Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Canopy characteristics for HP skill building

Kristian_AUS  (B License)

Jul 5, 2013, 3:49 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2377 views)
Shortcut
Canopy characteristics for HP skill building Can't Post

This is likely to be an age old question here, but I haven't found a good answer explaining it.

I'm looking to downsize this year sometime. I haven't decided on my next canopy type yet and would like to choose something that would give me a good foundation to get into higher performance canopy flight if I decide to go down that road.

What sort of qualities should I be looking for in my next canopy? Something trimmed a little steeper than a Pilot, such as a Sabre 2? Longer recovery arc? I'm looking to stay with a semi-elliptical planform.

I know people typically say to test jump different canopies, but I'd prefer to base my decision on suitability for skill development and learn how to fly it.

Here's some background info -
Total jumps: ~600
Time in sport: 2 yrs
Current canopy: Pilot 168, ~400 jumps @ WL 1.22 -1.26
Next canopy: ? 150, which would put me at WL 1.39 - 1.43
Disciplines: FS, WS

(This post was edited by Kristian_AUS on Jul 5, 2013, 4:23 PM)

ClippedWings

Jul 5, 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kristian_AUS] Canopy characteristics for HP skill building [In reply to] Can't Post

Sabre2 is your absolute best option.

cube  (D License)

Jul 6, 2013, 1:29 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kristian_AUS] Canopy characteristics for HP skill building [In reply to] Can't Post

Kristian_AUS wrote:
What sort of qualities should I be looking for in my next canopy? Something trimmed a little steeper than a Pilot, such as a Sabre 2? Longer recovery arc? I'm looking to stay with a semi-elliptical planform.

Looks like you already know the answer. Get the Sabre 2.

I don't think you can get anything with longer recovery arc with "non elliptical" designs.

Flied great with 1.4-1.6 wl.

(This post was edited by cube on Jul 6, 2013, 1:30 AM)

Kristian_AUS  (B License)

Jul 6, 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ClippedWings] Canopy characteristics for HP skill building [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, the Sabre 2 has been the canopy that most people have recommended that I've spoken too. I was also considering a Lotus 2, from what I've heard it's basically a Sabre 2 with airlocks but with a bit more of a safety margin if you happen to run through some heavy turbulence.

hokierower  (B 36150)

Jul 9, 2013, 6:46 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1585 views)
Shortcut

Stick with the Sabre2. It's got a pretty decent recovery arc for its design and probably one of the longer ones in its "class" of canopies. You can learn a lot on one and downsize a lot as they do get "tiny".

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)