First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Jul 5, 2013, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 107 (12892 views)
Shortcut
Premature from a helicopter Can't Post

See it before it disappears Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnwEC2NcEg

Looks to be in the UK to me and I know there has been helicopter jumps here today.

Rig has adjustors on the Main Lift Web. I wonder if it is rental gear?

normiss  (D 28356)

Jul 5, 2013, 2:27 PM
Post #2 of 107 (12713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

Damn!

I was expecting the PC to snatch right out of his hands and head straight to the tail rotor!
ShockedShockedShocked

mr2mk1g  (C 103449)

Jul 5, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #3 of 107 (12658 views)
Shortcut

Wow.

Well done the guy with the camera! Spot on action frankly. George Medal? Could have got really nasty really quick.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jul 5, 2013, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 107 (12636 views)
Shortcut

>See it before it disappears

The person on the inside seems to be trying to pull the jumper's main risers off his rig before he exits. This might have ended badly since the rig had an RSL. Fortunately, the RSL was not completely extracted before the jumper exits, although the riser does release.

FB1609  (C 1409)

Jul 5, 2013, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 107 (12302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

^ I was thinking the same, pretty scary. Glad it all worked out. I'm so used to planes that it seemed scarier maybe.

darkwing  (D 4164)

Jul 5, 2013, 7:07 PM
Post #6 of 107 (12165 views)
Shortcut

Ultimately nobody got hurt, so good on them. My first thought is where were the hook knives?

ChrisD  (No License)

Jul 5, 2013, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 107 (12129 views)
Shortcut

What if he was last out?

C

cube  (D License)

Jul 5, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #8 of 107 (11999 views)
Shortcut

Wow. Good job from the camera guy at solving the problem and acting fast!

grue  (D License)

Jul 5, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 107 (11997 views)
Shortcut

How many times do people have to be told to protect their pins, and keep the closing loop adjusted.

Jesus.

milehigheric  (C License)

Jul 5, 2013, 9:49 PM
Post #10 of 107 (11856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grue] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky he grabbed the PC before the canopy extracted. I'm not sure how far the tail is from the door but I would assume with full line stretch it would make it, not to mention wraping the jumper in the step.

As a personal learning question - would you still jump in this situation? Disconnect RSL and get the main off your back obviously, but would it not have been safer (and cheaper) to climb back in?

format  (B 15348)

Jul 6, 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #11 of 107 (11697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milehigheric] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

Luckiest part seem to be heli's low horizontal speed.. and rotor downpush helps too.
If they were in airplane, even slow one, things would be much harder I recon

jono  (C 298258)

Jul 6, 2013, 3:04 AM
Post #12 of 107 (11571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grue] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

grue wrote:
How many times do people have to be told to protect their pins, and keep the closing loop adjusted.

Jesus.

I hear what you are saying but I reckon it was a premature PC deployment. You get a glimpse of the red bridle trailing before you see the d bag. Dude was not very focused. Either way a gear check before climb out would have prevented this and he still had his visor up. Crazy

(This post was edited by jono on Jul 6, 2013, 3:41 AM)

jono  (C 298258)

Jul 6, 2013, 3:12 AM
Post #13 of 107 (11559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [format] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

format wrote:
Luckiest part seem to be heli's low horizontal speed.. and rotor downpush helps too.
If they were in airplane, even slow one, things would be much harder I recon

Never been in a heli let alone had the pleasure of jumping from one.Frown
Is it normal for them to have any forward speed on "jump run"?? Would it have made any difference in trying to haul that mess in if the pilot held it stationary or even went backwards??

grue  (D License)

Jul 6, 2013, 3:21 AM
Post #14 of 107 (11541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jono] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

jono wrote:
grue wrote:

Jesus.

I hear what you are saying but I reckon it was a premature PC deployment. You get a glimpse of the red bridle trailing before you see the d bag. Dude was not very focused. A gear check before climb out would have prevented this and he still had his visor up.

Yeah you're right

ChrisHoward  (D 28490)

Jul 6, 2013, 6:16 AM
Post #15 of 107 (11297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jono] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

jono wrote:
I hear what you are saying but I reckon it was a premature PC deployment.

I initially thought the same but after watching it again it looks like you can see the DBag most of the way to line stretch before the PC appears, so either the jumper deployed the PC after the out of sequence opening or the force of the horseshoe pulled the PC from the BOC.
I think that if the PC deployed first it would A) be visible in the first screen shot of the DBag and B) it would have had that DBag off the canopy much faster than what is apparent in the video.

Edit to Add: Around 3-4 seconds you can just make out the black DBag hanging below the skid (it is blocked from view most of the time by the skid) and the red bridle stretched tight back towards the jumper. It's nearly another 5 seconds before the PC appears in the video.

(This post was edited by ChrisHoward on Jul 6, 2013, 6:40 AM)

HUPRA  (D 5203)

Jul 6, 2013, 7:01 AM
Post #16 of 107 (11199 views)
Shortcut

billvon wrote:
>See it before it disappears

The person on the inside seems to be trying to pull the jumper's main risers off his rig before he exits. This might have ended badly since the rig had an RSL. Fortunately, the RSL was not completely extracted before the jumper exits, although the riser does release.

I was trying to get a hold of the riser before he went as I was scared the detached risers would be heading backwards towards the tail rotor. In hindsight I maybe should have waited for him to detach his RSL but didnt really fancy having him standing out on the skid trying to undo it.

HUPRA  (D 5203)

Jul 6, 2013, 7:03 AM
Post #17 of 107 (11191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisHoward] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

D-bag came out first; pin may have been knocked out when he tried to do his seatbelt up behind his rig before getting out.

ChrisHoward  (D 28490)

Jul 6, 2013, 7:32 AM
Post #18 of 107 (11137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HUPRA] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

HUPRA wrote:
I was trying to get a hold of the riser before he went as I was scared the detached risers would be heading backwards towards the tail rotor. In hindsight I maybe should have waited for him to detach his RSL but didnt really fancy having him standing out on the skid trying to undo it.

I think you did a reasonable job given the circumstances. Sure there may have been a better way of doing things but that's hindsight for ya. Kudos for continuing to think and attempting to work through a scary situation. I would have bailed out as soon as I seen his DBag Smile

P.S. However, What height did you finally climb back into the chopper? That looked somewhat low.
P.P.S. I would have also hooked knifed some of that shit.

ChrisHoward  (D 28490)

Jul 6, 2013, 7:35 AM
Post #19 of 107 (11129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HUPRA] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

HUPRA wrote:
D-bag came out first; pin may have been knocked out when he tried to do his seatbelt up behind his rig before getting out.

If the loop is too long then sitting with your rig against the back of the chair could also compress the main container enough for the pin to simply fall out.

Skydog0223  (D 19276)

Jul 6, 2013, 7:42 AM
Post #20 of 107 (11116 views)
Shortcut

When I saw the RSL it made my stomach churn, I saw the bag deploy on climbout, dislodged pin/poor packjob/loose closing loop? Personally I would've jumped with my hand on the cutaway knowing I had an RSL then pulled, his reserve could've wrapped around the skid or entangled with the main or... Anyaway it all worked out in the end but just goes to show no matter how safe we are there will always be the unexpected to test us!

JohnnyMarko

Jul 6, 2013, 8:14 AM
Post #21 of 107 (11048 views)
Shortcut

What, if anything, was communicated to the pilot?

Bodhisattva420  (B 35178)

Jul 6, 2013, 9:11 AM
Post #22 of 107 (10921 views)
Shortcut

I think they did a great job! Might want to make a tighter closing loop in the future tho :\

BigMikeH77  (B 39490)

Jul 6, 2013, 9:39 AM
Post #23 of 107 (10879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnnyMarko] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

JohnnyMarko wrote:

I heard "Hey! Fuck! FUCKING GET THIS SHITHEAD DOWN!"

dgw  (C License)

Jul 6, 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #24 of 107 (10779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigMikeH77] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

BigMikeH77 wrote:
JohnnyMarko wrote:

I heard "Hey! Fuck! FUCKING GET THIS SHITHEAD DOWN!"

You misheard. He said, 'Get this shit in now'.

HUPRA  (D 5203)

Jul 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #25 of 107 (10779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisHoward] Premature from a helicopter [In reply to] Can't Post

ChrisHoward wrote:
HUPRA wrote:

I think you did a reasonable job given the circumstances. Sure there may have been a better way of doing things but that's hindsight for ya. Kudos for continuing to think and attempting to work through a scary situation. I would have bailed out as soon as I seen his DBag Smile

P.S. However, What height did you finally climb back into the chopper? That looked somewhat low.
P.P.S. I would have also hooked knifed some of that shit.

I got back in just above 2000ft, I did consider cutting the last part but as it seemed pretty secure I left it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)