Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Cutaway & FJC Questions

 


davyvfr  (No License)

May 12, 2013, 1:18 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Cutaway & FJC Questions Can't Post

Hello,

I did my first tandem jump and really enjoyed it. I decided I would like to take skydiving up as a sport with safety as my number one priority.

However, I understand cutaway's may happen and are not extremely rare, but what about if you have double line twist? (In other words, a line twist on your main and reserve). In AFF courses, do they teach and stress emergency procedures?

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

Next, and this is something I am not planning to do for a long time, as earning my A-License is my main concern. But, during night skydiving, how can you see if you have a line twist? Do you just sense something is wrong? Heck, you can't even see the horizon.


Southern_Man  (C License)

May 12, 2013, 1:30 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davyvfr] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

davyvfr wrote:
Hello,

I did my first tandem jump and really enjoyed it. I decided I would like to take skydiving up as a sport with safety as my number one priority.

However, I understand cutaway's may happen and are not extremely rare, but what about if you have double line twist? (In other words, a line twist on your main and reserve). In AFF courses, do they teach and stress emergency procedures?

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

This will all be covered in your first jump course. Just go to your course with an open mind and a view to learn and you will be fine. Yes, they teach and stress emergency procedures as part of that.


davyvfr  (No License)

May 12, 2013, 1:34 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Southern_Man] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Southern_Man wrote:
davyvfr wrote:
Hello,

I did my first tandem jump and really enjoyed it. I decided I would like to take skydiving up as a sport with safety as my number one priority.

However, I understand cutaway's may happen and are not extremely rare, but what about if you have double line twist? (In other words, a line twist on your main and reserve). In AFF courses, do they teach and stress emergency procedures?

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

This will all be covered in your first jump course. Just go to your course with an open mind and a view to learn and you will be fine. Yes, they teach and stress emergency procedures as part of that.

I just saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD9Zno15GRw

Thats why I made my post.


Southern_Man  (C License)

May 12, 2013, 1:43 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davyvfr] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Make an effort not to try to learn about skydiving on youtube (or on dz.com) before your first jump course. Only one reason is that the video says he got rid of his main because of a lineover, not line twists.

Malfunctions happen which is why they will train you for them.

Depending on where you look, the rate of cutaways is somewhere around 1 in 500-700 jumps.

Usually line twists are not a cause for cutaways on large, docile student canopies like you will be jumping.


Andy9o8  (D License)

May 12, 2013, 6:52 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davyvfr] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

I could do 5 minutes of standup from a straight line like that.


GLIDEANGLE  (D 30292)

May 12, 2013, 8:38 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davyvfr] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

davyvfr wrote:
Hello,

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

during night skydiving, how can you see if you have a line twist? Do you just sense something is wrong? Heck, you can't even see the horizon.

Re: losing instructors in AFF see this:

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=4378576#4378576

Re line twists at night:

Typically these jumps are in full moon. With eyes well adapted to darkness it is typically VERY easy to see the canopy and lines well.


BigMark  (D 17505)

May 12, 2013, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GLIDEANGLE] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

GLIDEANGLE wrote:
davyvfr wrote:
Hello,

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

during night skydiving, how can you see if you have a line twist? Do you just sense something is wrong? Heck, you can't even see the horizon.

Re: losing instructors in AFF see this:

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=4378576#4378576

Re line twists at night:

Typically these jumps are in full moon. With eyes well adapted to darkness it is typically VERY easy to see the canopy and lines well.

POTD! Laugh


davyvfr  (No License)

May 12, 2013, 9:20 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GLIDEANGLE] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

GLIDEANGLE wrote:
davyvfr wrote:
Hello,

Secondly, what are the odds of being separated on your FJC? I assume the instructor would be trying to attach himself with the beginner jumper.

during night skydiving, how can you see if you have a line twist? Do you just sense something is wrong? Heck, you can't even see the horizon.

Re: losing instructors in AFF see this:

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=4378576#4378576

Re line twists at night:

Typically these jumps are in full moon. With eyes well adapted to darkness it is typically VERY easy to see the canopy and lines well.

Thanks for replying,

One last question. When night flying to obtain your USPA D license, are you required to enter formation? (I know this has nothing to do about obtaining my class A license)


(This post was edited by davyvfr on May 12, 2013, 9:22 PM)


wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

May 13, 2013, 7:46 AM
Post #9 of 9 (975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davyvfr] Cutaway & FJC Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Line twists aren't that big of a deal until you get under higher performance canopies.
Line twists under student canopies are pretty common. Getting out of them is part of the First Jump Class.
Line twists under reserve aren't a big deal unless you are stupid low.

You can see a lot more on a night jump than you probably think. Ever been on an airplane at night?

And to answer your question:
Yes, formation jumps are part of the D-license night jump requirements.

A lot of these questions are covered in the USPA SIM



Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

 


Search for (options)