Forums: Skydiving: Events & Places to Jump:
Texas - where to sepnd the weekend?

strop45  (D 957)

May 6, 2013, 1:47 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? Can't Post

Kia ora

I'm coming to Texas for work and will have the weekend of the 8/9 June free. I'm flying into Houston and out of Dallas - Any recommendations for a good friendly DZ to have a few jumps? Wind tunnel?

Rental gear? Its a long way to bring my rig from New Zealand for a weekend, let alone issues with TSO rig needing repacking before jumping in US.

cheers :-)

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

May 6, 2013, 1:56 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strop45] Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are multiple options at both ends. In Houston, Spaceland is probably the busiest dropzone; it has good rental gear. In Dallas, Skydive Dallas probably has the busiest dropzone; I don't know about their rental gear, but it's probably just fine.

Transportation is going to be your biggest problem to either of them, unless you have a car. I'm assuming you're flying into IAH and out of DFW -- the distances aren't significantly different.

The biggest advantage that Spaceland has over Skydive Dallas is that you can get beer right down the road. Skydive Dallas is farther away from beer.

Spaceland has had lots of RW organizing lately; again, I don't know about SDD, but I'll bet they'll take care of you too.

And the wind tunnel is in Austin, sort of between the two

Wendy P.

(This post was edited by wmw999 on May 6, 2013, 1:56 PM)

Premier rwieder  (C 32349)

May 6, 2013, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1045 views)
Shortcut

SDSM in Fentress, Texas.

normiss  (D 28356)

May 6, 2013, 9:32 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwieder] Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

BillyVance  (D 18895)

May 7, 2013, 6:46 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwieder] Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

rwieder wrote:
SDSM in Fentress, Texas.

Yes, Skydive San Marcos. Good place. Another I know of (but haven't been to) is Skydive Temple.

lippy  (D 30348)

May 7, 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #6 of 9 (984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

As of recently there's beer just up the road from Skydive Dallas! No more 25-minute drives to McKinney!

chedlin  (A 65914)

May 7, 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #7 of 9 (979 views)
Shortcut

For the wind tunnel, well we have a new 14' tunnel here in Austin. I haven't jumped at San Marcos since I did my tandems in '01 so I can't say anything about their rental gear but I have met a few of their instructors at the tunnel.

If the weather is nice, rental gear might be in short supply at Temple, there were a lot of students last time I made it to the DZ.

strop45  (D 957)

May 7, 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #8 of 9 (954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chedlin] Texas - where to sepnd the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who has replied, after further discussion with the company I'm visiting, it looks like it will be Skydive Dallas this time - it works better with the site visits.

kia kaha

airathanas  (D 29277)

May 7, 2013, 3:54 PM
Post #9 of 9 (925 views)
Shortcut

I second the recommendations for Skydive Spaceland and Skydive Dallas. There is a bar/pizza joint nearby Skydive Dallas called The Loft- highly recommended as well.

Be sure to check out iFly in Austin along the way!

Forums : Skydiving : Events & Places to Jump

Search for (options)