Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front)

truzzo

Feb 12, 2013, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) Can't Post

It seams odd to me, that my Javelin rear risers are half an inch shorter than front.
I have a pair of Javelin risers that came along with my brand new rig, and they are even.
After getting a new canopy some years ago i asked my dealer to get new risers, pilote chute, bag ect,,, to fast swapping canopy if i needed to.
And now after more 700 jumps later and many different canopy i noticed that front risers are longer than rears .... i had strange opening with only a 120 katana so far.

my vc-96 opens good sub terminal so far.

It is normal , i mean to have uneven risers???????
they can lead to strange behavior for the canopy opening ??

Any thought would be appreciated.
Attachments: foto.jpeg (328 KB)

hodges  (D 108409)

Feb 12, 2013, 4:48 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [truzzo] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

Are these Javelin risers or are they from a rigger?

truzzo

Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hodges] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

Javelin risers

theonlyski  (D License)

Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [truzzo] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It seams odd to me, that my Javelin rear risers are half an inch shorter than front.
I have a pair of Javelin risers that came along with my brand new rig, and they are even.
After getting a new canopy some years ago i asked my dealer to get new risers, pilote chute, bag ect,,, to fast swapping canopy if i needed to.
And now after more 700 jumps later and many different canopy i noticed that front risers are longer than rears .... i had strange opening with only a 120 katana so far.

my vc-96 opens good sub terminal so far.

It is normal , i mean to have uneven risers???????
they can lead to strange behavior for the canopy opening ??

Any thought would be appreciated.

I've seen this before, but I believe they were Wings risers. Best I could tell they were made that way. The user was complaining of the canopy not flying completely straight. Possibly opening harshly.

RiggerLee

Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hook them to some thing where you can really lean back and put some load on them. How far off are they under load? There tends to be more stitching on the rear riser and you may be seeing shrinkage. The tension may have been turned up high on that machine when it was sewen. Or they might just be off.

Lee

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RiggerLee] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.
It is normal for rear risers to shrink 1/8 to 1/4 inch more than front risers. Shrinkage varies depending upon the sequence they are sewn.
For example, if both riser ends are sewn before the bottom, relative shrinkage will be zero.
OTOH if the 3-Ring portion (at the bottom) is sewn first, it is easy to get 1/4 difference in shrinkage.

theonlyski  (D License)

Feb 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RiggerLee] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hook them to some thing where you can really lean back and put some load on them. How far off are they under load? There tends to be more stitching on the rear riser and you may be seeing shrinkage. The tension may have been turned up high on that machine when it was sewen. Or they might just be off.

Lee

It was about a half inch under load. Only on one side rear riser. The other was fine.

NeonLights  (D License)

Feb 12, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

they do it for a reason, its math and science. dont worry about it

theonlyski  (D License)

Feb 12, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeonLights] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm sure you're well informed as to why the risers would be different lengths.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Feb 12, 2013, 6:12 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1400 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

For those who have one leg longer than the other.

GobbleGobble  (D 32887)

Feb 12, 2013, 6:13 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Javelin risers (rears half an inch shorter than front) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

For those who have one leg longer than the other.

Sadly there is a fair amount of difference between the three of them.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)