Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Newbie Question - NVG's?

Xitesmai  (Student)

Dec 10, 2012, 2:06 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Newbie Question - NVG's? Can't Post

I was just reading up on the types of licenses and jumps i came across the "night jump".

In the service my team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ.

Is this not a common practice in the sport world? Just curious....sorry for my n00bness.

riggerpaul  (D 28098)

Dec 10, 2012, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Xitesmai] Newbie Question - NVG's? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I was just reading up on the types of licenses and jumps i came across the "night jump".

In the service my team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ.

Is this not a common practice in the sport world? Just curious....sorry for my n00bness.

A night jump involves experiencing the limitations encountered when jumping at night.

NVGs would be counter productive with regard to that goal.

I would hope that officiating organizations (USPA, for instance) would dis-allow NVGs on jumps that were meant to satisfy a night jump license requirement.

Akokisa

Dec 10, 2012, 3:40 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1320 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Is this not a common practice in the sport world?

No. We can't afford 'em.

diablopilot  (D License)

Dec 10, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut

A current gen NVG set up would be about half the cost of most people's rigs, and the hazard for snags is huge....

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Dec 10, 2012, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Newbie Question - NVG's? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
A current gen NVG set up would be about half the cost of most people's rigs, and the hazard for snags is huge....

It also takes a lot of practice to use them safely, especially for landing.

And besides, half the fun of night jumps is the fact that it's dark. Using NVG would take that away.

GLIDEANGLE  (D 30292)

Dec 10, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Civilian Night Jumps tend to occur on full moon nights and often include supplemental lighting in the LZ. I suspect that the military avoids those bright nights for ops. If you allow adequate time for your eyes to adapt... full moon provides plenty of light for flying and landing.

DBCOOPER  (D 24112)

Dec 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #16 of 16 (616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Newbie Question - NVG's? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

So say $4000 for a set? I'll take two. Last goggles I wore we're $14,000.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)