Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons

BrianSGermain  (D 11154)

Jan 29, 2013, 5:48 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons Can't Post

If you enjoyed Parachute Malfunction Recovery video, please watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/...7g&feature=share

(This post was edited by BrianSGermain on Jan 29, 2013, 8:32 PM)

Squeak  (E 1313)

Jan 29, 2013, 6:04 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BrianSGermain] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brian, Firstly thanks for the videos you've posted and the tutes online.
I know you were high but I noted that you dont wear a wrist alti and your chest alti was never visible on camera.
How were you keeping track of altitude loss during that whole scenario?

BrianSGermain  (D 11154)

Jan 29, 2013, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

Great question.

In those days, I used a chest mount altimeter for all my skydiving, including test jumps. I relied on two audible altimeters for on-the-fly information. Now I use a L-n-B "Altitrack" on my hand, and I am very pleased with the unit in every way. It records essential data, and gives me a readout as I am looking up at a malfunction. Awesome technology, awesome company.

merkin86  (A License)

Jan 30, 2013, 8:14 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BrianSGermain] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Brian! I really enjoy these Safety First Videos!
I truly hope to attend one of your Canopy Courses one day soon!

FlyingRhenquest  (B 37920)

Jan 30, 2013, 5:04 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1583 views)
Shortcut

How hard was it to not pass out from the Gs you had to have been pulling? And if you had, would your AAD have saved your life?

Do you know what caused that malfunction that day? Or is it just one of those "Yeah sometimes that just happens" kind of things?

I'm sure that at 15000 jumps, you have a slightly different perspective on "safe" than I do with under 100 heh heh heh. That's definitely on my "not-to-do" list.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Jan 30, 2013, 8:46 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FlyingRhenquest] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sure that at 15000 jumps, you have a slightly different perspective on "safe" than I do with under 100 heh heh heh. That's definitely on my "not-to-do" list.
Yep. We're hoping young jumpers can distinguish for themselves what is advisable for their skill level and what is not.

Sometimes people forget to specify.

BrianSGermain  (D 11154)

Jan 30, 2013, 8:47 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FlyingRhenquest] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How hard was it to not pass out from the Gs you had to have been pulling? And if you had, would your AAD have saved your life?

Do you know what caused that malfunction that day? Or is it just one of those "Yeah sometimes that just happens" kind of things?

I never felt like I was blacking out. I felt disoriented, especially at the time of rotational reversal, but I felt aware enough that I would have been able to chop at any time. I just chose not to.

My Cypress would most likely not have saved me had I blacked out. It is not designed to do that. The SPEED edition Cypres that I fly with would not have exceeded the decent rate firing criteria. Even if it did fire, I would be risking a main-reserve entanglement, as the AAD does not cut the main away. I doubt anyone would buy an AAD that did.

As far as the cause of the malfunction, it was a packing error. A few friends pitched in and packed me up the night before as a favor while I was debriefing my class. It appears that the bag got spun before going into the pack tray. It happens. Had I not been wearing a belly camera, I believe I would have gotten the twists out quickly. I usually do. I have only needed to cutaway one line-twist, and I have experienced quite a few. I also pull much higher than the average jumper.

jerolim  (F License)

Jan 31, 2013, 12:30 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1495 views)
Shortcut

I had a worse spinning malfunction. I was jumping springo 140. It was packed by me, same way as hundred jumps before. When I tossed PC, I looked up and 3 center cells were sniveling and canopy already had 7-8 twists. I was bringing risers together and scissoring my legs but very soon I was on my back (canopy was in stalling and spinning). I have to cutaway fast as I have Pdf reverse risers (they are hard to pull after force increases).
I felt like reserve was opening in horizontal speeds as I had been sling shooed.Tongue After main was recovered I found that one line was pulled under twists. I suspect one line was snagged on velcro of factory diver. As container looks good (PdF Legend). I guess I'll never know.Crazy

fasted3  (D 30104)

Jan 31, 2013, 7:40 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Looking at the top of the risers, you can see that the right ones are about 1" 'longer' than the left. In this situation I would immediately grab the right risers and give them a good yank to try and even them up.
Your thoughts on this?

BrianSGermain  (D 11154)

Jan 31, 2013, 7:51 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fasted3] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed. If you can see the offset in the risers during a spin, definitely try to correct it. This is most often the source of the spin. The trouble is, seeing this during a spin is difficult.

format  (B 15348)

Feb 4, 2013, 8:37 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Please, you or anyone remind me where was some first_hand info on burning toggles in lineTwist.

Some burnable toggle that is.

BrianSGermain  (D 11154)

Feb 4, 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [format] Safety First TV Free Video: Spinning Malfunction Lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Please, you or anyone remind me where was some first_hand info on burning toggles in lineTwist.

Some burnable toggle that is.

If I understand your question, by "burning toggles" I assume you means melted brake lines. The spectra material has a low melting point, 297 F, so if you unstow your brakes in a linetwist, you are likely to melt them together. The firsthand evidence of this was a few years ago at Skydive New Mexico in Belen. Danny, one of the senior jumpers at the dropzone, had this occur while I was there teaching a canopy course.

This is why I now make all my linesets out of HMA with Dacron brakes.

Does this answer your question?

Bri

format  (B 15348)

Feb 4, 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1155 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
If I understand your question, by "burning toggles" I assume you means melted brake lines
Yes, I means 'melting brake lines' Smile

However, brake lines are less vulnerable than other lines, they're moving, don't they? (in opposite of been stationary - as ABCD lines are)

So...that's why I was wondering: did someone make a test:
- at what line twist, which kind of BRAKE lines melts first? ...do they?

I will have to believe you, I'd like to see a photo with description of it Unimpressed

edit: photo

(This post was edited by format on Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 AM)
Attachments: hma_lines.jpg (48.4 KB)

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)