Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Help with Cessna 182P jump mods

goobersnuftda  (D License)

Jan 5, 2013, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Help with Cessna 182P jump mods Can't Post

Looking for help in acquiring jump ship mods for a Cessna 182P. I've researched it to the following points:

-yes I know about the USA 337 form. They are not only clamping down on them in the southern US but are absolutely useless anywhere else.

-yes I know about the true blue STC from the guy in Texas. Talked to him directly and the STC is only valid if you fly the plane down to him there and he does the mod himself. Says he is a one man show so if your pilot can stay the week and help him hold tools and such, he can have the mod done in 6 days. Yea, not interested.

-searched the internet for pictures of 182P door mods and when I tracked down the tail numbers it has always been in some country that has real out there laws that don't apply to North America.

The crazy issue is that this plane is too new (1972) and no one has a real STC or even a limited STC for it that I can find. All the jumpship mods come to an end at the N model.

If anyone knows of someone who has been able to modify a Cessna 182P with even a L-STC, please let me know. I would love to find the AME company that got those mods approved and would help compensate the $$$ you had to put out in order to secure that L-STC.

aphid  (D 535)

Jan 6, 2013, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goobersnuftda] Help with Cessna 182P jump mods [In reply to] Can't Post

Just my opinion but the door mod is unrelated to the suffix designation. Regardless though, you could give these guys a call...

http://www.airxairframe.com/

One of the partners imported a 182N and then converted it for his new small skydive operation. AFAIK, his own design, his own tinbashing, and the LSTC through his own engineer.

If you need an introduction Burke, send me a private note.

John

(This post was edited by aphid on Jan 6, 2013, 6:05 AM)

jonstark  (D 8298)

Jan 6, 2013, 8:09 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goobersnuftda] Help with Cessna 182P jump mods [In reply to] Can't Post

In the USA a jump door is still field approvable if you approach the FSDO in the correct manner. I see that you are in Canada and cannot advise.

You'll also want to look into the "fresh pick" gross weight STC. It is now available from A/C Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/...ges/cessna182stc.php

jon

(This post was edited by jonstark on Jan 6, 2013, 8:11 AM)

totter

Jan 6, 2013, 9:23 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aphid] Help with Cessna 182P jump mods [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Just my opinion but the door mod is unrelated to the suffix designation.

Techically a Cessna door is a Cessna door. Whether an A model or a P.
But as far as the STC paperwork is concerned they can be greatly different.

With an STC, Canadian or US, there needs to be an applicabilty listing which denotes what aircraft the STC can be installed on. This listing not only includes the aircraft type, but also the model and sub-model or mark, (DHC-6-100, 200, 300; 208A, B; 182A, B, C). If your specific aircraft model is not shown you can not install the mod.

The L-STC (Limited) is Canada's version of the Form 337. This is used when an operator would like to install a mod on an aircraft that they own and do not plan on selling the mod to other owners. Same thinking as the 337, but with having to go thru the STC process. These are serial number specific and can only be installed on the serial numbers listed on the STC.
So even if he finds an L-STC for jump mods he would still need to go thru the whole STC approval process, less R&D if he finds one for a P.

Sounds like giving the guys at air x a cal is the way to go.

goobersnuftda  (D License)

Jan 6, 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totter] Help with Cessna 182P jump mods [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So even if he finds an L-STC for jump mods he would still need to go thru the whole STC approval process, less R&D if he finds one for a P.

You are correct on all that info. On our 206 (even less STC mods available for that) we were about to go down the L-STC route. Flight testing, engineering drawings etc. had the bill start at $10,000. If you happen to know of someone else who has the same model plane that you do and they have already done the L-STC approval, approach them and for some compensation $$$ you can use the same AME/AMO engineering drawings and apply that to your plane.

Approval process is much easier if the exact same drawings have already been approved for someone else and you are applying them to the exact same aircraft. Why forge a brand new path when someone else has already done it before ..... thats my way of thinking :)

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)