Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 24, 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #26 of 38 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnMitchell] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Some wingsuiters have been closing their rigs with the "new" UPT method for a long time. Chuck Blue turned me on to this several years ago, and the mechanics of it have no downside.
I'm switching over next pack job. I never understood why they started bringing it out the top anyway. Smile

I've been doing it for about a year on my personal rig and sometimes on rigs I pack for other people (I tell them why and it's their choice)

Haven't had a problem with it!

bucketlistpilot  (C 1204)

Jul 24, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #27 of 38 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been doing it for about a year on my personal rig and sometimes on rigs I pack for other people (I tell them why and it's their choice)

Same here. I also psycho pack and pack my pilot chute using Brian Germain's video method.

What surprises me is the number of times that jumpers with far more experience than me (including a couple of riggers), have told me that all 3 methods are wrong and they have no idea why I would do it the way I do.

They do tend to leave it alone once I explain the reasoning and also the research I did before using these methods.

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Jul 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #28 of 38 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Worked three times today. Smile

ChrisD  (No License)

Nov 22, 2012, 7:22 PM
Post #29 of 38 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [masterrigger1] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is more going on here than at first glance? Three conditions: 1. pin pierces bridal by pin movements. 2. Bridal moves and pin dosn't. 3. bridal moves really fast, like the end of a bullwhip...kind of a shockwave. In the first you might think that there would be some tell tale evidence, like the closing flap being damaged by the end of the pin? In the second: Since the pin is also being pulled as the bridal moves...you would think then that the downstream portion of the bridal is being pulled against the non-moving pin to impale itself...look at the pictures...perhaps rather than a nylon tab to attach the pin...spectra or something that dosen't allow any slack in that immediate area? Or conversley more streachable material immediatly after the pin attach tab? Perhaps having the slack, after the pin, as in using the velcro tabs...actually creates this issue? Another way to look at this would be to say: that the pin is not moving at the same speed of the bridal. Condition 3, shock wave, move all of the downstream material away from the pin...so when the pin moves it can't possibly impale anything important??? Just some thoughts on Turkey day, after a few???

(This post was edited by ChrisD on Nov 22, 2012, 7:29 PM)

ChrisD  (No License)

Nov 26, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #30 of 38 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Someone correct me here?? The velcro tab is to ensure slack upstream of the pin, (Kind of a stick this here for dummies.) the most applicicable location seems to be on the top flap or close by....What if we put the velcro tabs on the bridle itself? ya I know the hook section might scratch the container?? Another beer another day.

We can put in a small magnet and a colored tab.

hillson  (D 33134)

Nov 26, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #31 of 38 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Divalent] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

How exactly does the pin end up piercing the bridle?

Piercing seems like an odd turn of phrase...however, do know of a jumper that had a similar mal a month or two ago. The pin didn't go "through" the bridle but what ended up happening was that when the pin rotated the tip of it got caught under the flap resulting in a PCIT / total depending on your POV...

See attached.

(This post was edited by hillson on Nov 26, 2012, 4:26 PM)
Attachments: pin.jpg (53.1 KB)

theonlyski  (D License)

Nov 27, 2012, 5:42 AM
Post #32 of 38 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisD] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Unsure

Someone correct me here?? The velcro tab is to ensure slack upstream of the pin, (Kind of a stick this here for dummies.) the most applicicable location seems to be on the top flap or close by....What if we put the velcro tabs on the bridle itself? ya I know the hook section might scratch the container?? Another beer another day.

We can put in a small magnet and a colored tab.

I made a one off bridle that has the velcro removed and has a small magnet in the top flap of the container as well as one in the bridle. My reasoning was it will NEVER wear out (unlike velcro).

However, I stopped packing it that way and now pack it so that both sides of the bridle come from under the side flap. Pretty hard to fuck that up. Laugh

kallend  (D 23151)

Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #33 of 38 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ridestrong] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, why are we seeing an apparent epidemic just now? Hasn't much the same arrangement of pilot chute, bridle and pin been used for some 2 decades?

ChrisD  (No License)

Nov 27, 2012, 8:39 PM
Post #34 of 38 (872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally my sarcasim is pointing out that the manufacturers can only do so much...If you are the one that mistakenly sets your brakes above the little metal ring...If you are the one that traps your bridle so that it will never release..."you can't fix stupid," BUT what if we can do something about it??? This whole thing was started by Brian G., and I thank him for this, I certianly can use constant reminders, no harm right? But his retelling of the story was that this particular hang happened to the same person TWICE. I'm not ging to second guess a fellow jumper with thousands of jumps...But this one has kept me up at night wondering why it happened twice to the same person. Being a newbie I personaly do what the aformentioned and Brian reccommends and what PD lists as the alternate way up from the bottom...BUT and this is a big but...more than one gear/pin check has had to be redone because the local S & T & A dos not share the same view!!!

Scrumpot  (D License)

Nov 28, 2012, 8:07 AM
Post #35 of 38 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hillson] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks also like in that picture - that the pilot chute may also not be cocked! - FWIW,

Deyan  (D 322)

Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #36 of 38 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scrumpot] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Looks also like in that picture - that the pilot chute may also not be cocked! - FWIW,

The PC is cocked. This is a Wings PC and they don't color the kill line with marker like others do. They sew 2 rows (maybe 3, I'm not really sure ) of straight stitch with green thread. If you take another look, you will see the stitches Wink

Southern_Man  (C License)

Nov 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #37 of 38 (714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deyan] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The PC is cocked. This is a Wings PC and they don't color the kill line with marker like others do. They sew 2 rows (maybe 3, I'm not really sure ) of straight stitch with green thread. If you take another look, you will see the stitches Wink

I did not know that. My Wings and all the wings rigs I can remember packing have had a colored kill line but I guess those were done in the field.

If it is a Wings rig then the flaps are closed in the wrong order.

Bertt  (D 99999)

Nov 28, 2012, 2:58 PM
Post #38 of 38 (649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Southern_Man] USPA update on another pilot chute-in-tow due to bridle piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean left/right vs. right/left, the Wings manual had a picture that showed one way and text that described the other way. I emailed them to ask which was right, and they said it really didn't matter much, but that closing right/left held the bridle a little tighter when it was tucked under the flap.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)