Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Tonfly Speed Helmet

dmcculloch  (D 5380)

Jan 7, 2013, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Tonfly Speed Helmet Can't Post

Hi guys and girls.
I am wondering if anyone here has a Tonfly helmet. I am looking ta getting the new Tonfly Speed and was wondering what the helmets are like. I am escpecially keen to hear of anyone with the external Optima port. I am looking at getting that option and would like to know how sturdy and strong are they. If they are a good idea and dont look likely to lose the audible on a hard opening or over time etc. or if they are more of a gimick and you are better of just putting the audibles inside the helmet. Also with that in mind how are the pockets inside. I have a Rawa and the audible pockets are very tight and pushes the audible into my ear and hurts after a few jumps so dont want a repeat of that.

FataMorgana  (C License)

Jan 7, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmcculloch] Tonfly Speed Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
I do own Tonfly Performer helmet (upgraded recently to Speed version). It is light, quiet and fits like a glove (literally, so make sure to get the appropriate size). I am a bit biased with regard to the external altimeter port, since display of my Optima got damaged due to the metal connector strike during opening (rental gear). As long as you are flying canopies with soft link connectors this should not be an issue though. Audible pockets will easily hold Optima or comparable size altimeter. I got >100 jumps on this helmet and still like it.

sepstrup  (C License)

Jan 8, 2013, 1:05 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I have a Performer as well, more or less same helmet, just with a chin strap instead of cup.

Im very satisfied, fits very well and its very light. I have an external optima port as well and it fits very well. Im very happy about the possibility to make quick changes in my audio-setup and I have grown a habit of checking if my optima and wrist-alti is on the same height when I put on my helmet. The build quality is very good, I can not imagine it could fall out in any way. I never thought about the possibility of the display getting damaged though, but then again I do use soft links.

All in all a big recommendation from here Smile

dmcculloch  (D 5380)

Jan 8, 2013, 2:19 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sepstrup] Tonfly Speed Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome :) thanks huys for the info. really appreciate it. :) looks like i will be adding the Speed to the order once I get measured up for the Uno.620 :)
Thanks again

EOCS  (C License)

Jan 10, 2013, 4:47 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have the speed helmet and am pretty happy with it. I ordered the first one in the incorrect size by 2 cm and it makes a world of difference so be sure you get the measurement right and double checked by someone else. lucky my girlfriend fits the first one so it didnt get wasted. I dont have an external audible port but do have the cutaway system. the internal ports work great in my opinion i can hear the protrack just fine and i dont see how it could ever fall out. i took some pics of both for you. they are here.

any more questions just PM me

http://imgur.com/a/CmyhL

dmcculloch  (D 5380)

Jan 11, 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EOCS] Tonfly Speed Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the info and pics. :) they look great :) Ordered mine yesterday with the cutaway and external port. Matt Red :)

obatzda

Feb 11, 2013, 6:34 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1326 views)
Shortcut

this helmet fits like a glove had to drill two holes in it for a cameramount and i was surprized how thin it was.

using it for skydiving and speedflying.

but as others mentioned earlier, DOUBLE CHECK THE SIZE, i was happy i could return my first order.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)