Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Canopy Relative Work:
CRW with a Pilot

Croc  (D 29552)

Jan 5, 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1252 views)
Shortcut
CRW with a Pilot Can't Post

I sold my CF Storm and, since then, I've occasionally been doing some casual CRW with a friend while flying my sport rig, a Pilot with HMA lines. I asked Aerodyne about getting a Dacron lineset with non-cascaded A and B lines (Not red 900# A lines, just regular Dacron lines) and the person I talked to was certain it could not be done. I'm just curious--is there any downside to having non-cascaded A and B lines on a Pilot? Will it change its flight chacteristics? Safety issues? I've had Spectres with CRW linesets installed by PD, so her responce surprised me.

Premier faulknerwn  (D 17441)
Jan 5, 2013, 3:47 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Croc] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect that's its because someone would have to do some additional measuring to figure out the correct b line length. Every triathlon I reline I get Dacron crw lines on and no one blinks an eye. But they already know the measurements for that. You probably can get a Dacron line set with standard cascaded lines without a problem.

skytribe  (D 9403)

Jan 5, 2013, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Croc] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Will it change flight characteristics - probabably as dacron will create more drag but probably not noticeable. Is it safety issue - I would doubt that.

My guess is that they just don't want to do the additional work of measuring the lines and building a non standard lineset.

Ask to speak with a rigger there rather than the office staff.

uberchris  (A License)

Jan 5, 2013, 6:39 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skytribe] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone have any pictures of non-cascaded linesets?
specifically, im wondering in regards to NON-cascaded A and B lines, if each of the front risers would simply have double the normal amount of lines than a traditional cascaded canopy? so i guess 8 lines connected to each front riser link rather than 4?

texascrw  (D 18006)

Jan 5, 2013, 7:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faulknerwn] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I suspect that's its because someone would have to do some additional measuring to figure out the correct b line length. Every triathlon I reline I get Dacron crw lines on and no one blinks an eye. But they already know the measurements for that. You probably can get a Dacron line set with standard cascaded lines without a problem.

Wendy, you are correct about getting Dacron lines for a Pilot. I ordered a new Pilot last year and they put Dacron on for me. Rob Fischer is the guy to talk to. As far as getting non-cascaded center A's and B's, I don't know. Talk to Rob about it.

Premier faulknerwn  (D 17441)
Jan 5, 2013, 7:23 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [uberchris] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally for crw canopies the center 2 lines and sometimes the outside 2 lines are non-cascaded. The rest of the a lines are the same as normal. You are correct in that it does just add a couple of extra lines on the front risers.

Croc  (D 29552)

Jan 6, 2013, 6:48 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [texascrw] CRW with a Pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll call Rob Fischer this week.

(This post was edited by Croc on Jan 6, 2013, 7:52 AM)

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Canopy Relative Work

Search for (options)