Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive.

 


Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 25, 2013, 9:28 AM
Post #1 of 19 (3856 views)
Shortcut
It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTXiYohr6lw


hypoxic_fool  (A 64188)

Jun 25, 2013, 9:34 AM
Post #2 of 19 (3826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

ill do my best to avoid that manouever on my sabre 170..


uberchris  (A License)

Jun 25, 2013, 1:41 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

lesson to be learned: if youre ready for flying a camera, have a damned cutaway system on it?


Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 25, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [uberchris] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

yep.
Our DZ requires cutaways on helmets with a camera mounted.
It's kinda dumb to not have one, IMO.


strife

Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 AM
Post #5 of 19 (3381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah that was intense.


Premier rwieder  (C 32349)

Jun 26, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

That has to be in the top 5 of "Stupid Human Tricks" I've ever seen.


Zlew  (D 21616)

Jun 26, 2013, 2:51 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwieder] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

An infinity loop or the snag?

Scary for sure...risky for sure...but also kinda awesome! I think everyone who likes canopy flight and had that first time where they looked at the horizon over the tail of their canopy has thought about how cool it would be to actually go over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr13xRIPfvk


Premier rwieder  (C 32349)

Jun 27, 2013, 2:38 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zlew] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
An infinity loop or the snag?

None of that. The worst mistake the jumper made was not having a cut-away system on his helmut. Then going under water?? What would have been the out come if no boat on the surface dragging him out?? Not very smart IMHO.


Zlew  (D 21616)

Jun 27, 2013, 3:33 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwieder] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

Things are a little different in the paragliding world. They usually do that type of acro over water on purpose (and usually have support for it). They even have classes you can take where you induce all sorts of malfunctions, and on one flight you actually dump the rescue and land in the water.

The wings are bigger, and even when they collapse usually are pretty low speed compared to what we are used to with skydiving wings. Also, they never cutaway (well, the majority do not) and they use round rescues (reserves) that don't really care if there is another canopy out or not and add even more drag.

Not sure their culture is into the cutaway on the helmets just yet. Since they usually do not chop their mains, it isn't quite as urgent as it is with skydiving snags. I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to have cutaways on their camera helmets at all...but the circumstances are a little different there than in skydiving.


Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 27, 2013, 5:46 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zlew] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

Zlew wrote:

Not sure their culture is into the cutaway on the helmets just yet. Since they usually do not chop their mains, it isn't quite as urgent as it is with skydiving snags. I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to have cutaways on their camera helmets at all...but the circumstances are a little different there than in skydiving.

Lines.
Helmet.
Camera.
Snag.
Loss of altitude.
Hard dirt (usually)

May be a different culture, but from speaking with a few friends that are avid paragliders and PG instructors in Utah, each of them has indicated how small format cameras are breeding avoidable incidents and each of them have talked about why they generally recommend nothing be on the head. Chest, knee, foot, even a gopole, but not the head.
However, I haven't flown a paraglider for years.


michalm21  (Student)

Jun 28, 2013, 6:31 AM
Post #11 of 19 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

DSE wrote:
yep.
Our DZ requires cutaways on helmets with a camera mounted.
It's kinda dumb to not have one, IMO.

So nobody ever jumps full face helmets (G3, Z1, Factory Diver) with gopros in Elsinore like it is popular on every dropzone I've ever seen so far? No freeflyers?


Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 28, 2013, 7:30 AM
Post #12 of 19 (2695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michalm21] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

of course they do. And if they have sub 200 jumps, they have to have a cutaway. So, they can either get a cutaway for their full face helmet, or they can wear a different helmet, or they can forego their camera until they do.


Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Moderator
Jun 28, 2013, 8:39 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ok. It looks like the stick mount gave way like everyone thinks it will Tongue


Shredex

Jun 28, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.chutingstar.com/...-one-gopro-top-mount


jono  (C 298258)

Jun 29, 2013, 3:22 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

DSE wrote:
of course they do. And if they have sub 200 jumps, they have to have a cutaway. So, they can either get a cutaway for their full face helmet, or they can wear a different helmet, or they can forego their camera until they do.

Not picking here but a bit confused. Are you saying you can jump a camera with less than 200 jumps IF you have a helmet cutaway for your full face but if you have an open face you don't need a cutaway and after 200 jumps your DZ doesn't require you to have a cutaway for either??


speedy

Jul 3, 2013, 5:23 AM
Post #16 of 19 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shredex] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post


Nice mounting but it does not eliminate the need for a cutaway system on the helmet.


Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 3, 2013, 7:04 AM
Post #17 of 19 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jono] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

jono wrote:
DSE wrote:
of course they do. And if they have sub 200 jumps, they have to have a cutaway. So, they can either get a cutaway for their full face helmet, or they can wear a different helmet, or they can forego their camera until they do.

Not picking here but a bit confused. Are you saying you can jump a camera with less than 200 jumps IF you have a helmet cutaway for your full face but if you have an open face you don't need a cutaway and after 200 jumps your DZ doesn't require you to have a cutaway for either??

Cutaways are required on all helmets prior to 200 jumps. This DZ has a policy that
*if you have 100 jumps
AND
you have had training/briefing time with the S&TA or chief instructors (not just a 'yeah, looks OK, and do you know XXX?)
AND
your helmet has a cutaway system

Then you'll likely be allowed to jump a single, small format camera.


michalm21  (Student)

Jul 3, 2013, 8:18 AM
Post #18 of 19 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

DSE wrote:
jono wrote:
DSE wrote:
of course they do. And if they have sub 200 jumps, they have to have a cutaway. So, they can either get a cutaway for their full face helmet, or they can wear a different helmet, or they can forego their camera until they do.

Not picking here but a bit confused. Are you saying you can jump a camera with less than 200 jumps IF you have a helmet cutaway for your full face but if you have an open face you don't need a cutaway and after 200 jumps your DZ doesn't require you to have a cutaway for either??

Cutaways are required on all helmets prior to 200 jumps. This DZ has a policy that
*if you have 100 jumps
AND
you have had training/briefing time with the S&TA or chief instructors (not just a 'yeah, looks OK, and do you know XXX?)
AND
your helmet has a cutaway system

Then you'll likely be allowed to jump a single, small format camera.


Ahh, that makes sense. At first it read as if nobody was allowed to jump without a cutaway system.

So, should I get gopro3 or wait for an hardware update?


hillson  (D 33134)

Jul 9, 2013, 3:13 PM
Post #19 of 19 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] It's just paragliding, it'll never happen in a skydive. [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume there is at least *one* sub 200 out ther using a G2/G3.

What cutaway system is being used (a link would be nice, too).



Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

 


Search for (options)