Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
PD-190 9 cell Wingloading

xijonix  (B 39585)

Jan 3, 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #1 of 4 (861 views)
Shortcut
PD-190 9 cell Wingloading Can't Post

I've noticed that the old PD 9 cells have a max weight equal to their size. I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1 but that they would not last as long if the max exit weight is exceeded. Has anyone flown one of these canopies at a higher wingload than recommended and what was can you say about it.

irishrigger  (D 297)

Jan 3, 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #2 of 4 (810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xijonix] PD-190 9 cell Wingloading [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say the old PD canopys were F-111 material hence they had a max load of the size of the canopy.
the wingloading you describe i would suggest is for a ZP material canopy, the tend to fly a bit better with a smaller wing loading.
if you considering buying a main, i would strongly suggest that you get a ZP canopy to start with. ZP do last longer than the F-111 material

Rodger

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jan 5, 2013, 7:11 AM
Post #3 of 4 (626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xijonix] PD-190 9 cell Wingloading [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1

Never heard that one. I've flown F111 9 cells at 1.1 ish; they flared like shit.

If you're looking to save money on a used main, you'll be happier in the long run with an older zp canopy - perfectly airworthy original Sabres and Triathlons can be found for under $500.

DrewEckhardt  (D 28461)

Jan 5, 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #4 of 4 (582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] PD-190 9 cell Wingloading [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1

Never heard that one. I've flown F111 9 cells at 1.1 ish; they flared like shit.

If you're looking to save money on a used main, you'll be happier in the long run with an older zp canopy - perfectly airworthy original Sabres and Triathlons can be found for under $500.

Less popular canopies are even more affordable (yet less common). You can find used Monarchs for $350.

Having trim checked before you buy would be a fine idea though - although the ZP fabric can last for thousands of jumps, outboard Spectra lines can shrink s ignificantly in hundreds of jumps changing the trim, how a canopy opens, and how it flares.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)