Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Icarus "the Nano"

 


Maksimsf  (B 37743)

May 28, 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 16 (5203 views)
Shortcut
Icarus "the Nano" Can't Post

Hey guys, seems like Icarus got the name for their new low bulk reserve that called "Nano". I was wondering if anyone can convince me buying "Nano" over "Optimum"?


Zlew  (D 21616)

May 29, 2013, 6:58 AM
Post #2 of 16 (5025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maksimsf] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure about that, but can we start up the who stole/copied what from who argument again? :) just kidding


Quagmirian  (A 110392)

May 29, 2013, 8:39 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maksimsf] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have any links or any other info? I can't seem to find any information on this new reserve.


Ron

May 29, 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maksimsf] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Hey guys, seems like Icarus got the name for their new low bulk reserve that called "Nano". I was wondering if anyone can convince me buying "Nano" over "Optimum"?

When it comes to life saving equipment.... I am not an early adopter.

For example the Raven Dash-M reserve issue of canopies made before 1999. It was not until 2001 that a problem was identified and an SB released.

I wait 3 years on an AAD, or reserve to be on the market before I buy one. After 3 years, and issues should have been discovered.

Things that are used on EVERY jump, like mains, I'll look at in a year.... Anyone remember the Nova? And iirc the original Safire? At any rate not all new skydiving toys are advancements.... And even when they are, they often take a year or so to change thinking so that they are safe... Such as when the CYPRES came out and people were having a bunch of two outs since they were still pulling at 2 with Stiletto's


ctrph8  (D License)

Aug 1, 2013, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maksimsf] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Maksimsf wrote:
Hey guys, seems like Icarus got the name for their new low bulk reserve that called "Nano". I was wondering if anyone can convince me buying "Nano" over "Optimum"?



Got a call from the good folks down at Chuting Star. They are getting some in in about a month. It is their new low bulk, answer to the Optimum... which I welcome. I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs. She said the sizes would corolate almost exactly with the Optimum sizes and the volume would be similar. If they are smart they will come in a little cheaper than the Optimum.


Deyan  (D 322)

Aug 1, 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ctrph8] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs.

The same counts for Icarus. Their reserve need to be re certified after 40 repacks as well. I don't know if they will keep this requirement for the Nano as well, but I will not be surprised if they do.


piisfish

Aug 1, 2013, 3:37 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deyan] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Deyan wrote:
Quote:
I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs.

The same counts for Icarus. Their reserve need to be re certified after 40 repacks as well. I don't know if they will keep this requirement for the Nano as well, but I will not be surprised if they do.
which would be, without an excessive use of the reserve 8 (once every 2 years, with the actual US repack cycle) , around 15 years after purchase... yeah, that's too feckin' restrictive CrazyCrazyCrazy


skytribe  (D 9403)

Aug 1, 2013, 4:32 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problems with a recertification program but has PD or another manufacturer that requires recertification of there equipment after a given time provided details on the failure rate (or equipment that they will not recertify).

It would be interesting to see details to see how the gear is aging.


voilsb  (D 30581)

Aug 22, 2013, 3:20 PM
Post #9 of 16 (3305 views)
Shortcut
Re: Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Icarus announced a release date of Sept 1st. Any had an opportunity to handle one of these or have information on them?


ctrph8  (D License)

Aug 22, 2013, 7:29 PM
Post #10 of 16 (3175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [voilsb] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/...d=123&Itemid=672



https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=2&theater





voilsb wrote:
Icarus announced a release date of Sept 1st. Any had an opportunity to handle one of these or have information on them?


voilsb  (D 30581)

Aug 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 16 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ctrph8] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Now what I'm curious about, is to compare similar pack volume (since there's no "the same") reserves for airspeed with brakes stowed. Example: PR143, OP160, NANO160?, Speed 170?, all with a 200lb suspended weight ... what are their relative airpseeds? Which one will pound you in hardest unconscious? Which one will pound you in least hard?


shropshire  (C License)

Aug 23, 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [voilsb] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

voilsb wrote:
Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Now what I'm curious about, is to compare similar pack volume (since there's no "the same") reserves for airspeed with brakes stowed. Example: PR143, OP160, NANO160?, Speed 170?, all with a 200lb suspended weight ... what are their relative airpseeds? Which one will pound you in hardest unconscious? Which one will pound you in least hard?

Which one OPENS fastest (snivels least)?


ctrph8  (D License)

Aug 23, 2013, 2:23 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shropshire] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing a PDR 143 if I had to choose from that list. I think the others are made to open a little more reasonably. This is all coming from the guy who has exactly zero jumps on any of these canopies but I own two of them and am looking for a Nano.



shropshire wrote:
voilsb wrote:
Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Now what I'm curious about, is to compare similar pack volume (since there's no "the same") reserves for airspeed with brakes stowed. Example: PR143, OP160, NANO160?, Speed 170?, all with a 200lb suspended weight ... what are their relative airpseeds? Which one will pound you in hardest unconscious? Which one will pound you in least hard?

Which one OPENS fastest (snivels least)?


shropshire  (C License)

Aug 23, 2013, 2:29 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ctrph8] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

cheers mate.


I'm in the market for a new or even 'new-2-me' reserve as my Swift is 25 years old next month!!

Currently I'd like an Optimum - but not sure .. need to make a purchase before my next repack.


manchuso  (C 15)

Aug 27, 2013, 4:58 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shropshire] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

I jumped a Nano 126 at Lost Prairie (as a main) and I can say the opening was brisk. Nice flying and a surprisingly strong flare. Nice!

Happy landings, Rafael


shropshire  (C License)

Aug 27, 2013, 5:45 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [manchuso] Icarus "the Nano" [In reply to] Can't Post

cheers



Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

 


Search for (options)