Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ?

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arunhotra

May 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #1 of 27 (3677 views)
Shortcut
AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? Can't Post

Hello Folks,

Its nice to have a community and open forums to discuss this. I have just taken a tandem jump at Peperrell, MA for the first time in my life, I totally loved it and want to go for the AFF course. I live in Boston MA and the two choices for me are Pepperrell and Maine.

The staff at Pepperrell were really friendly and treated me very well when i was taking the tandem. Also, this place is 40 minutes from my house. The cons of this place is that the dropzone is much smaller compared to the other (Maine) and that brings to my question?

Should that be a concern for a newbie jumper? There are trees around and will that be difficult for newbie jumpers to steer and should I be going for a bigger dropzone.

Maine (skydivenewengland) has slightly better reviews and a bigger dropzone. However, it is 1 hour 40 minutes from my house.

What do you suggest? Is it better to go to a faroff place with better dropzone or a nearby place with a smaller one?

Thanks,
Arun


doorgirl  (B License)

May 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #2 of 27 (3587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I did my tandem at Pepperell too. I jump at SNE (Lebanon) now, and I haven't been to Pepperell in years.

Are you looking to spend your weekends at the DZ while you are learning, or are you planning on heading home once you finish up your jump(s) for the day? If you plan to spend your weekends jumping, the difference in drive won't really end up being a major issue. If you plan to head home to other plans at the end of the day vs hang out, the shorter distance might be a good thing for you. People who live in Boston jump regularly at SNE, Pepperell, and Jumptown. (I'd bet CPI too, but I've never actually been there so I can't say for certain.)

I haven't compared the open space measurements at the two dropzones, but learning anywhere near Boston will give you a better level of basic accuracy than jumping somewhere that you can land off easily. You'll train for the more forested areas we have here, and so long as you are heads up you can minimize the risks that come from that.

While your choice of DZ for AFF is important, you aren't locking in a single DZ for the rest of your career. You can (and should) jump at the different DZs in the area after you have enough experience to feel comfortable traveling to new environments.

OK, unbiased response is now over. SNE rocks! Come join us there. :)


StumpJump  (C License)

May 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #3 of 27 (3577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both great drop zones. It's like asking should you go somewhere good, or somewhere good.
I did AFF at Pep, so that makes it my home DZ. The crew that is teaching there now is really committed. They'll teach you good stuff. Pepperell is actually a physically larger, easy to land DZ with more outs, though you seldom need the outs. They are flying 7 days a week most weeks. The wind is a bit of a PIA there, because it's squirrelly, so you'll watch while others jump many days.
The vibe at SNE can't be beat. They are really friendly, mindful and easy to be around. I think they treat people with great respect, and there's a lot to be said for that. The landing area is a little rough, and you'll learn to land crosswind since the DZ is north/south oriented, and the wind is often from the west. No big deal, you learn it pretty quickly. Camping there is comfy with good showers and such.
So bust out to Pep if it's a sneaky week day thing, and do SNE when you can go up and stay. You can do a little of each. I jumped at 4 different places when I was working on my A.

~ Amped Andy


arunhotra

May 15, 2013, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StumpJump] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe i will go to both the DZ, starting with PEP as it is closer to me, and visit SNE for a weekend stay. I am planning to start June 1st week.

Thanks, you guys rock.


-ftp-

May 16, 2013, 6:23 AM
Post #5 of 27 (3431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't count out Jumptown....good place with great reviews. Also they have newer gear, not that it should matter for doing your AFF but it does provide piece of mind.


Skwrl  (C 36419)

May 16, 2013, 8:35 AM
Post #6 of 27 (3404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-ftp-] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

-ftp- wrote:
Don't count out Jumptown....good place with great reviews. Also they have newer gear, not that it should matter for doing your AFF but it does provide piece of mind.

This.

Arun, if you like SNE's facilities because it's "larger", you should definitely check out Jumptown. The facilities and gear are newer than Pepperell, and it is closer than SNE to Boston.

SNE is a great, fun place, don't get me wrong - they have a really fun scene with some great people. I just tend to find the drive is a little too long from Boston; particularly for AFF, where you may find yourself driving up just to sit around and not jump because of winds, weather, or whatever.

I jump regularly at all three locations (although admittedly a lot more at Jumptown and Pepperell than at SNE, because I live in Cambridge and the drive is just too damn much). You won't go wrong at any of those locations.

All three locations have good, safe instructors. My understanding is that all of the AFF instructing this year at Pepperell is being done by The Freefall School (Robbie Spenser and Tanya Hannington). I don't know if the other AFFIs at Pepperell actually teach there, or if that's exclusive to The Freefall School. (My understanding was that last year, all of the instructing was done by Skydive University exclusively, this year it's being done exclusively by The Freefall School, but I could be wrong on that.)

Jumptown has a bunch of AFFIs.

Both places churn out newly licensed skydivers regularly; based on what I've been able to tell, there's slightly greater numbers of them at Jumptown than at Pepperell.

For what it's worth, Jumptown is a club owned by its members (the jumpers); Pepperell is a private business. It prioritizes tandems. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, in itself; but at last year's boogie my group of six wingsuiters was kicked off a plane - after boarding - to make room for tandems, because tandems make the DZ more money. That demonstrates a difference in priority.)

As I said, you won't go wrong at any of these locations, though.


(This post was edited by Skwrl on May 16, 2013, 9:27 AM)


ShotterMG  (Student)

May 16, 2013, 9:06 AM
Post #7 of 27 (3397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a guy who went to Pepperel and rented a student rig. The owner did a gear check and handed it to him. He then did his own gear check and found the reserve cable completely severed. True story. It feels like a shitty thing to say online but it's fucking true and scary as hell.


doorgirl  (B License)

May 16, 2013, 1:38 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skwrl] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, don't count out Jumptown. I didn't mention it because I didn't want to further confuse the issue for him. I did a tandem at Peperrell, AFF 1-3 at Vermont Skydiving Adventures, finished AFF at Jumptown, and did at least some of my student jumps at SNE, tried to do student jumps at Peperrell during a boogie but couldn't get in the air, and got my A license at Skydive Perris.

Unless you feel a reason to change, stick to once place for at least AFF. I got top notch training everywhere I was taught, but it does make it more difficult if you move around. If you feel you want to change or want to get a different instructional perspective, do it. Your gut can tell you a lot that you can't quite put into words early on in a new experience.


Talon90dsm  (A 61921)

May 16, 2013, 3:33 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jumptown is great for AFF! The gear is newer and very well maintained. The staff is great and there are a lot of aff instructors there. It has a much bigger landing area than the others, which is comforting when your learning.


jzzsxm  (B License)

May 17, 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have't really jumped at SNE or Jumptown BUT I did get my license at Pepperell last year and can't help but recommend them.

I always felt safe and everybody was really tightly knit. The experienced jumpers definitely take students under your wing, so even while you're trying to get your license you're welcomed as a jumper there.

I'd get my license at Pepperell again in a heartbeat.


ChrisD  (No License)

May 18, 2013, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Don't want to turn this into some kind of popularity contest, but Pepperell is open more days of the week,...

Something to consider.

C


tonyhays  (D 26336)

May 19, 2013, 4:02 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

SNE is open seven days a week


DougH  (D License)

May 19, 2013, 4:42 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ShotterMG] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

ShotterMG wrote:
I know a guy who went to Pepperel and rented a student rig. The owner did a gear check and handed it to him. He then did his own gear check and found the reserve cable completely severed. True story. It feels like a shitty thing to say online but it's fucking true and scary as hell.

A "severed" reserve cable? Sorry but without pictures I have to raise the bullshit flag nice and high on this one.

Were you there? Did you see it in person?

The metal ball can fall of a reserve handle if it wasn't crimped right, pins can bend and break, but the only real way to have a reserve cable get severed is to cut the damn thing.

This is a pretty heinous accusation to level based on a second hand story. Unsure


ChrisD  (No License)

May 20, 2013, 7:44 AM
Post #14 of 27 (3042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DougH] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

I have heard the competition between these places is fearce, obviously it is spilling over onto this forum?

Doug is spot on by pointing this out!

Once again we are expected to belive that "Gear Checks" are being ignored!

Student gear gets checked three times, and more when the student pulls the cable to check for obstructions, (you know, hold the end of the cable, raise the reserve flap, pull back and forth, ((don't pull to hard to release the reserve.)) and just like Gerado someone wants us to belive this as gospel? )I mean student gear has premature wear just from being checked so much???Unsure

This is bull shit comment by "ShotterMG" who under normal circumstances is generally a great peerson,...so I am at of a bit of a loss to understand why this rumor persists? Josh, Don, Steve, John, Doc, and all of the fine folks at Pepperell would have your head if anyone finds out who you are, and personally I don't understand why you would wrongly say such a hurtfull thing??? and we do know who you are, trust me! Smile all your doing is putting some of us in a difficult position,...

So why would yo say something like this?



Back to the point at hand, I mentioned Peperell runs seven days a week, weather permitting. Another well informed individual points out that SNE is "open" seven days a week, that is not the same as running multiple turbine loads! (Must be a lawyer.) We at DeLand run turbines seven days and are well aware of the competition up North and who runs every day, It's a small Community remember???

Look, I love all yo guys up there, but I have access to the "numbers," and Peperell swamps every one else, that's all I'm sayin! Good / bad, whatever, I'm staing away from all other issues and personal stuff,...

Can't we all get along!


This is my point and it is worth mentioning again:

PEPPERELL IS THE ONLY NEW ENGLAND DZ THAT IS RUNNING MULTIPLE LOADS EACH AND EVERY DAY! Seven days a week all summer long. (weather permitting.)

Again, something to consider.

C


(This post was edited by ChrisD on May 20, 2013, 8:39 AM)


Skwrl  (C 36419)

May 20, 2013, 8:24 AM
Post #15 of 27 (3020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DougH] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

DougH wrote:
This is a pretty heinous accusation to level based on a second hand story. Unsure

I agree with this. I did AFF there (admittedly years ago, but...). I never got the feeling that the gear was unsafe or that there was a unsafe culture. If anything, I'd say the opposite. Pepperell, Jumptown, SNE, and CPI, for what it's worth, all have reputations of being safe places to learn.

I'd only give ShotterMG's comment any weight if the actual person who supposedly saw this came forward and shared his or her experience.

ChrisD wrote:
I have heard the competition between these places is fearce, obviously it is spilling over onto this forum?

I actually think it's something slightly different than "competition". I think it's almost tribal. With a handful of exceptions - happy to say the wingsuiter crew I hang out with is an exception - not a lot of people jump at both places regularly. Sure, you get a few guys who will say "I jumped [the other place] once or twice", but you don't get a lot of people who are regulars at both. Being a regular (at either place) gives you a different experience.

The fact that people tend to jump at one or the other tends to make people pretty parochial, cliquey, and tribal - and unwilling to hear that the other place may actually be pretty fun, too.

When I got to both places, I've heard people claiming that the other guys had said or did this or that... But it's always by people who aren't regulars at both...


(This post was edited by Skwrl on May 20, 2013, 2:05 PM)


tonyhays  (D 26336)

May 20, 2013, 8:33 AM
Post #16 of 27 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
PEPPERELL IS THE ONLY NEW ENGLAND DZ THAT IS RUNNING MULTIPLE LOADS EACH AND EVERY DAY! Seven days a week all summer long. (weather permitting.)

Incorrect. SNE also runs multiple turbine loads each and every day seven days a week. (weather permitting of course)


ShotterMG  (Student)

May 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #17 of 27 (2961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with what you and Doug are saying. I would never repeat something like that if it wasn't a fact. The owner knows what happened I am sure she can explain. Why dont you ask her? You should at least ask her before you excoriate me for telling the truth.
I will be there sometime this summer. I like the place. I will repeat the truth in front of the owner, Josh, Don, Steve or whoever the fuck is standing there. Wouldn't you?


excaza  (C License)

May 20, 2013, 5:11 PM
Post #18 of 27 (2914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

ChrisD wrote:
PEPPERELL IS THE ONLY NEW ENGLAND DZ THAT IS RUNNING MULTIPLE LOADS EACH AND EVERY DAY! Seven days a week all summer long. (weather permitting.)
I'm not really understanding how you supposedly have access to the numbers yet still make this blatantly false statement. Both Orange and SNE also run multiple loads each and every day, weather permitting, and have since their Otters returned from their winter homes. I'm sure as hell not flapping my arms to get up to altitude.

You're not doing anybody any favors spreading misinformation. All three places are wonderful DZs that can stand very well on their on merits. Let's just leave it at that, unless it's something that can actually be substantiated.


ChrisD  (No License)

May 21, 2013, 8:32 AM
Post #19 of 27 (2839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [excaza] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

excaza wrote:
ChrisD wrote:
PEPPERELL IS THE ONLY NEW ENGLAND DZ THAT IS RUNNING MULTIPLE LOADS EACH AND EVERY DAY! Seven days a week all summer long. (weather permitting.)
I'm not really understanding how you supposedly have access to the numbers yet still make this blatantly false statement. Both Orange and SNE also run multiple loads each and every day, weather permitting, and have since their Otters returned from their winter homes. I'm sure as hell not flapping my arms to get up to altitude.

You're not doing anybody any favors spreading misinformation. All three places are wonderful DZs that can stand very well on their on merits. Let's just leave it at that, unless it's something that can actually be substantiated.

Your the one that has used the word: "Substantiated."

Here is Jumptown's posted hours:

"Thursday 10 AM - Sunset
Friday 10 AM - Sunset
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays - 8 AM - Sunset

Memorial Day and 4th of July 8 AM on"

This was from their web site.

Skydive NewEngland Dosen't post hours, nor do they willingly give out information over the phone. At best they will ask that you call near or on the day you wish to find out if they are running!

So,...

I'm having a hard time understanding your comments about the hours of operation, especially midweek when you indicate someplace is open,...WHEN THEY ARE NOT???

You are correct when you point out all three are wonderfull places, but I made my point that I wanted to stay away from this type of discussion and concentrate sole'ly on the number of loads!

You have indicated DZs' that are open seven days a week when they are not,...

Whoa'''' be the dumb shit that shows up at Jumptown next tuesday, only to find a nice Otter just sitting there!

Same at SNE,...

I guess the only sensible thing to do is call ahead, wheather the wether co-operates is another discussion?

But were on a wind hold at the moment and we have a free phone, some of us just called all three places up ther in New England and what I pointed out in my first response still holds true!

We will be on the phone again next tuesday, and midweek,...and I suspect once again only Pepperell will have an aircraft in the air.

You want to / for some reason get into a pissing contest over this issue, I understand why,...it means money and drawing individuals to your particular DZ. I can understand that.

But when your first jump was in 1973, as mine was, and your first jumpmaster was Ted Strong, John Carlson, Butch Rubb, Ed White, etc, etc,...you learn a few things. Dan Poynter taught me to pack at a little place in Quincy MA,...

So I get on the phone when I'm in New England and I call individuals that have been in this buisness for thirty plus years

and when they tell me nothing is happining at SNE or Jumptown on a tuesday, "You had better try Pepperell," I listen.

How you can say what you have said and not expect individuals to call you on this I am at a loss for words,...ALL anyone has to do is pick up the phone and suddenly you look like some sort of ass???

The bottom line is if you want to jump, weather permitting, midweek which is all I'm sayin, New England sucks!!!


Again the bottom line, for anyone who cares, just pick up the phone on a Tuesday, Wendsday, and see who is home and who is not! And be a little hard arsed: pin the trained phone opeerator down and ask how many loads, how many people are scheduled for that day,...


Find out for yourself!
C

Angelic


excaza  (C License)

May 21, 2013, 4:39 PM
Post #20 of 27 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Skydive NewEngland Dosen't post hours, nor do they willingly give out information over the phone. At best they will ask that you call near or on the day you wish to find out if they are running!
Because they can't control the weather. Sitting on the ground because of weather isn't any different because the DZ happens to post their hours online.

Quote:
I'm having a hard time understanding your comments about the hours of operation, especially midweek when you indicate someplace is open,...WHEN THEY ARE NOT???
This happens because of weather, just like any other DZ. Neither Pepperell, Jumptown, nor SNE are different in this regard. If the weather is nice, all of them are going to be running.

Quote:
You want to / for some reason get into a pissing contest over this issue, I understand why
Because you're being intentionally obtuse and it's dishonest. That you're talking about SNE is irrelevant to me.

Quote:
So I get on the phone when I'm in New England and I call individuals that have been in this buisness for thirty plus years
When was the last time they spent time at the DZ you're asking them about?

Quote:
How you can say what you have said and not expect individuals to call you on this I am at a loss for words,...ALL anyone has to do is pick up the phone and suddenly you look like some sort of ass???
Like that time you said SNE didn't host a Safety Day?


tonyhays  (D 26336)

May 21, 2013, 7:01 PM
Post #21 of 27 (2783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Skydive NewEngland Dosen't post hours, nor do they willingly give out information over the phone. At best they will ask that you call near or on the day you wish to find out if they are running!

I can assure you SNE is open seven days a week running multiple otter loads during the summer. The only time we are not running is due to weather. During the busy summer months we will run up to 30 otter loads a day, even during the week. On the odd occasion we may have as few as five otter loads running during the week.

How do I know this? I work there. Look me up on the staff page if you want.

Quote:
But when your first jump was in 1973, as mine was, and your first jumpmaster was Ted Strong, John Carlson, Butch Rubb, Ed White, etc, etc,...you learn a few things. Dan Poynter taught me to pack at a little place in Quincy MA,...

When people start bragging about how great they, they seem to instantly lose credibility. If you have been in the sport as long as you say you have, you should know better.


ChrisD  (No License)

May 22, 2013, 7:33 AM
Post #22 of 27 (2728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [excaza] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Like that time you said SNE didn't host a Safety Day?"

If you don't post your information where people can see it ?

How are they supposed to know? Smile

And if you recall, I was the first to post a very nice, factual, wonderefull, because you guys earned it ! "review" of your safety day, from another state! Smile

You have both taken the time to provide a lenghthy response, for that I thank you , but you still havent provided any explanation as to why your great (not being sarchastic here, I do think you have a great place.) dropzone web site hasen't or dosen't post the hours of operation?

Be a little proactive and not so much reactive will ya? Blush

You guys have banter, your own site and facebook, in fact multiple places on facebook,...

and no posted hours, no daily posts of # number of loads, lousy, IMO , reporting?

You guy's could do a lot better, sorry it took so much prodding to get you to react.

Have you ever looked an others daily / weekly postings?

This week alone, I have seperate mailboxes for different dz's:

In your area:

CPI Banter 4, Facebook 2
Jumptown Banter 6, Facebook 5
Pepperell Banter 3, Facebook 1
Danielson Banter 0, Facebook, 2 (Individuals.)

SNE Banter ? Facebook ?

Now if you want to get really picky: How many loads on May 8, 2013?
C
Angelic

(I just got notified, pm, that the folks at Pepperell posted to their Banter.)

If you want to comment why your safety day date was not posted untill I, me, yours truly, brought it to yor attention, I'm all ears,...Smile








I belive this past post of mine is what your referencing, just a reminder:
SKYDIVE NEW ENGLAND Lebannon ME,

As my bud's in New England inform me,...

HAD A GREAT SAFETY DAY!
Great food! Great Beer! I couldn't belive that one, but yes Virginia they know how to take care of themselves and throw a party! (Beer and food came at the conclusion of the safety day presentations)

This is a quote: "What a great place, dedicated rooms for everyone: seperate: Aff training room, seperate tandem gearing up and traing room, carpeted packing areas, seperate meeting rooms, turbine aircraft during the season, gear shop...The people were wonderfull and extreemly helpfull...and open theater type day long presentation, the Local USPA rep updating info direct from the PIA symposium,...these people have really set the bar as standards go,... a dedicated airport!..."

Ok, Ok, enough...If anyone comes to the NewEngland area this place should recive serious consideration, "the reviewer" is a high time long standing person that has been around, and if they say this place is a great family freindly place with a great vib and plenty of skydiving type stuff then it's a must visit on my list!

They are also planning multiple visiting instruction on a variety of disiplins,...soo unlike my spelling check them out!!!!




In reply to:
.



In reply to:
.

Lebannon in ME is a great place, but with safety day in two days, (USPA suggested) they haven't posted any info as of yet? Just an observation....for your consideration.
SNE safety day is held later than most. This year it will be on April 6th.



And yes I can be a real pain in the ass,...relentless, childish, and sometimes really creepy,..these are just some of my more endearing traits,...



Now to answere the OP's original question, paraphrasing a bit:

"Should the size of the DZ be a factor in an AFF course"?

Yes.


On the other hand Pepperell and Lebanon both have similar sized area to land in, Both run very sucessfull AFF student programs.

Not much help hu??

I would add your lucky to be able to jump, enjoy, be the best student you can be, your abilitie's are more of a factor than any differences between the two DZs' you have mentioned.


C

I've edit this posting 3 times since lunch, because places have posted to thier respective banter/ facebook, I'll I'm sayin is SNE can use a little help in this area, unless of course they have nothing to post Devil ??


(This post was edited by ChrisD on May 22, 2013, 11:10 AM)


Premier TomNoonan  (D 24313)
Moderator
May 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Post #23 of 27 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for conversational banter, but I think this thread may have run its course.

To the Original Poster:

In summation: Consider yourself fortunate to be in a geographic location that offers a number of exceptional AFF programs and access to turbine aircraft. Whether you choose, SNE, Pepperell or Jumptown, you will find all three AFF programs turning out well trained competent A license skydivers.

Best recommendation I could make would be to suggest that you contact each school directly and speak with one of their instructors. Ask your questions about wind conditions, lift capacity, length of program, avialable staff to work with you, etc, anything and everything you can think of as it relates to your ability to accomplish your goal. Take all the input, form a well educated decision and then wherever that decision takes you, trust that you have made the right choice, as there is no wrong choice in AFF programs here.

Hope that helps, just make sure you enjoy the experience, where ever that may be.


ChrisD  (No License)

Dec 4, 2013, 1:22 PM
Post #24 of 27 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arunhotra] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

arunhotra wrote:
Hello Folks,

Its nice to have a community and open forums to discuss this. I have just taken a tandem jump at Peperrell, MA for the first time in my life, I totally loved it and want to go for the AFF course. I live in Boston MA and the two choices for me are Pepperrell and Maine.

The staff at Pepperrell were really friendly and treated me very well when i was taking the tandem. Also, this place is 40 minutes from my house. The cons of this place is that the dropzone is much smaller compared to the other (Maine) and that brings to my question?

Should that be a concern for a newbie jumper? There are trees around and will that be difficult for newbie jumpers to steer and should I be going for a bigger dropzone.

Maine (skydivenewengland) has slightly better reviews and a bigger dropzone. However, it is 1 hour 40 minutes from my house.

What do you suggest? Is it better to go to a faroff place with better dropzone or a nearby place with a smaller one?

Thanks,
Arun

Hey Arun how did you make out this season???

Some of us are interested in your experience. Many have found the area's around the two places you have mentioned challenging but still safe within the acceptable bounds. Many find the areas to be roughly equivalent in square footage, and this generally sparks a heated debate but no one argues about the difference in "outs."

New England skydiving was devastated this year by an inordinate amount of bad weather on the weekends. Week day skydiving took place in large numbers of runs on those days the respective Dz's were open. Because this seems to be such a heated topic I enlisted the assistance of a few jumpers at each area to keep track of the number of turbine loads undertaken at the three areas of interest: Orange, Pepperell, and SNE. Pepperell leads by an almost 2 to one margin over the other two. But considering I can't get the actual number of runs taken, the operators of the respective places refuse to give out this information, and one individual in-fact told me it was " nobody's business." There is great truth in the fact that my ResearchCrazy is ad hoc and mostly un-provable in many respects.

This is and should be a concern for all jumpers at all of these areas. considering the financial impact the poor weekend weather has had on everyone. If yor a student and could jump during the week this information is important so that you can make an informed decision. Some places were in fact running while others had aircraft sitting on the ground for a lack of customers.

I have it on good authority that many weekends SNE ran hop and pop loads at a financial loss! Due to low ceilings.
They have my utmost admiration and respect for supporting skydiving for doing this for their people. There definitely seems to be favorites and rightly so.

On the other hand by not giving out current conditions or actually committing if in fact on a good week day you are going to put aircraft in the air I believe this to be a deceitful business practice.

There is a difference between saying something like "the plane will run as soon as people show up, if they show up." And saying something like "we have 10 tandems scheduled for 12 oclock, and of course if fun jumpers show up we will continue to run the Otter." One place was more honest over the phone than another.

I say this now after the 2013 New England season is over because I experienced who was open and who wasn't and I speak from personal experience because I took the time to check.

They all have very endearing qualities but when targeted marketing takes place by a few, I certainly go on the defensive to point this out each and every time this takes place. Honesty continues to be the best policy and it will serve skydiving and the respective dz better in the long run!

C

In fact if you guys: Don't get your act together and form some sort of alliance, the financial devastation you all experienced this past year from more profitable Cessna operators has cut into your business and by all outlooks they will do the same if not increase their business next season. The lack of co-operation, animosity, and competition between these three places is palpable to even the casual observer. And the irony is that until you all learn some co-operative strategies to live under the same roof your in fact only hurting yourselves.

So please Arun, if you can take the time to share yor experiences this past season many of us would love to hear them!


(This post was edited by ChrisD on Dec 4, 2013, 1:34 PM)


ShotterMG  (Student)

Dec 4, 2013, 5:22 PM
Post #25 of 27 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] AFF - peperrell, MA or Lebanon, ME ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet another lengthy and entirely incoherent post from Chris D. Dude, what is wrong with you? Get off the computer and spend some time outside. I would say get a job but obviously you can't hold a job. Take up finger painting or something. Nothing you say makes any sense at all. Good grief. Unsure


First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

 


Search for (options)