Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
harness size

roam82  (C License)

Dec 8, 2012, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1175 views)
Shortcut
harness size Can't Post

Hi!

I want to skydive a base canopy and the only person I know who has a container big enough to fit it is like 6'2 and I<m 5'9...I would only hop and pop it...Can it be dangerous? The only thing I can think of is finding the handles in case of EPs...

thanks!

&#3614;&#3609;&#3615;&#3607;

davelepka  (D 21448)

Dec 8, 2012, 5:01 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roam82] harness size [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the student rigs at the DZ? Those are generally sized for large canopies and average sized people.

BigMark  (D 17505)

Dec 8, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] harness size [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure your leg straps are real snug as the chest strap will be around neck high, have fun!

roam82  (C License)

Dec 8, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] harness size [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Are DZs usualy open on swaping canopies on student rigs?

R82

NeonLights  (D License)

Dec 8, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 9 (990 views)
Shortcut

If his rig doesnt fit, you should just try to BASE jump a skydiving canopy. Either way produces the same result

mototryph1  (A 64367)

Dec 8, 2012, 8:12 PM
Post #6 of 9 (984 views)
Shortcut

Does this base rig have a reserve? Sorry misread thatWink

(This post was edited by mototryph1 on Dec 8, 2012, 8:13 PM)

davelepka  (D 21448)

Dec 8, 2012, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 9 (965 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Are DZs usualy open on swaping canopies on student rigs?

Provided that you are a regular jumper there, your skills match up with whatever it is you're trying to do, and you're willing to pay for the rig rental and for someone to do the swap, I'd say there's a good chance it would happen.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Dec 9, 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #8 of 9 (885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeonLights] harness size [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If his rig doesnt fit, you should just try to BASE jump a skydiving canopy. Either way produces the same result

...................................................................................
Caution!
Sarcasm does not always translate well into print.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #9 of 9 (812 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi!

I want to skydive a base canopy and the only person I know who has a container big enough to fit it is like 6'2 and I<m 5'9...

.....................................................................................

The real question is: what is the difference between your torso lengths?
To find your torso length, follow the SunPath (Javelin) harness-measuring method.
Hint: you wil only get relevant numbers if measured by a rigger or tailor who is familiar with the measuring method.
Subtract your inseam from your total height. Then subtract another 20 inches (head and neck). This will produce a number in the high teens (e.g. 19 inches) which should be the same length as your Main Lift Web (the distance between the hip joint and the bottom of the 3-Ring harness ring).
IOW if the other guy is "short-waisted" and you are "long-waisted" the same harness will be safe and comfortable on both of you.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)