spoke with one of the jumpers when they got down 9/18/2013 They were out of their minds SmileSmileSmile

C

I would put this on the bucket list as my personal opinion is that this activity is rare and declining across our country. Everyone has indicated they would travel to do this!!

It didn't seem possible to land out, FYI.

(This post was edited by ChrisD on Sep 20, 2013, 3:10 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Events & Places to Jump

Search for (options)