Forums: Skydiving: Events & Places to Jump:
New Guy getting stationed in Germany

DustinGI  (Student)

Apr 15, 2013, 5:54 AM
Post #1 of 8 (744 views)
Shortcut
New Guy getting stationed in Germany Can't Post

So I am leaving the Azores for Germany, I am USAF and getting stationed at Ramstein (Kaiserslautern). I am Static Line trained by the US Army and with any luck I will get the Jump slot at my job in Ramstein and get back to Static. Static is fun and all but I am really want to get AFF and really looking forward to jumping all over Europe.
Got a couple of questions though;
1. Has anyone jumped at any of the following DZ or specifically got AFF trained at anyone of them?
2. I speak English and Portuguese (not 100% fluent) I am willing to learn German but I am not going to do it over night. How are the DZs on that?

FSC Mannheim - Herrenteich (leaning towards this one)
Fallschirm Sport Club Neustadt/Weinstrasse
FSV Saar

I did do a search for Ramstein and Military, did not come up with much that helped. My main concerns is how it was or how there are dealing with foreigners and the language barrier, I was there in the latter part of last year and it seems many Germans speak English. Anyways thanks in advance.
GI

jhm

Apr 15, 2013, 6:31 AM
Post #2 of 8 (716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DustinGI] New Guy getting stationed in Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

I jumped at Schweighofen when I was stationed in Stuttgart, and I highly recommend it for location, friendliness, and facilities. Great people and a really nice location out in the middle of beautiful rolling hills of German countryside. Good luck and have fun.

FrancoR

Apr 15, 2013, 9:45 AM
Post #3 of 8 (690 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
My main concerns is how it was or how there are dealing with foreigners and the language barrier, I was there in the latter part of last year and it seems many Germans speak English. Anyways thanks in advance.
GI

English is taught in all types of schools in Germany from 6th grade on. So in everybody should know enough to talk with you at the bonfire. A lot of Germans however travel to other countries a lot more, especially skydivers. Usually there should be no issue, but i would recommend that you talk to your future instructors and see how it works out.
At the DZ in Illertissen for example i don't know too many people but at least 3 of the AFF instructors have very good english.

Franco

zoobrothertom  (D 9397)

Apr 25, 2013, 1:47 PM
Post #4 of 8 (604 views)
Shortcut

The British Army also runs a dropzone somewhere around there in Patterborne. It's listed under British Army of the Rhine if you google it.

Good luck!

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Apr 28, 2013, 7:20 AM
Post #5 of 8 (549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zoobrothertom] New Guy getting stationed in Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was overseas, they made me buy a temporary BPA membership to jump at Netheravon and Weston. USPA ratings didn't count at all. I was on active duty then.

Chuck

zoobrothertom  (D 9397)

Apr 28, 2013, 6:25 PM
Post #6 of 8 (534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkymonkeyONE] New Guy getting stationed in Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, me too.

I even had to wear water wings for a few jumps because of a pond across the runway. When I pointed out that I had more jumps than other members, they let it slide.

Cheers!

flyboy62000  (D 29937)

May 19, 2013, 9:51 AM
Post #7 of 8 (410 views)
Shortcut

I jumped at FSV Saar when I was stationed at Ramstein. I found it to be a great place with some great people. I'll hopefully be finding my way out there sometime soon.

DustinGI  (Student)

Jun 2, 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyboy62000] New Guy getting stationed in Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all for the replies.

Forums : Skydiving : Events & Places to Jump

Search for (options)