Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Serious injury - Carletonville, SA

Erroll

Feb 25, 2013, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3144 views)
Shortcut
Serious injury - Carletonville, SA Can't Post

I believe there was a serious injury as a result of a spinning malfunction following a static-line exit. Possibly on Saturday?

I have no more details at present.

strife

Feb 25, 2013, 1:14 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Erroll] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

news

http://news.iafrica.com/sa/844567.html

A young teacher from Johannesburg is in a critical condition in hospital, after a skydiving accident near Carletonville, Beeld reported on Monday.

Mariette Loubser (25), from Winchester Hills, in the south of Johannesburg, did a static line jump from 3600 feet with the Johannesburg Skydiving Club (JSC) on Saturday, which was her second skydiving attempt.

"She did a very good jump from the plane," said Eugene Potgieter, the club chairperson.

"After her parachute opened, it began to spin."

Loubser tore her left lung in two places, broke eight ribs, fractured her pelvis in two places, and cracked her left leg. She also cracked vertebrae in her neck and back, and suffered bleeding on the brain.

She was rushed to the Milpark Hospital by helicopter, where emergency surgery was carried out.

Gert Loubser, Mariette's father, said he was very concerned about the lack of emergency assistance available at the landing site.

"The club should have been able to help her immediately; it was terrible to have to wait," he said.

According to Gert Loubser, the family had to wait 30 minutes for assistance.

DHemer  (B License)

Feb 25, 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strife] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad to hear of someone closer to home getting injured so serverly
The father was obviously upset but you cannot expect the DZ to have the capability to deal with injuries of that serverity

Scrumpot  (D License)

Feb 26, 2013, 9:33 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DHemer] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The father was obviously upset but you cannot expect the DZ to have the capability to deal with injuries of that serverity

As with any mainstream media report on a skydiving incident, it is difficult to discern exactly what is meant by this too.

Do they mean >30minutes for an ambulance/EMT response? Or, >30minutes for anyone even from the DZ to respond ("assist")? ...And then, what is meant, by this waiting for "assistance"?

Many Dropzones are located in relatively remote area's, and maybe not covered as well as such, by typical municipal "rapid-response" EMT/Ambulance service. You are right, if that is all it is - I'm not sure what could be further done about that, or how that would be the culpability of the DZ. But if it is meaning instead - that it took even the DZ (staff?) that long to "assist" - well then... ...???

mik  (D 11111)

Feb 26, 2013, 9:34 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DHemer] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Sad to hear of someone closer to home getting injured so serverly

Agreed absolutely. I have jumped at quite a few dzs (including jsc) on 4 continents and I can only recall one that I have jumped at that has full time fully qualified doctors on site, employed by the dz. of course even then there is a limit to what can be done for serious injuries.

BigMikeH77  (B 39490)

Feb 26, 2013, 9:56 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strife] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
did a static line jump from 3600 feet with the Johannesburg Skydiving Club (JSC) on Saturday, which was her second skydiving attempt.

"She did a very good jump from the plane," said Eugene Potgieter, the club chairperson.
According to Gert Loubser, the family had to wait 30 minutes for assistance.

I hope she pulls through with a full recovery. Scary stuff.
Not sure how the news or investigation process works in SA, so at this point there is nothing but speculation as to why her canopy went into a spin and what if anything prevented a chop.

First possibility that came into my mind was a brake fire or broken lines, but like I sait it could have been anything. An exit at 3,900, even with a slow inflation, likely would have given her enough time to cut away and deploy reserve.

I hope we get some more detailed info.

markbdaniels  (B License)

Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scrumpot] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As with any mainstream media report on a skydiving incident, it is difficult to discern exactly what is meant by this too.

Do they mean >30minutes for an ambulance/EMT response? Or, >30minutes for anyone even from the DZ to respond ("assist")? ...And then, what is meant, by this waiting for "assistance"?

Many Dropzones are located in relatively remote area's, and maybe not covered as well as such, by typical municipal "rapid-response" EMT/Ambulance service. You are right, if that is all it is - I'm not sure what could be further done about that, or how that would be the culpability of the DZ. But if it is meaning instead - that it took even the DZ (staff?) that long to "assist" - well then... ...???

A comment made by a tandem passenger on this article http://www.news24.com/...-in-skydive-20130225

Quote:
myself and my family were there on the day that the young lady had the accident and before she was even close to the ground 3 of the club members were already running to her and one had already called for medical help, it was about 15 maybe 20 min before the first ambulance got to the landing site, in total there were 4 ambulances that made teir way to the club and assisted the young lady. as per the medics on site they had her stable and ready for the hellicopter.

Scrumpot  (D License)

Feb 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markbdaniels] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the added information.

Then, based upon this - it would seem the father (retrospectively) expected the DZ to have a full-time ambulance, or EMT staff perhaps, actually on-site / on stand-by?

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2045 views)
Shortcut

We had similar problems in 2009 at the WC in SA. We had a competitor seriously injured and had to wait at least an hr while the hospitals cleared the paperwork. Luckily he didn't die.

To me, this is not the fault of the DZ in anyway. It's a broken medical, and social, system.

Ian

DHemer  (B License)

Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmdrennan] Serious injury - Carletonville, SA [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be an official investigation obviously into what happened to cause the spinning malfunction, I do not know if PASA publishes its reports for the general public though

kevino  (D 772)

Mar 10, 2013, 5:28 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1121 views)
Shortcut

It was a lineover malfunction on her second static line jump. She did her first jump 2 weeks before and was really good in the harness on the ground. Her first jump was a very good one with a standup landing. She must have frozen when the lineover happened. She had a radio in her helmet which was tested prior to takeoff. The instructor on the ground told her repeatedly over the radio, with no success, that she had a malfunction and must cutaway.

By the way, during ground school training, it is emphasised to the students that it is their responsibity to deal with the malfunction. The first time they see or are told about a radio is when they are being kitted up.

Regarding the alleged "delay"with the medical team. The paramedics were there 7 minutes after the incident. She had to be airlifted because of the severity of her injuries. It took the chopper 30 minutes to arrive. That was beyond Johannesburg Skydiving Club's control.

Kevin Owen
Chief Instructor
JSC

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)