Forums: Skydiving: Tandem Skydiving:
Your most remembered tandem

promise5

Jan 23, 2013, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Your most remembered tandem Can't Post

For those of you that take people up on tandems. What's your most rememberable tandem? Can be funny or touchy would love to hear about it.

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 23, 2013, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [promise5] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.dropzone.com/...%20daughter;#3299249

As an aside, Blues Skies, Gary, and Harry......

promise5

Jan 23, 2013, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.dropzone.com/...%20daughter;#3299249

As an aside, Blues Skies, Gary, and Harry......
wow, great story!! and neat to read. SmileSmile

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Jan 23, 2013, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1520 views)
Shortcut

I've taken 3 of my four kids. Those are pretty memorable moments.

One day I was suiting a bunch up for their tandems. A new mom, holding her month old baby, was watching with a gleem in her eye. I told her it looked like she really wanted to go herself. She said yes, but she had to feed her baby in half an hour. I told she'd be back by then. She quickly handed the baby to her husband and ran off to do the paper work.

Minutes later we're on the plane climbing to altitude. From the ride up, the exit, freefall and canopy flight, she was tuned in and doing fantastically. She enthusiastically enjoyed every moment of our jump. She would have made a great skydiver.

What humbled me so much was her trust in me. As a new parent, you do anything you must do to protect your baby. That she trusted me like that was very moving to me. Smile

The other memorable jump was when I got thrown up on. Tongue

promise5

Jan 23, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnMitchell] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

aaww that's sweet.
Ugh, I'm so afraid of doing that. I'm not eating that day.

piisfish

Jan 24, 2013, 1:47 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1476 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Ugh, I'm so afraid of doing that. I'm not eating that day.
wrong response. You need to eat, and drink.

promise5

Jan 24, 2013, 3:49 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, I can seee drinking to stay hydrated,but I won't question if I'm suppose to eat too, then hey I'll eat.Wink

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Jan 24, 2013, 9:54 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1401 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Alright, I can seee drinking to stay hydrated,but I won't question if I'm suppose to eat too, then hey I'll eat.Wink

Definetely eat. Not a lot, nothing heavy or greasy, but eat.

An empty stomach can make you just as queasy (maybe even more) than a full one.

jerry81

Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1377 views)
Shortcut

I would definitely recommend eating at least a light breakfast before heading out to the dz to do your tandem.

One of my more memorable jumps was a fellow who did OK in freefall, was happy to take over the controls under canopy and do some turns with me, then, at around 1500' just drifted off into unconsciousness.

I landed with him hanging limp in the harness and slid it in with no big problems. We unhooked him, loosened up his leg straps and lay him down with his legs up high.

After about 15 seconds, he popped up yelling:
"That was the craziest thing I ever did!!" Laugh
I don't know if he was conscious of what was happening or what. But... he admitted to not eating anything that day because of the nerves!
(The system was a Sigma with his harness properly adjusted after opening, so I'm positive his leg straps weren't an issue).

(This post was edited by jerry81 on Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 AM)

promise5

Jan 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jerry81] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I would definitely recommend eating at least a light breakfast before heading out to the dz to do your tandem.

One of my more memorable jumps was a fellow who did OK in freefall, was happy to take over the controls under canopy and do some turns with me, then, at around 1500' just drifted off into unconsciousness.

I landed with him hanging limp in the harness and slid it in with no big problems. We unhooked him, loosened up his leg straps and lay him down with his legs up high.

After about 15 seconds, he popped up yelling:
"That was the craziest thing I ever did!!" Laugh
I don't know if he was conscious of what was happening or what. But... he admitted to not eating anything that day because of the nerves!
(The system was a Sigma with his harness properly adjusted after opening, so I'm positive his leg straps weren't an issue).
No problem eating that day,LOL I sooo don't want to end up passed out on the ground with drool coming out my mouth. eeekkkk Tongue

theonlyski  (D License)

Jan 24, 2013, 2:40 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jerry81] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my first paid tandems was a bigger guy, freefall he was fine, had no issues under canopy, until about 1000'... He went completely limp.

NS,TIW in the pattern trying to figure out how to get this guy down safely, couldn't get his legs up, didn't want to slide him in on his face, what's a guy to do? I tried patting, yelling at him, nothing, just completely limp...

He comes to at just under 100' and I immediately have him lift his legs and slid him in.

Then he proceeded to tell me he was just relaxing, and that he had not passed out. Crazy

Sure buddy, keep telling yourself that...

promise5

Jan 24, 2013, 4:36 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Your most remembered tandem [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
One of my first paid tandems was a bigger guy, freefall he was fine, had no issues under canopy, until about 1000'... He went completely limp.

NS,TIW in the pattern trying to figure out how to get this guy down safely, couldn't get his legs up, didn't want to slide him in on his face, what's a guy to do? I tried patting, yelling at him, nothing, just completely limp...

He comes to at just under 100' and I immediately have him lift his legs and slid him in.

Then he proceeded to tell me he was just relaxing, and that he had not passed out. Crazy

Sure buddy, keep telling yourself that...
LOL LOL

love2flyhigh  (D 30338)

Mar 9, 2013, 7:32 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1050 views)
Shortcut

My favorite tandem was with my Mom. It was her second and it ended up being an 8 way! :) SO MUCH FUN! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH3TgVD0dFw

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Mar 30, 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #14 of 14 (804 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
For those of you that take people up on tandems. What's your most rememberable tandem? Can be funny or touchy would love to hear about it.

You haad to qualify the replies...
Unsure

Ahh...

- The one who shit an d puked himself...wasn't me.

Forums : Skydiving : Tandem Skydiving

Search for (options)