Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Slider Question

3fLiEr

Sep 27, 2001, 6:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (808 views)
Shortcut
Slider Question Can't Post

I have a collapsable slider with a pull toggle in the middle that gathers the slider to this point (i am sure you understand that!?!?) I have a method for packing for a quick opening which by all accounts is generally confortable without too much deviation from heading but sometimes proves to be a little rocky during pressurisation - basically it opens very quickly but seems to be in a mushy state before full pressurisation for too long - rocking backward and forward. My question is if I were to perhaps leave the slider partially collapsed - (thats partially! I am fully aware of the dangers of an opening with a collapsed slider) would this added air flow help with the more smooth pressurisation of the canopy. Would there be other factors to take into account as the slider is not now a uniform shape - as it is slightly bunched toward the middle - would this hamper the opening and perhaps increase the possiblity of a mal - I beleive this may be the case but wish to draw on others experiences & knowledge

BSBD

Premier phreezone  (D License)
Sep 27, 2001, 8:39 AM
Post #2 of 6 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: Slider Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thing that might be causeing this problem is that your brakes are on a near stall point. During presurision the canopy is actually stalling and thats whats causing the rocking motion. Check the trim on the brakelines to see if you can let them out half an inch or so. That should eliminate the stall and you won't have to change the slider.

Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree Smile

3fLiEr

Sep 27, 2001, 8:50 AM
Post #3 of 6 (792 views)
Shortcut

I was not asking about changing the slider - i was after smoother fast openings - on normal packing i get very nice openings - I just wanted to know if partially collapsing the slider would help pressurise smoother with the faster opening - but your point about brakes is very interesting - I have line mods on my canopy - I have a sharper angle of attack and I also have very short brake lines - I only experience the rocking when I pack for fast openings though - on slow openings I do not experience this. Is there a reason for this?

BSBD

weid14  (D 20292)

Sep 27, 2001, 9:47 AM
Post #4 of 6 (786 views)
Shortcut

I would highly recommend you not partially collapse anything when packing... people who have done this report unusual openings (after they catch their breath and visit the chiroprator). who did your line mods and why? short brake lines from the cat's eye to the canopy will cause issues (not to mention result in a very sensitive flare point)

Premier phreezone  (D License)
Sep 27, 2001, 11:33 AM
Post #5 of 6 (779 views)
Shortcut

Also what type of canopy are you packing and what type of line mods were done to it? How many jumps are on the line set with the mods? The quicker inflation on a high speed opening could cause an out of trim canopy to react weird.

Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree Smile

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

Sep 27, 2001, 12:01 PM
Post #6 of 6 (772 views)
Shortcut

I agree with the others - do not try packing it with the slider even partially collapsed.. If your openings are too slow, a smaller slider may be in order - but I don't think that's what your after.. As for the 'rocking back and forth in a mushy state', as Phree stated, sounds like your brake lines are too short, causing the canopy to stall as it inflates - which would not allow for full pressurization..

What kind of canopy is it? After the canopy is fully inflated, with the brakes still set, does it continue to rock back and forth like it's stalling?

Mike

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)