Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
Hello from Blacksburg, VA

Xitesmai  (Student)

Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #1 of 8 (682 views)
Shortcut
Hello from Blacksburg, VA Can't Post

Greetings all!

I'm actually new to the sport of skydiving. I've only had one jump in my life but what a cool jump it was. I was able to jump with a special forces unit during my time in the Navy.

Now I'm looking to start jumping more regularly. I think the DZ I'll be going to is Skydive Orange in VA.

Any advice for an old (32yr) codger looking to ride the wind?

EChen22  (B 38165)

Dec 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #2 of 8 (641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Xitesmai] Hello from Blacksburg, VA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Any advice for an old (32yr) codger looking to ride the wind?

Yep, kiss your savings account goodbye!! Wink

In all seriousness, even if you're not jumping every weekend, you'll pick up a lot just being at the DZ. Watching landing patterns, how people/canopies react in the wind, etc.

Welcome!

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Dec 6, 2012, 4:45 AM
Post #3 of 8 (599 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile I'm glad to hear we have another one hooked! Are you going to start your training now, or wait until Spring?

Xitesmai  (Student)

Dec 6, 2012, 6:52 AM
Post #4 of 8 (580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] Hello from Blacksburg, VA [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Welcome to the forums! Smile I'm glad to hear we have another one hooked! Are you going to start your training now, or wait until Spring?

Thanks for the welcome.

Probably spring. I'm also a Scuba diver and I was in BUDS so I know how extremities don't articulate as well in cold weather, and I've been in enough C-130s to know how cold a fuselage gets at altitude.

Can anyone point me in a direction so I can get some base knowledge prior to doing AFF?

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Dec 6, 2012, 7:21 AM
Post #5 of 8 (577 views)
Shortcut

Check out the USPA site, http://uspa.org. The Skydiver Information Manual (SIM) is on there. Smile

Xitesmai  (Student)

Dec 6, 2012, 8:30 AM
Post #6 of 8 (573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] Hello from Blacksburg, VA [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the help.

I'll pick up a copy to keep me warm during this ridiculous thing called Winter.

Lonestar  (B 37660)

Dec 9, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #7 of 8 (520 views)
Shortcut

Welcome! It's cool to see another military jumper in VA. I've been meaning to go down to Skydive Orange for a while now, but work has had other ideas for me! I think they use a Skyvan out at Skydive Orange which compared to a C-130 is like a slow, small, box version of a C-130 :P It's a good aircraft to jump from though.

(This post was edited by Lonestar on Dec 9, 2012, 1:39 PM)

BlueSkiesRick  (Student)

Dec 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #8 of 8 (420 views)
Shortcut

Xitesmai - Out of curiosity what kind of jump was it with the SF unit while you were in the Navy? I myself am also brand new to skydiving and will begin my AFF this month at Virginia Skydiving Center. Orange is closer to me, but VSC had better prices and just ended up being my DZ of choice. Let me know how it is at Orange.

I am also a paratrooper in the USAR w/ 7 static line jumps so this freefall stuff should be quite interesting - I'm pretty damn excited.Laugh

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)