Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Wing Suit Flying:
Wingsuit double malfunction

miconar  (D 1084)

Jan 7, 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Wingsuit double malfunction Can't Post

This was probably discussed already, can someone point out a thread?

If not, any opinions/knowledge as to what happened here?

http://iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-skydiving-wingsuit-double-malfunction/

Thank you!

notsane  (D 9465)

Jan 8, 2013, 9:48 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miconar] Wingsuit double malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

He over-rotated on the barrel roll. As he unintentionally came onto his back, his legs were likely open and uneven. That probably caused the flat spin. Jumping an S-Wing at 14 wingsuit jumps didn't help any either.

The reserve pilot chute hesitation could have been due to the slow post-cutaway speed and the burble of the larger suit, although there may have been a gear issue too. IMO it's best, during skydives at least, to minimize the burble during deployment by closing the arm and leg wings.

piisfish

Jan 8, 2013, 9:58 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [notsane] Wingsuit double malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

http://iloveskydiving.org/...-double-malfunction/

hjumper33  (Student)

Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [notsane] Wingsuit double malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

Reason to bring up the RSL debate again? Had he had more speed, would there be less burble and therefore a clean extraction?

Pendragon  (D 104102)

Jan 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] Wingsuit double malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows. Sometimes these things just happen.

In umpteen hundred wingsuit jumps, I've had 1 experience where the final locking stows of my main wouldn't come undone, leaving me with the bag towing behind. This cleared as soon as I looked over my shoulder - the air rushing past me at that point was enough to finish off the job and I had only a line twist as a consequence (result of going asymmetric at that point). It's quite reasonable for either a bag or reserve PC in tow to be experienced for a few seconds in a wingsuit.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Wing Suit Flying

Search for (options)