Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Off heading openings and line twist on tandems

 


flipexit  (C License)

Jul 10, 2013, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 16 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Off heading openings and line twist on tandems Can't Post

Hi all,
Im a new packer and have been packing off heading openings and line twists on tandem rigs. My sports gear (sabre 2 170 ) also opens off heading turning to the left. I have neat, tight and equal line stows. I leave the same amount of excess in the bottom of the container every time (approx the same length as the risers). please help as I just want to fix this problem asap. any ideas?
Unsure


flipexit  (C License)

Jul 10, 2013, 1:29 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

PS
I love my job and skydiving (its my life), but I don't want anyone to get hurt or killed because of my ....whatever. I also want to enjoy many years of fun jumping with my friends.
Cheers


nigel99  (D 1)

Jul 10, 2013, 2:12 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you making sure the risers are even? When the canopy is laid down the cascades on the brake lines (left and right sides) should be right next to each other.

Not sure if the description is clear?


flipexit  (C License)

Jul 10, 2013, 3:07 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nigel99] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

pretty sure the risers are even at the base of the reserve container. I will check the cascades on the lines on the next pack.
Thanks for your reply
;-)


nigel99  (D 1)

Jul 10, 2013, 4:38 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

flipexit wrote:
pretty sure the risers are even at the base of the reserve container. I will check the cascades on the lines on the next pack.
Thanks for your reply
;-)

I find the cascades easy to check as.they are right there. Some people use a pullup cord to tie the risers together through the three rings(I don't).


GooniesKid

Jul 10, 2013, 9:28 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

flipexit wrote:
Hi all,
Im a new packer and have been packing off heading openings and line twists on tandem rigs.
Unsure

It's a surprise your current DZ still has you employed packing their tandems. Tongue
All seriousness aside, have you checked with the lead packer and see if you can get advise from him/her? Perhaps there's a "secret" technique for packing those tandems?


(This post was edited by GooniesKid on Jul 10, 2013, 9:28 AM)


Tetrahedron

Jul 10, 2013, 9:59 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found that what you do with the nose of the canopy is what will give you the best, on heading openings.

I usually push the nose in about half way, or roll half and half into the center.

Do your best to keep it neat.


GooniesKid

Jul 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tetrahedron] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

Tetrahedron wrote:
I've found that what you do with the nose of the canopy is what will give you the best, on heading openings.

I usually push the nose in about half way, or roll half and half into the center.

Do your best to keep it neat.

Do you know of a technique where you dont have to roll the nose? For me I try to keep the rolls to a minimum just to keep the material in place.


evan85  (C 41367)

Jul 10, 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GooniesKid] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

GooniesKid wrote:
Do you know of a technique where you dont have to roll the nose? For me I try to keep the rolls to a minimum just to keep the material in place.

Are you thinking of the tail...? The standard pro pack does not contemplate rolling the nose at all.


GooniesKid

Jul 10, 2013, 1:43 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evan85] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

evan85 wrote:
GooniesKid wrote:
Do you know of a technique where you dont have to roll the nose? For me I try to keep the rolls to a minimum just to keep the material in place.

Are you thinking of the tail...? The standard pro pack does not contemplate rolling the nose at all.

sorry,yes, meant the tail


Tetrahedron

Jul 10, 2013, 3:23 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GooniesKid] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

GooniesKid wrote:
evan85 wrote:
GooniesKid wrote:
Do you know of a technique where you dont have to roll the nose? For me I try to keep the rolls to a minimum just to keep the material in place.

Are you thinking of the tail...? The standard pro pack does not contemplate rolling the nose at all.

sorry,yes, meant the tail

I hardly roll the tail on tandems. If I do, it's only high up at the lines.


zerospinskier  (D License)

Jul 11, 2013, 12:34 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

What method do you use to narrow the canopy after laying it down?
Are you making sure the lines go to the bottom of the tray and not tightly wrapping around the reserve tray corners?
Always make sure you aren't hooking any stray lines on a stow bite.

Shit will happen more often on tandems though. Lots of lines, lots of canopy, and a first time passenger. However, if you run into problems on your main too, assuming the lines are all in trim, you could be doing something weird. It should be easy to spot though. Have your had others watch your method?


nigel99  (D 1)

Jul 11, 2013, 1:21 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zerospinskier] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

zerospinskier wrote:
What method do you use to narrow the canopy after laying it down?
Are you making sure the lines go to the bottom of the tray and not tightly wrapping around the reserve tray corners?
Always make sure you aren't hooking any stray lines on a stow bite.

Shit will happen more often on tandems though. Lots of lines, lots of canopy, and a first time passenger. However, if you run into problems on your main too, assuming the lines are all in trim, you could be doing something weird. It should be easy to spot though. Have your had others watch your method?

I'm going on a hunch that it is a packing problem. Purely based on the fact that it is tandems. If TI's are bitching about it, then it is because his packs are different to other packers.

*Disclaimer, TI's are often whiny bitches anywayLaugh


dlcobbett  (C 3338)

Jul 11, 2013, 3:39 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

The comments about symetry are all valid, but I would be hesitant to adopt any suggested techniques in regards to packing the canopy without the individual having knowledge of the specific gear configuration and canopy type.

There are many types and sizes of tandem canopies out there with varying opening characteristics, and each will have "optimal" packing. If the other packers are not experiencing the same issues with their pack jobs, take the time to have an experienced one watch your pack job from flash to bang outside of normal operation hours (to prevent any interuption) and note anything that is inconsistant. Note the rig, and let the respective TI know in advance so they can pay particular attention to the opening. They should appreciate your efforts to improve your skills and be willing to provide the necessary feedback.

You'll probably find that it is something very simple and easy to modify in terms of your technique. I've had sililar issues with some of the newer packers at my DZ, and was always willing to help them improve. Ultimately it's in the best interest for everyone involved.


fanya  (D License)

Jul 11, 2013, 4:26 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure the risers are even.

Don't over roll the tail.

It could also be your bagging technique. Make sure the bulk is evenly distributed in the bag especially in the corners, don't "center" pack. I over cocooned for a long time trying to maintain control of the canopy, once I fixed that and distributed the canopy to the corners and filled the bag appropriately my pack jobs opened much more consistently.

Hope that helps.


flipexit  (C License)

Jul 17, 2013, 7:18 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flipexit] Off heading openings and line twist on tandems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the comments and help everyone. I have taken all on board and had a more experienced packer watch my pack jobs. Everything was fine but I was leaving the nose out to far and over rolling the tail. After this was fixed one of the grumpiest TM came in and asked who packed his rig. I shyly put up my hand, "best opening ever" he thought.
Thanks again all for your time.
oh yeah and my openings are a lot nicer too Smile



Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

 


Search for (options)