Really stupid 12 / 27%
R U F'in kidding me? 10 / 23%
44 total votes

psychoswooper  (D License)

Jan 30, 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem Can't Post

Recently saw photos of a TM taking a paraplegic on Tandem. TM wore both Handi Cam and top center mounted Go-Pros even though there was outside video. I personally think the top-mount was insane, (having seen many Sky-hook deployed reserve videos) and even the Handi Cam was a bad idea but that's just me. Wondered what other (preferably Tm's) thought?
Note: the psgr used to jump and a group of highly skilled jumpers built a big round on the Tandem. Not sure but I think it was also the TMs 1st Handicapped passenger.

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Feb 4, 2013, 4:22 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [psychoswooper] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

what the fuck is a "top center mounted" gopro?

DougH  (D License)

Feb 5, 2013, 1:15 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkymonkeyONE] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

I am thinking he means a go pro on the typical shit mount, top mounted on the TM's helmet.

Divalent  (C 40494)

Feb 5, 2013, 2:41 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkymonkeyONE] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

Like this (attached image)
Attachments: top mount.jpg (17.4 KB)

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Feb 9, 2013, 8:00 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Divalent] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

skydiver30960  (D License)

Feb 10, 2013, 9:57 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Divalent] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

On Topic: I personally can't stand handicam. So you can guess what my thoughts on TWO of them are.

WRT the quoted post: SUPERB, sir. I will now forever refer to that mounting style as the teletubby mount.

Elvisio "guffaws like this are why I hang on DZ.com" Rodriguez

Feb 11, 2013, 7:43 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1410 views)
Shortcut

OMG hilarious.. Yes ..like that!

Feb 11, 2013, 7:54 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [psychoswooper] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really curious as to the people who voted "no problem" do you seriously not recognize any problem with having a nasty protruding line catcher on top of your head on a Tandem jump (regardless of the passenger)? And have you ever seen video of Tandem reserve deployments up close? Sometimes all kinds of stuff is swimming around up there. Do you think this is making the skydive "as safe as possible" for the passenger? Do you realize that Tandem pairs are sometimes not very stable during reserve deployments? Are you actually a TM? I really want to hear why you think it is not a problem.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Feb 11, 2013, 8:22 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1403 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am really curious as to the people who voted "no problem" do you seriously not recognize any problem with having a nasty protruding line catcher on top of your head on a Tandem jump....

+1
It's the Mad Skillz, it hasn't happened yet syndrome.

linebckr83  (D 30571)

Feb 11, 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1379 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I personally think the top-mount was insane, (having seen many Sky-hook deployed reserve videos)

I think a top-mounted camera on a TI is pointless. ATLEAST a handicam is designed to feature the passenger...who can't be seen in a top mounted camera. That said, I haven't heard of skyhook-deployed reserves with problems because of a gopro. Have there been?

I run handicam so normally I wouldn't have an issue with it. But with a handicap passenger (especially your first one ever) that's just adding too much complication.

koppel  (F License)

Feb 11, 2013, 3:01 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1364 views)
Shortcut

where the hand-cam glove has a mount above the video camera for the gopro

double decker as it were

Feb 13, 2013, 9:07 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koppel] Handi Cam AND top mount Go-Pro on Handicapped Tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

No, not that. I mean mounted on top of the TM's helmet as in sticking up on top of the head!

NSEMN8R  (D 26397)

Feb 14, 2013, 3:40 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1221 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am really curious as to the people who voted "no problem" do you seriously not recognize any problem with having a nasty protruding line catcher on top of your head on a Tandem jump (regardless of the passenger)? And have you ever seen video of Tandem reserve deployments up close? Sometimes all kinds of stuff is swimming around up there. Do you think this is making the skydive "as safe as possible" for the passenger? Do you realize that Tandem pairs are sometimes not very stable during reserve deployments? Are you actually a TM? I really want to hear why you think it is not a problem.
If the passenger was a student it was a little bit stupid and irresponsible.
If they're all big boys, they can make there own decisions o how much risk is ok.

(This post was edited by NSEMN8R on Feb 14, 2013, 4:01 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Instructors

Search for (options)