Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Pinhole in the canopy

devildog  (C 40302)

Jun 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Pinhole in the canopy Can't Post

So I was repacking at the house and found a pinhole in the top skin of my center cell (see attachment). It's tiny. I had to look for it pretty hard again when I went to get my iPhone and a penny to take a picture of it. Is this something I can just keep an eye on or does it need a little patch now? Or...? If it can wait, I'd rather just keep an eye on it and then when I get my next repack and get a boost added to my wings container, I'll take care of it then (about 4 months / ~70 jumps given my current rate). But I'd rather avoid a blow out too. Not sure how common these things are.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by devildog on Jun 30, 2013, 12:15 PM)
Attachments: pinholetopskin.JPG (234 KB)

cube  (D License)

Jun 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [devildog] Pinhole in the canopy [In reply to] Can't Post

that's so small i'd just keep an eye for it in case it starts to get bigger. You can mark it like 1 or 2 squares away from the edges with some kind of ink, makes it easier to find.

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Jun 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2039 views)
Shortcut

Haha. Nothing to worry about. You will put in many times more needle holes trying to patch it. This is contained within one rips top square.

devildog  (C 40302)

Jun 30, 2013, 2:11 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] Pinhole in the canopy [In reply to] Can't Post

likestojump wrote:
Haha. Nothing to worry about. You will put in many times more needle holes trying to patch it. This is contained within one rips top square.
Thanks! Figured it would probably amount to nothing, but I'd rather ask then have someone say something later like "Why didn't you..."

hangdiver  (D License)

Jun 30, 2013, 7:37 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1617 views)
Shortcut

This is what kind off holes PD says their reserves can have and still be airworthy...

Quote:
Repairs are broken into three categories:
Minor repairs:These may be done by a senior rigger or your countrys equivalent.

Major repairs:
These require a Master Rigger or your countrys equivalent.

Factory repairs:
These repairs may be performed only by the Performance Designs factory. These
include all repairs that are not specifically listed as minor or major repairs. Small snags and holes
smaller than 1/8 inch square (one ripstop box) located further than 10 inches (25.4cm) from the
closest line attachment may be left unrepaired as long as there are no more than one in any 10-
inch (25.4cm) circle. A maximum of three such snags per cell are allowed. Ripstop tape is not
authorized for use on Performance Designs reserves. If the damage is enough to warrant a re
pair, a sewn repair must be done

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve_manual.pdf

hangdiver

DcloudZ  (B 37320)

Jul 2, 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cube] Pinhole in the canopy [In reply to] Can't Post

cube wrote:
that's so small i'd just keep an eye for it in case it starts to get bigger. You can mark it like 1 or 2 squares away from the edges with some kind of ink, makes it easier to find.

I also like putting chemicals all over my canopyBlush

cube  (D License)

Jul 2, 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #7 of 8 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DcloudZ] Pinhole in the canopy [In reply to] Can't Post

DcloudZ wrote:
cube wrote:

I wasn't suggesting you to use acid to do that.. :)

phoenixlpr  (D 3049)

Jul 3, 2013, 1:43 AM
Post #8 of 8 (792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DcloudZ] Pinhole in the canopy [In reply to] Can't Post

DcloudZ wrote:
cube wrote:

There is a thing called textile marker.....Wink

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)